Old 09-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias ~ #122

GOOD MORNING IN SEPTEMBER MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

The 21st will get here before I realize it. I have my office all just about cleaned out ~ as much as I can at this point. I am now working on the kitchen which is the hardest room to empty. After I finish in there I will tackle the bedroom. On the 21st Will will be driving the MH with Beanie in it and I will follow along in the Mustang so on the 21st I will be living in Texas. Will and our friend will come back and clean out the house and have a yard sale. We checked into renting a tow dolly and the Mustang can’t be towed that way so we checked into one we could put the car up on it and that would cost @500. so I will be driving it. That is the plan as it is right now ~subject to change.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-16-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #2  

Good Morning! The sun is shining, the humidity is higher, and so far not too hot with a strong breeze blowing through the open doors and windows. I've been double checking my figures for the auxiliary report. I'm $.30 off! I know the checkbook is right because I balance every month, or else. I have bell practice later this afternoon and will pick up our supper afterwards. The Rotary Club does bar-b-q turkey dinners as a fund raiser, and set up a drive through system so we don't even have to get out of the car.

"Gma," I would have thought a suburban would be larger than a van, and easy to get in and out of. Glad you have a vehicle to drive while yours is being repaired. If the husband is addicted to narcotics, I am very surprised he couldn't be admitted to a drug rehab facility. Bob's mom did that when she came back here, it wasn't fun but it worked. She was addicted to more than one pain narcotic. Your friends are going to go through a tough road with that. Don't they have children or family members who could help out so she could work? The kids flew together the last time and we were all together coming home which was not the smartest thing with two sets of grandparents, and our whole family. Jason wanted to fly from Sioux Falls to avoid the chance of bad weather and longer drive from Omaha. It didn't make any difference to Beth, but the kids aren't happy about flying separately this time.

Maggie, I don't envy you the job of deciding what to keep and what to get rid of. Thanks for starting the new thread!

I need to get back to my figures so I can clear the table off for lunch. Hope you all enjoy the rest of a wonderful Wednesday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:02 AM   #3  

Good morning girls. Going to be hot here today. I have my doctor's appointment first this morning and feel rotten so I guess it's the place to go. The female stuff is acting up and making me crampy and shaky. I think we will be discussing that first thing.

They are supposed to have the car done today so I hope we can pick it up and return the rental. I prefer my SUV for now.

My poor friend got even more bad news yesterday. Medicare is refusing to pay for any equipment, ie a wheelchair or hospital bed too. I don't know how they expect the guy to get better when they want the leg up in the air and the only way to do that safely is with a hospital bed. It is a total mess. Her granddaughter called me last night to thank me and I ask her about their finances as she is living with them. They are definitely in a tough spot so I am sending them a check. It isn't a huge amount, but darn it I have to do something. I can't help her out there in town.

Jean: A Suburban is much, much bigger than a van and taller and that is why I couldn't get into it. Hope you finally got your pennies all straightened out. I always hated it when it wouldn't balance. The thing with my friend's husband is the oxycotin has not only been prescribed for him by only one physician this is some guy who specializes in pain management so he should have seen the signs. Bob was sleeping all the time and contentious and forgetful, etc. She said a couple weeks ago in a 4 days period while she was at work he had taken 130 5mg pills!!! I just hope this doesn't ruin their marriage as the stress for her is becoming unbearable.

Maggie: Good luck in TX

Have a great day everyone.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #4  

Good afternoon ladies. 77 degrees and sunny. Fall is definitely on the way.

I went to the Y this morning and have my knitting group this afternoon. It's been a busy week with quilting bees, the Y and now knitting. Our Ladies of the Evening group goes back to meeting tonight but I told them I'm dropping out. The place we meet is right off Rt. 17 which is in the process of being widened and it is horrible in the best of times and now its often only one lane and so much worse. This is going on for 2 more years. In addition, the membership has changed and gotten smaller and half the ladies that come are rude and talk when others are trying to present something despite having been asked several times to be quiet when others are talking. I think I'd drop out even if the road work wasn't being done. I still have 5 other quilting bees.

Faye, I feel so sorry for your friend. What a mess. They tell seniors over and over to ask how they are being admitted to the hospital because if it goes down as observation is isn't considered a hospital stay and won't be paid the same. Has your friend contact Medicaid in her state? It sounds like they might help her since they have so little income. Sorry but I had to LOL when I pictured you trying to get into the Suburban. They are big!

Jean, I think its better not to have the whole family on one plane. What would happen to the children at home if it went down? I hope you got your books straight.

