Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 01:54 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Smile Steel Magnolias #7

HAPPPY VALENTINES DAY

It is a bright sun shiney day and my beautiful boquet of spring flowers sits in the middle of the table and was sure a nice sight to see at breakfast. Today Cowboy is going to grill steaks and french bread. I'll bake a potato to split and make a nice green salad. When I got up he had already gotten the steaks out of the freezer ~ what a guy.

Every one have a wonderful day.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:19 AM   #2  

Happy Valentine's Day a little late! I intended to get on the computer early this morning but we left earlier than I had planned . . . DH was ready and I wasn't! It is a -18 wind chill tonight and I've been cold all evening. We ended up babysitting for Ian so his parents could go out for supper with another couple. No wonder I am tired! Madaline gets such a kick out of watching him and just giggles when he stops to look at her. She has changed so much in the two weeks since we had seen her -- she sits and watches everyone else not missing a beat.

Maggie -- The cake (brownies) were delicious! Since the recipe called for "real" butter and cocoa I was hoping mine would turn out good. I left the leftovers with the kids! Thanks for starting the new thread! I hope your "water only" at your get together was successful!

My bed should be warm by now and I am heading in that direction!

Have a relaxing Sunday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-15-2004, 05:07 AM   #3  

Jean: You can't seem to get past freezing your tushy off, can you? We were supposed to get snow this early am but so far nothing.

Maggie: Lots of hubbies are keepers and we seem to have good ones. Jack has been so great with helping me with stuff the last few days. I have been so swamped trying to get all this shopping done for the trip in April and now dealing with the cat.

BTW: Butterscotch is doing ok. He is taking in water and food and putting out urine so far. He sleeps a lot, will favor one paw then the other, but I think is coming along. He has pain meds and antibiotics and even got this cute littler certificate for bravery. We have the best vets. Since the doctor was sick and went home on Thurs and didn't operate until Friday, and B had to stay an extra day, they did his lazer surgery for free and charged me just for his neutering! I saved about $150!

I bought beautiful earrings for Alicia, quarter carat diamonds. I got her gift card at Victoria's Secret and the store was filled with men who waited until the last minute for Valentine's gifts. There was one "older" man behind me with an armful of "scandalous" panties. He was at least 60 so I hope he either has a YOUNG wife, or one that is gracious! (Hopefully they weren't for his mistress!) Alicia had mentioned to me that she was thinking about wearing blue panties under her wedding dress so I bought her a beautiful lace and silk pair that had tiny stretch lace hearts around the legs and waistband.

Well, I got up to check on B and he is doing ok so back to bed for me. Grocery shopping at the commissary today as I have run out of time everday to get there the last few days.

Faye HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY
Old 02-15-2004, 03:51 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It is a bright sunny day here in my corner of the world. It is still cold at 9 degrees. There is a rumor that we are to get a bigger and better storm but not when nor how much to expect. I'm hoping it is just a rumor! I have laundry going and need to finish the rest of my Saturday chores this afternoon.

DH had the weirdest thing happen this morning. His group sings at both church services so I come home alone after the first one. He got ready to come home and his key would not "turn" in the keyhole! He said he felt like he was in the wrong pickup. So I went to get him and he called the guy he bought it from. Evidently the new vehicles have a lock out system that if the key doesn't feel quite right, or is the wrong key, the engine, gas, battery, etc. won't work. For some reason the computer said it was the wrong key! The salesman said to let it sit for at least 10 minutes and try again. When we went back, it worked just fine. I'm so glad because I had visions of having to share my car while his was being fixed!

"Gma" -- Remind me of this weather when it is 100 degrees and the humidity is at 90% this summer! It seems like once I get cold, I just can't get warm. I take it that B. had the laser claw removal method or maybe both procedures were laser? There was a vet near here that did that to the tune of $250! She has since moved on . . . not too many farmers are willing to pay that kind of money for a herd that needs the service! I really think that would be so much better for the cat, assuming it is similar to laser surgery for a human. . .less invasive, less pain, faster recovery, etc. I'm glad he is home again! He probably isn't going to be very excited about going back to the vet while you leave on your trip. Don't you have anyone who could check on him at home? I would be glad to but it is a tad too far away!

