Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Diabetes and Prediabetes Chat and Support

Hello there! Have you been diagnosed with diabetes, or told you are prediabetic? Come and chat with us! We are here to support each other and talk about how we are handling our Blood Sugar.

It seems that we get a lot more views than we get posts. It would be nice if some of those lurkers joined in the discussions and added some different viewpoints!! Don't be shy!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-02-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #2  

I have continued to research my itchy skin problems. I found a site that discusses problems with itchy skin in Diabetics. I had heard of that before but was just assuming my itchiness was from my psoriasis, even though my psoriasis did not itch until the past year or so. Here is the site, and it has a lot of information about it that others might find interesting. It also references other signs and symptoms of Diabetes.

http://early-diabetes-symptoms.com/t...es-itchy-skin/

A while back I bought some lotion that is formulated for Diabetes Itch but didn't notice much improvement. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. Now I bought Cetaphil Lotion for Eczema even though I know what I have is not Eczema, and it seems to be working a little better. Constant itching can be very uncomfortable after a while! I am also trying to stay away from foods that can contribute to inflammation.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-02-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:34 PM   #3  

Thanks for the new thread Trish
Carol I hope your new meds help
Sept wasn't great for weight loss but October is starting with a bang! Down 1.7 this week!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #4  

That's a great start p.a. Keep going!
Old 10-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

p.a. I didn't do good with September either. My weight was up 1.6 lbs on Oct 1st. Congratulations on your weight loss.

Carol Sue Thanks for the website. I haven't read it yet but will. I think it is good to know more about these things. I know I have itching sometimes and have no idea why. Many times no rash or anything just itching. Hope the medicine continues to help.

Well, I'm losing weight but only because I can't eat. Just not hungry. I make myself eat what I do eat. I've evidently picked up a virus which I understand is going around. Having diahrea but not from any meds. Haven't even taken any until today. Not sure I need to be taking anything right now. The only good thing about this is that my weight is down 5.4 lbs this morning, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Hope everyone is staying dry. I wonder about Bonnie as they always flood and lose power where she lives. I did get out today to go to the beauty shop to get my hair done. DH's son and his daughter will be here late tomorrow night. I know DH doesn't want to go anywhere without me, but they will have to go places without me next week if I'm not feeling better.

Those of y'all in this weather stay dry and safe.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #6  

We have had a lot of rain in the past few days but not near what they're getting near the coast. We always get the residual. One time after one of the big hurricanes that hit the south, DH swept up a bunch of sand in the driveway that had been carried over to us from the storm. That was weird! Hope all are dry and safe, including Bonnie and her family.

I hope you feel better soon, Trish. It probably wouldn't do any good to take meds that won't stay with you. It's great to lose some weight, but you're right, that's not a fun way.

Today my blood sugar is up because I had some ice cream, and I'm itchier than usual, so that is convincing me more than ever that the itch is diabetes related. I had no itching overnight.

My 7 year old grandson is coming to stay overnight. I hope my dog behaves!
Old 10-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #7  

I got this off yahoo on how to keep avocado from turning brown. I know we are always trying to keep them so thought I would share this link with you.

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/post/1282...vocado-turning
Old 10-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #8  

I have a 4.6 lb loss this week. I am taking the loss as a jump start and decided to make new eating habits to keep the weight coming off. I really enjoyed learning some of what I did from Dr. Thompson's videos. She never gave a diet plan although I found one that actually sounds a lot like what she is talking about. It is the one someone recommended to a new pre-diabetic on here called whole30. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it is the eating plan she followed. I have thought about using it if I need to, but will not make that decision at this time. Right now the FBS is coming down... it was 127 this morning with no meds. My BP is even so low with the medicine that I'm not sure I need to keep taking it. As long as the BS keeps coming down and the BP is low, I will keep doing what I'm doing.

Right now I'm eating 2 meals a day within 5 hrs of each other and not needing any snacks at this time. Having company here is also helping me not snack.

I liked the idea of what Thompson calls Brightline eating. I like the idea of setting my own limits and guide lines. I also like the idea of journaling although I'm not able to journal this week. I do believe that I have to get in touch with the way I always ate when I was thin and practice eating that way until it becomes a habit. There might be a slip up once in a while until it becomes a habit, but I believe it can happen. It is worth a try. What is interesting is that I've been thinking about DH DGD that used to live with us and how she eats and how I used to try to get her to eat and she would say, "I'm not hungry. I don't want it". She would finally take an apple with her to appease me. If she wanted it later in the day then she would eat it, but if she didn't get hungry, she wouldn't.