Maggie, starting a new chapter in your life must be exciting. I hope everything is A-Okay for Will when he checks in with his new medical team. I am fortunate to be 3 hours from Johns Hopkins and 4 hours from Duke University Hospital so excellent cutting edge medical care if I ever need it.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon! It's been a humid morning here, the sun was out but has disappeared. The weatherman says we will have "showers" later; we plan to go to Maddy's game so hope the showers wait until afterwards. I brought new glass frames home to let Bob vote, and will take them back this afternoon after the auxiliary meeting.

"Gma," I sure hope you got plan of action from your doctor this morning. Maybe it varies state by state, but I would think there would be somewhere in the government layers your friend could get help of some kind. Drug rehab would be a biggy I would think, maybe a new doctor too. It's definitely a mess! I can't get into the pickup without hanging on to the inside handle. Getting out, I always feel like I'm falling out even though there are running boards. I am not graceful!

Susan, they say teachers are very rude when in a group and I believe it. They just keep talking when the speaker is talking. I don't blame you for dropping out of your group, even though I love the name. We are dealing with road construction between here and Sioux City. They are widening the last hunk of #20 that goes across Iowa to four lanes. Right now there is a "follow me" truck about a half hour from us. We can go a back way and avoid the construction. The only problem being hills and lots of farmers on the roads during harvest.

Bob came home early for lunch and I got interrupted, so now have been to my meeting, the library, and eye place. They won't let you out the door without paying -- $398 later I've changed clothes and ready for soccer!p Hope you all enjoy the rest of a terrific Thursday!

Last edited by Jean; 09-17-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:41 AM   #6  

Good morning to you all. Hot, hot today then probably rain tomorrow and a cool down a bit. It is still staying in the 80's, which is ok by me.

Please say a prayer for my great niece. She has had heart issues since birth and had a tonsillectomy a couple days ago and coded yesterday morning. She can't breathe so has been intubated and one doctor says she needs bypass surgery and another isn't so sure. She is one sick little girl and only 3 years old. Her name is Kaitlyn Smith.

Well, I started on another round of Provera for 2 weeks today. It is basically to see if they can slow down the pain and bleeding. I have an appointment with the gyno on October 14 and hopefully they will finally decide to take it out. I can't have it done before Jan 1 though as Jack has no time off. I have lived with it this long I can drag along a couple more months as long as we are firm in doing it. My regular doctor wants him to remove it. She says I have been through enough and nothing they have done diagnostically is helping. I have to have an echocardiogram and see a cardiologist before I have surgery again. She insists on it. She says she hasn't seen any problems, but is concerned about the leg swelling that was so bad on the cruise last year so wants to rule out any problems. I also started my Belviq today so we shall see if that is going to work for me. It isn't cheap. I costs me $250 a month (even more than I thought it was) but I would pay over that for some program like Jenny Craig or Nutrasystem and I want to eat my own food not boxed stuff. I talked to her for a long time and she said I have a double whammy with being hungry, hormones and diabetes. She said both of them contribute to being hungry all the time. We shall see how it works for me. At this point it is my last hope as I cannot have any kind of lap band or gastric by pass because of my colon. I told her we don't have junk food in the house but I am still over eating, mostly carbs, ie a peanut butter sandwich or crackers and cheese or a lot of fruit, etc.

Susan: It was funny! I am ok in height as I am 5'7" but I do have short legs. I tried everything to get into that darn SUV and even had my behind up in the air trying to crawl into it. Complete and utter failure so we will not be buying a Suburban for our next car. I don't blame you about the group. I tend to be a blabber mouth, but not if someone is presenting or showing something. I think it is great that you keep busy. Improves your quality of life!

Jean: I had to laugh about the eye glasses. You made it sound like he couldn't vote without new frames. Speaking of voting, our election for mayor and city council is in a couple weeks and frankly I have no use for anyone that is running. The conservative is anti city employee and is on the city council and is always trying to cut our pay and benefits and the rest are all black and very liberal. One guy, who is a city council member is the only one who is pro employee so he may have to be the one. We have totally unqualified people running for city council so who knows what I will do about that. I got a text from her last night and she said the doctors want to send him to speech therapy and other tests to find out what is causing his confusion. They wonder if he hit his head when he fell or if it is just the drugs. They are talking about drug rehab for him and I hope they do that so they can get him off that junk once and for all.

You gals have a nice weekend. I am going to stick my contacts back in and start work around the house.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #7  

Happy Friday! It's a breezy cool morning, and getting darker by the minute. I am home for the day! We debated about going to the fair but rain is predicted and Bob wanted to get the boat ready for winter storage. Harvest is getting closer so he won't be around much for a few weeks. I really need to do some serious cleaning since it's been "hit and miss" this week -- mostly miss! We are invited to play cards in a couples card club Sunday night; I had to laugh because she said it's kind of a Methodist card club except for one Presbyterian couple. We know the host couple but have never been in their home.