I need to get busy! Have a relaxing Sunday and do something nice for yourself!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-15-2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:27 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Red face Monday Afternoon

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS.

It has been raining here all day and what a wonderful day to stay inside and watch a movie. Have any of you seen "Basic" with John Travolta? It was so good I want to see it again because there was so much in it to remember for the plot. Each person had a different story (that was acted out in torrential rain in the Panama forest)about the incident that when the truth came about it was quite a surprise. Love those movies with twists and turns.

FAYE I certainly hope your cat does well while you are gone. Turn likes to ignore us when we return from somewhere. We leave him at home and have someone look in on him. He has fun growling at them when they come into the house, so it is a treat for him for sure.

JEAN that was a smart move to leave those brownies with the kids. Waht goes in the lips lands on the hips. Since that truck lock is so sensitive make sure to use the right key every time or else you will have to wait ten menutes before the correct key will work. What a pain ~ especially in cold weather or when you are in a hurry. My car may be that sensitive ~ if a wrong key is used it locks up engine, etc. We have never tried it by sticking in a wrong key though. Love those computer chip keys. they only cost $250 for a replacement. Another thing too if you lock your keys in the car with it running your automatic door opening little thingie on your key chain won't work to open the door so you have to break in in you don't have another key handy. Love that new technology.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:18 AM   #6  

Jean: Yes, Butterscotch did have all laser surgery. He is doing fine as of this morning, no swelling, limping or whatever. He is jumping up on things. The only problem and it will work itself out is until Saturday we have to use this cylindrical paper litter and he won't go poo in it. I found a huge batch in Fortune's bed! I guess he thought that was a good spot to plant it. Fortune doesn't ever sleep in it, so I am just not going to wash it until I can put sand litter back in his box because he will probably continue to use it! His surgery would have cost us about $300 but since the dr got sick on the day of surgery and they had to keep him an extra day, they just charged us regular, which was $150.

Maggie: Another little side surprise is if you run a new car out of gas. It is very very hard to start again and the check engine light stays on for a couple days. Had that experience with a Cavalier I had.

Hope everyone is doing well. I need to run. This morning is clean dd's house and I try to get there early and get it done. Jack has an eye dr appt this afternoon so I have to do it this morning anyway.

Faye
Old 02-17-2004, 01:55 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Titalatating Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is raining again to day and it is now 58 degrees as I type. I love rain, always have. I still haven't worn a coat, jacket or sweater since we moved back here. An umbrella sure comes in handy though. Our trees are budding and Spring is on it's way. February is the rainey month here and it is doing what it is supposed to for sure. I hope my wildflowers come up. I haven't done any glass work since before Christmas and think I will get something started today.

FAYE that would be such a double inconvenience to run out of gas. I am so glad that Cowboy and I both have the philosophy that if all possible to always fill up when my car gets to the point where it is only half full. We have always done that with all of our vehicles ~ always ready to go if we have to go when called for.

Have a lovely Tuesday ya'all

Last edited by Maggie; 02-17-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:42 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon!
It's been a cloudy, gloomy day here although it was 25 degrees on my way home from school. That is a nice change for sure.

One session of testing is over and three more to go. We are alternating morning and afternoon sessions; today was morning and it went well, I think. I'm not looking forward to the afternoon session tomorrow as kids will be hyper from too much pop at noon and not able to concentrate as well. If I were in charge I would have had all the testing in the morning, then alternate the morning/afternoon classes during the afternoons. But alas, no one asked for my opinion! You can always tell that whomever makes these schedules is not sitting in the classroom with 25 antsy bodies!