Now I'm observing DH DGD who is visiting with us right now. She told me that she doesn't have time to eat breakfast so she takes a granola bar with her to school and when she gets hungry that she can eat it. She says she usually eats twice a day. I told her not to let anyone talk her into eating any other way, because that is exactly how I ate until everyone convinced me that I had to eat breakfast and 3 meals a day. I told her that now I'm actually trying to get back to eating the way I always ate when I was thin and every time I've been thinner through the years, because they have found that we don't have to eat breakfast if we don't want it.

Funny thing is that both these girls are highly intelligent so the idea that you can't think if you don't eat breakfast is not true. One already has her plans to be a music teacher and wins awards in competition. The other girl is planning to be come doctor and she is very active. She was a gymnast, is a cheerleader and also does martial arts. So all these things we've been made to think you had to eat to do... really isn't true.

So I honestly feel I have a confirmation that I am on the right track now in more ways than one.

Hope everyone is doing okay.

Editing to say I did finish watching the last video of Dr. Thompsons. Seems you have to do the boot camp to get the diet program etc. At $995, I will be using the tools and ideas with my own plan not hers.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 10-05-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:29 PM   #9  

Thanks for the tip about the avocado. Something different to try. I wonder if it has to be red onion. I rarely buy them as they are more expensive than yellow, and then you somewhat waste it by using it to store the avocado, unless you eat it with the avocado. I bought an Avacado keeper to try it out. I only meant to leave it for 1 day, but it got extended to 2. It was better than the other things I've tried, but it still turned brown a little. Now I looked it up online and it says that the avocado is to be put in the keeper cut side down. I put it in cut side up and left the pit in it. I will have to try it again cut side down without the pit, and also with some onion under the cut side, but it will be yellow onion. I also put some lime juice on it.

I agree that you should not force yourself to eat as soon as you get up if you aren't hungry. I don't call it skipping breakfast because I still eat breakfast foods most days, but sometimes it's closer to lunch by the time I eat. And those girls visiting you should not let anyone tell them when or what to eat. As long as they are not starving themselves foolishly, they are doing the right thing IMO.

Good for you on the pounds lost, the lower BS and BP.

I googled Whole30 and there is a lot of info online about it and I bookmarked it. Glancing through one of the sites I saw that it is Paleo. The 30 days is to be considered a nutritional reset and at the end of 30 days you start to add things back in. I noticed that it does not allow dairy or legumes. I can't figure out why the big contraversy about dairy and legumes. First they're good, then they're not. Trish, you know I am not giving up my beans. I consider them a very important part of my diet for the fiber. i don't eat them every day, but I love them and can't give them up. LOL I guess there are a lot worse things than that!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-05-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #10  

Carol Sue I don't understand the problem with dairy and legumes. Legumes are good for diabetics to eat to keep the bs more balanced. I also noticed the one about Paleo. I looked at my Paleo book for beginners and Whole30 is almost exactly like the plan. I recently read that real Paleo's ate some grains when they could so I think that the idea that they only ate protein, fruit and veggies is probably because they didn't always stay in one place to raise any of the foods. If you stop and think about it, corn was introduced to the Pilgrims by the Indians. I personally believe the problem with the corn is the way they have processed it and made it more hybrid. I heard recently that they have got corn is so highly hybrid that every ear of corn grown in a crop has the exact same amount of kernel count. I think we have processed some of our foods to the point to where our great grandmothers wouldn't even recognize it.

I also heard it said that legumes can be ground down to powder/flour so I think once they learn you can make a food into a flour/powder, they decide it isn't good for you and definitely NOT Paleo.

As for dairy, I've heard it said that animals will not drink milk from other animals. Those people who say that go on to say that only humans drink milk from other animals. However, I'm not sure that is entirely true. I remember seeing a picture of a baby kitten drinking from an old mama pig with the other little piglets. So I don't that you can say that is true 100% although they are correct that once the baby animals are wiened they don't seem to drink milk any more. Those people say milk makes you fat, but according to the research, that is not true. I just read that they actually believe milk helps you lose weight. So who knows.

I think my stomach has gone into spasms. I haven't experienced this since my late 20s early 30s. I think it is the stress feeling I'm having right now. A lot of things going on. We are going to the Discovery Place Museum in Charlotte Thursday and a lot of walking involved. I am going to take my Hugo walker so I will be able to sit when I need to and still get the benefit of walking. DH talked about taking the wheelchair (we still have all the stuff from his deceased wife and mother), but I would rather walk as much as I can. However, I am nervous about 2 days of doing this. Tomorrow we will go to Billy Graham's Museum and the Carolinas Aviation Museum. I'll take the Hugo for that as well. I did an Aviation Museum one time on our way to IN and I only used my cane and it was really hard on me. I just don't want to resort to a wheelchair. So the Hugo will be my choice for the 2 days in Charlotte. I just haven't done any of this type of thing in several years so I'm kind of nervous about it. I am curious as to how I do though because I found so many museums to go see in the Carolinas and many of them are only 1 day trips. DH and I never do anything any more. I'm thinking it would be so nice if we could plan a short trip maybe once a month to see something we haven't seen before. It would be so good for both of us.