"Gma," it definitely feels like fall here today. Those in the know (??) are already predicting a hot, dry summer for '16. I know I probably have asked but is Belviq a prescription? I hope you get relief from the Provera. I can see what the frames look like because I have my contacts in, but couldn't decide which looked better. I either go with Bob or he brings the frame samples home for my vote. It seems like all of them had a larger lens area. Did you watch the presidential debate the other night? We didn't. I wish the candidates couldn't campaign so far in advance.

I have a load of towels that should be dry, and a casserole to get in the oven. Hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday!
Old 09-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all. Going be seriously hot today and a bit of clouds. They keep predicting rain but it isn't showing more than 20% today then 0 for a whole week with near 90 temps most days.

Well after day 1 on Belviq I have no side effects so am keeping my fingers crossed. Jack wanted to go out for dinner last night and we had steak. I ordered a small one, broccoli and salad. I ate all the veg and about 3 bites of steak and brought the rest home. I am going to cut it up and use 1/2 in a spinach tortilla with some avocado and tomato for lunch and the other half the next day maybe in a salad. I don't know if I feel full exactly, but I did notice after having breakfast I didn't feel hungry to snack before lunch. I had fresh peaches and 2 eggs for breakfast, cottage cheese and banana for lunch, 5 almonds for afternoon snack and then what I had for dinner.

We have to go over to WM this morning and pick up a few things and then I want to tackle bathrooms upstairs again this weekend.

Jean: Yes, Belviq is only by prescription and you have to be in certain BMI parameters to qualify to take it. It isn't for someone who only has a few lbs to lose, it is for obese people. The reason my doctor only gave me a prescription for a month is they want to monitor my weight loss and everything else before they commit and give me a full prescription. One of the big issues is anyone that has heart issues they may not know about and people that are diabetic having low blood sugar. I don't have any heart issues and I watch my bsugar carefully. Funny! Hope you guys have fun. Our fair is done and over with it was the last two weeks. We don't go as it is too hard for me to walk in the dirt and such.

Everyone have a great day today and do something fun!!

Last edited by gma22; 09-19-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and it's a cool 60 degrees outside. I have sheets in the dryer, another load waiting, and made a casserole for lunch so far today. It was a short night for me! For some reason I couldn't get to sleep last night, then tossed and turned. I don't know what my problem was but I was tired when it was time to get up. A nap sounds good right now but I want to stay awake so I will sleep tonight.

"Gma," it really feels like a fall day here! My furnace even came on this morning again; it was 44 degrees outside. It sounds like you had a good eating day yesterday. I hope today goes as well for you.

​I need to fold sheets and get the next load in the dryer. Hope you all are enjoying a relaxing Saturday!
Old 09-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday and Sunny

GOOD EVENING IN SEPTEMBER MAGNOLIAS☺♫
I am so tired of figuring on what to keep and what to sell. I am also bone tired from all of this also and want to get it all done and moved. I am so glad those two young folks from the museum have been here each day to help out with the customers so I can stay inside making decisions and handing them stuff to sell. We will be hitting the road as soon as we can get the paperwork on the Mustang filed. We took those kids who have been helping us out to dinner tonight and had a great time.

JEAN It seemed like a short night for me also.

DONNA FAYE I hope that diet stuff works well with your system.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-19-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #11  

Good morning to you all. It is already warming up fast here. We are supposed to be around 87 today.

We went to WM yesterday pretty early to get what we needed, came home and I did some laundry and straightened up a bit, we watched the CUBS game and I fixed dinner, pork cutlets and cauliflower for me and Jack had hash browns. We are having meat loaf today and Jack gets scalloped potato but I am having green beans and salad. I am having no side effects at all on the Belviq and have been on it 3 days now. I can't say I am never hungry, but it isn't like it was. I am stopping the Provera. She gave me an option of filling it or not, but I went ahead and filled it and started taking it. Well, it has made things considerable worse. I am having heavy bleeding and clotting and horrible cramping. Since she said this really wasn't to stop what is going on with me, more a stop gap measure until I see the gyno I am not taking anymore. I mean if it isn't stopping it and even making it worse there is no sense in taking the stuff.

I did sheets today and was going to clean upstairs bathrooms, but the cramping and all is so bad I don't want to even climb the stairs and possibly make it worse so it will wait until tomorrow.

I ordered a bunch of k cup coffee flavors for Jack and ordered hot chocolate, apple cider and lemonade for me all sugar free. I want something besides soda or water to drink and it is too hot for tea right now. I know what the hot chocolate and apple cider tastes like because I have ordered it before, but never have had the lemonade. It got high reviews though so we shall see.

Jean: Brrr sounds like you have already moved into fall temperatures. I could have slept, but I got up three times having to clean myself up. That included mopping the floor and cleaning the toilet every time so I would then be awake until I got sleepy again. I imagine I will nap sometime today.