Maggie -- Both of our vehicles only have one key so I'm not sure just why the pickup computer thought it was getting the wrong key. I just hope that never happens to me when I'm alone and out of town! Sometimes modern technology is just too good!

"Gma" -- When our daughter had her cat declawed the "old" way, the vet told them to use paper litter also. Her cat wouldn't use it either but never "went" for a whole day either. When you get done cleaning at your daughter's, you could make a road trip to Iowa!

I need to get busy and dream up something for supper. Have a wonderful Wednesday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-17-2004, 05:54 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Default Two Cents

Let me put my two cents worth in here about when Turn got de-clawed. The vet had us get a certain kind of cat litter till his feet cleared up. He had no trouble using it at all. You might ask your vet what kind it was. I think it was clay based. And believe me Turn is particular and that didn't bother him one bit. Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:08 PM   #10  

Good afternoon ladies! I have been shopping again. BAD GIRL! BAD BAD GIRL!! Jack can't complain much because most of what I have bought has been on sale. I had bought a sweater to go with one of my new pair of pants which are a tan very tiny plaid. The sweater didn't match at all, it was more of a taupe with a green tinge so I took it back and bought good ole white, brought it home and put it on and put my new chain belt on a woowoo I look good! I swore no more fat ladies stores, but can't get a belt anywhere else long enough. Had to pay $20 for the darn thing! I was going to buy a pair of these scandalous lace panties to wear under my dress for the wedding and surprise Jack, but they wanted $30 for ONE PAIR! I kind of told them off in the store! That is insane. They had a buy 3 get three free so when you bought three and paid $90 and got 3 you are still paying a whopping $15 a pair and I can buy 3 nice satin pair for that!

Butterscotch, except for having the runs from the antibiotics (they changed it to help settle his stomach this morning) and refusing to use the litter most of the time, (which, btw, Maggie they insist on my using this type) is doing great. He only has 2 more days of antibiotics and then can also go back to his regular litter. The thing with the puppy pads and the towels is working ok though I am washing towels a couple times a day, but that is ok. Better than him going on the furniture or something. I am hoping our vet will offer me a job. They had the receptionist for the pet resort quit and he is having friends fill in so I took my resume up to Robin the head vet tech and she promised to give it to him and put in a good word for me. It is 2 blocks from the house so I could walk to work!

Well, better go and get something done I guess. I have goofed off pretty much all day and tomorrow I am going to Chucky Cheese with the big T! YUM!

Faye
Old 02-18-2004, 10:11 PM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers!
Not much newsy to report from my corner of the world tonight. It was a beautiful day here -- sunny, NO wind, and 45 degrees this afternoon. The snow piles are melting fast but have a long way to go. We are supposed to get "several" inches on Friday beginning with rain tomorrow. The temperatures are supposed to stay around 30 and above so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I really don't think the weatherman has a clue.

Our testing session this afternoon was a bust. The kids weren't interested and didn't even try. Of course, we have a few ESL students thrown in with our special ed. students and they didn't understand what we were talking about. We have an afternoon session again tomorrow and some of us thought it would only be fair if the administrators and counselors traded places with some of us. Like that would ever happen! The administration finally admitted our minority population in the schools has reached 55%. Wait just minute . . . I wonder just who they think the minority is now!

Maggie -- Years ago, when we had our cats declawed, we just used the same litter we always did. I either didn't know any different or the vet forgot to tell me to use a different kind. None of them had any problems which was good.

"Gma" -- Glad your shopping trip was a success! I'm really happy to hear that Butterscotch is on the mend. Enjoy your lunch with T; I know you will! I have my fingers crossed for the job at the vet's.

I need to iron something to wear tomorrow so better get going. I didn't sleep very well last night and I'm tired tonight.

Have a terrific Thursday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-19-2004, 10:19 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers!
There is absolutely nothing going on in my corner of the world tonight! It was a warm 36 degrees this afternoon and more snow is gone! The rest is so dirty and grungy looking, I'll be glad when it is all gone.