DGD from IN is looking at colleges and she just might decide to come to Winthrop. If she does, that will mean that we won't be moving from SC so I may as well get use to the idea that I won't be moving back to TX near my family. May be one of my stomach problems too. I dread having to tell my Daddy that I won't be moving back at least while he is living. However, she is looking for a full scholarship so she won't be living here. She definitely wants to live on campus.

I'm not sure DGS will ever graduate. He doesn't make his morning classes half the time. I don't see how that will ever work in his favor, but we keep trudging along with him. I have to fight the tendency to resent the fact that I didn't get to move this year because of him and he doesn't even give a crap whether he makes it or not. In fact, he told me his attitude is he just wants to give up. I feel like we have made this sacrifice all for nothing. I keep hoping he will change.

Hopefully next week when my stomach gets back to normal (hopefully), I will get with my low carb eating again. I'm going to use some of the ideas I learned from the Thompson tools and see it as "Practice until it becomes a habit" attitude.

Carol Sue I still like the idea of making my own rules and limits. I think as long as legumes are not hurting you then keep it in your plan. I think fiber is important. However, I think what has made my stomach problem this time is that I probably added too much fiber too soon. Hey I still believe this is "our year". We may just figure out what to do and how to do it, but since that will lead us to long term success, that will be more than we have had in the past.

Sorry this is so long.

Have a good day.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #11  

Here is a link to the article about the new research they have learned about Paleo's eating grains.

http://theplate.nationalgeographic.c...in-paleo-diet/
Old 10-07-2015, 07:38 AM   #12  

Trish, I am OK giving up grains because of all I've read about what they do to your body, but that is wheat etc. There are some other grains that are OK, but I forgot which ones they are. I think barley and quinoa, which is not really a grain. I don't eat a lot of fiber, other than my veggies. I cook them well, and they say that helps with digesting them. I don't eat beans every day, but do want to eat things like chili, and my corn/black bean salsa. I am no where near where they say you should be with fiber, but I try.

I think you are going above and beyond with your DGS, and also with DGD when she comes. I don't think I could be as patient and understanding with them, especially when DGS has such a bad attitude. You should be able to move if you want to. Since he doesn't care, he should have to find his own way, but I know you won't do that to him.

I don't think I could do all that walking now, either. I need to get back to my treadmill, seriously. I do a lot of walking in the stores, but I always have a cart, that helps as a walker. We go when the stores are not crowded, and I walk a few laps around the store before we leave. It feels good to do that. Also, when I walk on my treadmill I hold onto the rails. So I'm not accustomed to a lot of walking without assistance.

I hope your stomach feels better soon. I have a cold right now and I'm battling that. It's always something.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #13  

Carol Sue I hope you are over your cold soon.

I ate breakfast this morning to see how it will do on my stomach before we leave. I had no problem yesterday, but I ate a lot of crackers etc to soak up the acid in my stomach.

DGS didn't make his class this morning. He suddenly realized that he just can't do it. Come to find out he had 2 minors. By dropping the class, he has given up one of his minors. He will take another class to make up what he needs so now he will graduate with his class in May instead of August. Let's up on a lot of stress. We probably can go back to our original plan to move in May. We will just have to decide where we really want to move to.

As for DGD, she has 2 more years before she graduates high school so she may change her mind several times before then. She was wanting to go somewhere else for a long time. So I wouldn't make decisions around her, at least not at this time any way.

Friday things will get back to normal and I hope to get back to eating the way I want to. Although I'm not eating way off right now.

Busy day today so I will get with it.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #14  

Morning ladies...Monday night my grandson decided to make his grand appearance. I was in the delivery room as well. Quite the experience. Been very busy the last two days so today I will rest maybe even nap. Hospital food is awful. I ate more carbs then I have all year....today I'm doing a 500 calorie fat to rid crap from my body. Weight is up and weigh in is Friday.
I did whole 30 a while ago. It was good! I made the 30 days to.
Bbl
Old 10-07-2015, 11:44 PM   #15  

p.a. CONGRATULATIONS on the new grandson.
Closed Thread