Maggie: Moving is always a process that is for sure.

Everyone have a great Sunday
Old 09-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, no wind, and it's a nice day in my neighborhood. We went to church, read the paper, ordered pizza for lunch, and fed the birds and squirrels. The hummingbirds are still coming and I've run out of red juice so they are getting sugar water. I need to do another load of laundry and pick up the clutter on the island.

Maggie, I can imagine how frazzled you must be! It's nice of the extra helpers to be there for you.

"Gma," that is too bad about the Provera. I'm glad the Belviq is helping with the hunger. Where do you order your drinks from? You are the best online shopper I know!

I need to get busy and get rid of the clutter pile. We are playing cards tonight so not sure how late they play. It's been years since we have played in a couples group so will be interesting to see how this group does it. Hope you all are enjoying a nice day!
Old 09-21-2015, 06:53 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all. Rough day yesterday and last night. I dumped the Provera this morning. So, hopefully it will slow back down once the hormone is out of my system.

I need to get upstairs and clean bathrooms today. I just could not do it yesterday as I was such a mess and in so much pain. I barely got the few things done downstairs I wanted to do.

I bought Jack a really nice Michael Kors dress watch for his birthday, which is next month. He has been wanting one to wear on the ship during dining time, since he dresses up. Well, I started perusing and found 2 handbags and a pair of sandals I wanted to added them to the mix then for good measure ordered some more of those thin flocked hangers. I bought Jack a watch/cufflink case for our anniversary with personalization. Our anniversary is in November. Hope he likes them both.

Jean: I order stuff from all over the place. I got the majority of the k cups on Amazon, but had to get them from other places too. You can only buy the k cups that have the Keurig seal or they won't work in the machine. You can get non Keurig brands that have the seal though you just have to look for them. Yep I am the queen of online shopping. I hate shopping in stores anymore, though I do. Hope you enjoyed your pizza. Do you get chain store pizza or a mom and pop place? We are having turkey roast for dinner tonight. Is there a reason you give the birds red juice? I know very little about hummingbirds.

Everyone have a great start to their week. I weighed in and am 10 lbs down.

Last edited by gma22; 09-21-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #14  

Good morning, ladies! Only in the 70s today, 72 right now and overcast.

Nothing much to report today, more just to say 'hello.'

Faye, I'm so sorry you are going through the female stuff yet again. I hiope they finally do the surgery so you can get to feeling better and get your hormones settled down. I'm glad the medication is working for you.

Jean, I am hoping not to have to turn the heat on until November 1 - which happens to be the day we change the clock back to standard time this year. I see a lot of hummingbirds around here. There is something in the wetlands that they like.

Maggie, I'm glad you have help with this move. Moving is exhausting. Won't it be nice to be in TX away from the winter cold!

Have a wonderful day - I'm off to the gym.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and it's warming up as the day goes along. I didn't have to count at church this morning because the old secretary is training the new secretary how to do my job. Not sure why I couldn't train her myself. Anyhow, I went to church anyway, to help Bob change light bulbs in the sanctuary chandelier lights. They roll down to floor level but the electric cord can get loopy on the way back up, so my job was to hold light bulbs and then watch the cord. We used our cell phones to keep in touch. Then I dropped our rings off at the jewelers to have the settings checked, made a WM stop, and picked up the gift shop money. I've made the deposit, picked up our rings, and now have to put my books and laptop away for another week. Tonight I have a P.E.O. initiation; Maddy has a soccer game, Bob has practice, or I could play cards. I took low score last night and won a cute kitchen towel with two silicone spatulas wrapped in a bow. We had a fun time and hope we get asked again.

"Gma," I hope you are feeling better as the day goes along. I admire you for getting so much done when you feel so lousy. I had to chuckle when you said you found handbags and sandals when you were watch shopping. Good for you! This time we ordered Pizza Ranch pizza. They have a chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, ice cream, dessert pizza, soup, and salad buffet, along with the pizza if you eat there. It is a chain but not sure how far out it goes. Sioux Falls, Sioux City, and Spirit Lake all have one. Supposedly hummingbirds are attracted to red flowers so their feeders all have red somewhere on them. Our's have red caps, clear container, and red bottoms where they feed. I made plain sugar water for one feeder because I am out of red juice. The hummingbirdsbirds will also drink orange in the Oriole feeder, and the Orioles try to drink red but they are a bigger bird and don't fit the feeder as well. They are so fun to watch and we've had so many this fall.

Susan, I am just amazed that the tiny hummingbirds can fly so far each season. They seem to eat constantly and I'm sure not everyone provides ready to eat food along their journey. No quilt group today?

I have a load of towels ready for the dryer and need to put my gift shop books away. Hope you all are enjoying a marvelous Monday!

Last edited by Jean; 09-21-2015 at 04:37 PM.