I kicked a kid out of a testing session this afternoon. He can't sit still and keep his mouth shut if his life depended on it. He had some sort of face making contest going on across the room and I'd finally had it. He called me a name as he walked out the door; I'm pretty sure I know what it was but the student that he walked by claimed he didn't hear anything. Yeah, right. Tomorrow morning is our last session so I have my fingers crossed that we don't have a snow day!

Hope you all have had a good day today. Have a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-20-2004, 06:00 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day here and I am sure looking forward to "top down" weather. I showed a gain at weigh in yesterday but that is fine with me since I had thrown in the towl for a week to give myself a break. I am back on track and am having an 18 point day today for sure! I have a pork roast in the crock pot and will make some dressing - low fat of course and some veggies to go with for dinner. It smells divine as I type. Will just got finished installing a flouresent light in here and took down that broken strobbing hanging fixture. Sure improved the lighting. I have one of those clamp on desk lamps on my work area to give me extra light for when I am doing my glass works or reading.

FAYE those unders are sure out priced for sure! I don't know why they think they have to have that much money for them. Gouging for sure. I am sure you can find some just as nice for far less money.

JEAN is your school heading for getting less money from the government because of low test scores? Some schools are going to face a problem because of the test scores.

Have a wonderful weekend Flowers.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:17 AM   #14  

GOOD SATURDAY MORNING TO THE FLOWERS!

Jean: Teenagers, what fun! It has been in the 60's for two days and dropping some, but still in the 50's which I will take anytime! Haven't had the heat on for several days now.

Maggie: I have slipped and slid with the dieting lately and am committing to getting back to where I should be. I would be in a real mess if I wasn't exercising. Three more months and the pool will be open again! I also can go to the pool at the "Y" and do water aerobics with other people if I like, but I think I will stick to the "private" sessions at home and the treadmill at the "Y."

We went to see "Welcome to Mooseport" last night. Don't spend your money, wait until it comes out on video. Unfortunately, the best thing about the afternoon was the food at Hard Rock!

Well, I woke up early so I think I will hunker back down in bed for awhile. I just don't need the sleep I used to and seem to be all tuckered out by 8 pm.

Faye
Old 02-21-2004, 12:11 PM   #15  

Happy Saturday, Flowers!
The sun is shining brightly, not a cloud in the sky, and the snow is melting at 32 degrees! I was so tired last night I fell asleep in front of the TV and then slept all night when I got up and went to bed. Not much planned for today except the usual Saturday laundry and a bit of cleaning.

Maggie -- Our school system gets alot of money for the immigrant population that has moved in. It is federal money so I expect it will run out one of these days and the locals will have to kick in. The school system asked for contributions from the packing plants but of course none came forth. The administration finally released an article saying the "minority" had reached 55% and most are located in the elementary buildings. I wonder just who they think the minority is now?! In reading the ITEDs this week, there were alot of the math and science questions that I didn't even know so I don't know how they would expect special ed. and ESL students to have a good score. The "severe and profound" students also have to take the tests -- the aides fill in their answer sheets. Now how dumb is that? One year they separated the ESL and special ed. scores from the rest but they can't do that any more so I don't know how we will come out. We'll probably be on the WATCH list! I didn't go to WW this week because I just knew what the scale would say and I wasn't in the mood. I'm hoping next WI will be better because it has been better this week, so far.

"Gma" -- Jeff, the kid I kicked out of the test, got 2 hours of detention time. He handed in a bunch of assignments and said his Grandpa was riding his a** to shape up. It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts. The mother is a functioning (?) alcoholic, the father lives 3 hours away in another town, the boyfriend/stepdad is in and out of the house. The younger brother and sister are both very smart; Jeff just shrugs his shoulders and says, "I'm the dumb one!" He's got alot of personality and potential but he is just so lazy.

I hear the dryer buzzing so need to get going. I think I am #14 so whoever visits next can start a new thread.

Have a nice weekend, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Closed Thread