Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Default Carb-Sensitive Dieting

This thread is for carb-sensitive dieters who are following various low-, slow- or moderate-carb diet plans. Come join us, posting as much or as little as you like, as we share our diet plans, menus, recipes, exercise, daily progress, and healthy tips, and chat, inspire, motivate, and encourage each other! Please let us know what carb-conscious plan you are following, even if it's your own individual plan, and we will do our best to support you!

As for me, I am doing a modified version of Tim Ferriss's Slow Carb Diet. I like it because I never feel "starved" (as I always have while dieting in the past) because I no longer experience daily blood sugar spikes and drops due to quick-burning, high glycemic index carbs. I also never feel deprived because this diet includes one day each week when I can eat ANY foods I want. And although exercise is recommended, it is not required. I'm not much of an exerciser, although I am getting better, but I try at least to walk for 20-30 minutes each day. The Slow Carb Diet is not for everyone though. Everybody's different!

The gist of the actual Tim Ferriss Slow Carb Diet is: For 6 days of the week, eat lean, preferably organic meats and fish/seafood, eggs, legumes, and non-starchy veggies. (Sugar-free Jello, 16 oz. of diet soda per day, and 1-2 glasses of red wine per day are also allowed.) On these 6 days, avoid breads/grains, dairy (except for cottage cheese), pasta, fruits (except for tomatoes and avocados), sweets, and starchy vegetables. The 7th day of the week (you choose the day) is a "cheat day," when you can eat anything at all as much as you want, including anything on the forbidden list. The cheat day is recommended to keep you from feeling deprived so you'll stay on the diet and to shake up your metabolism each week to keep it from stalling. Ferriss recommends eating 20 grams of protein with each meal, eating 30-60 minutes within waking up in the morning, eating the same meals over and over, having five low-carb days before taking a cheat day, and some other fine details, which I don't really know because I haven't read his book, The Four Hour Body, nor do I intend to. I'm happy with my own version of the diet!

I am a big believer in doing what works for you (as long as it DOES work), so I have tweaked the Slow Carb Diet, and my personalized plan looks like this:

For 6 days of the week, I eat
--meat (not necessarily lean or organic)
--fish
--legumes (including baked beans)
--eggs
--non-potato veggies
--veggie-like fruits (like tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, etc.)
--nuts and seeds in moderation (a handful)
--peanut butter in moderation (not natural, just regular Jif)
--yogurt
--cottage cheese
--other dairy in moderation
--black and green olives
--condiments and sauces (including ketchup and honey bbq sauce)
--full-fat salad dressings (usually ranch)
--breaded convenience/fast food meats like chicken tenders (It's too much trouble to try to peel the breading off, so I just allow it since I don't eat these foods very often.)

and I drink
--Water, often flavored with Mio Liquid Water Enhancer (I try to drink a half oz of water for every lb I weigh, daily)
--Diet Dr. Pepper (I'm addicted to this and I'm trying to stay away from it, but I still don't want to remove it from my list!)
--Green tea, sweetened with Splenda

For these 6 days, I avoid
--breads, cereals, and grains (including corn)
--pasta
--fruits (except veggie-like fruits)
--potatoes
--sweets

I count no calories. I count no carbs. I count no grams. I don't eat within 30-60 minutes of waking up. I don't eat every 4 hours. I don't pay attention to numbers at all. I don't necessarily eat the same meals over and over. (If I do, it's simply because I like those foods!) I eat when I'm hungry. I stop when I'm full, and I try not to eat late at night, although if I'm hungry, I will.

The 7th day of the week (I've chosen Saturday, although I'll move it for a special occasion) is what Tim Ferriss calls Cheat Day but what I call Carb Day. (It's not cheating on the plan but rather an actual part of the plan!) I can eat WHATEVER I want as much as I want on Carb Day, but again, I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. Plus, I do try to be mindful that the more quick carbs I eat, the more I am going to crave them, so I try not to go "all out" (although occasionally I will). I do gain between .5 and 2.5 lbs the day after Carb Day, but it's just water weight and it usually falls back off in the next couple of days while I continue to lose fat. It's all figured into the plan, so I don't worry about it.

So that's what I'm doing! What are you doing?

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-07-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #2  

Yay! I am back down a half lb after my Carb Day water weight gain!

Week 9: High 199.5, Low 198.5
6/28--199.5
6/29--199
6/30--199
7/1--198.5
7/2--198.5
7/3--198.5
7/4--199.5 Carb Day
Week 10:
7/5--200.5
7/6--200
7/7--
7/8--
7/9--
7/10--
7/11-

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:
2 eggs fried in coconut oil
2 link sausages
Mio water

Lunch:
Large field greens salad, loaded with veggies, black beans, shredded cheese, and turkey, with ranch dressing
Mio water

Snack:

Dinner:
Large loaded hamburger salad
Mio water

Today's Exercise:
2-mile walk around the gym track, 20 minutes on the elliptical (10 minutes twice), 3 sets of 12 reps each on 10 arm and chest machines

(My progress and menu lists for weeks 1-9 can be found starting here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/othe...ead-3-a-6.html.)

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-06-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #3  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

ah i joined this when it was called something else, but I'm going to hope on again...I fell off over the holiday weekend and trying to get back on track

I do my own low carb diet, very close to the slow carb diet.

Today was egg whites with onion, broccoli, cheddar cheese 2 sausage and toast(I add in toast on workout days as I find without I'm constantly hungry)

Lunch was salad 3 meatball, coleslaw and a seltzer
Old 07-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #4  

Thank for the new thread Jac.

I was on South Beach and it just wasn't working as well for me as it did 6 years ago, so I follow that concept but just try harder. I need support and tips from others and I will do the same, that helps me stay on plan.

Today:

B: Moroccan stew, coffee
L: Salad, moroccan stew
S: Navy Bean Brownie, coffee
S: Grilled meat, salad.

I was off work today, so enjoyed the day, finished a sewing project and walked the dogs. Now will do some laundry.

Hi, to everyone and welcome new joiners.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #5  

Yay, Obsidianbbw! I'm glad you're back!

Chickadeee, woohoo on the day off! It sounds like you're having a productive day!

Well, I am off to the gym now!
Old 07-07-2015, 05:29 AM   #6  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Dinner last night was nature's promise meatballs. I had 5 and knocked out.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:04 AM   #7  
maintaining since 9/2013

Thank-you for starting the new thread Jacqui!

obsidianbow! There is great support here

chickadeee, I too had Moroccan stew yesterday (using dried garbanzos). Hope it hit the spot!

I'm toying with fast carb to improve my sleep. I know things don't happen overnight, literally and figuratively, lol. But last night was just so-so, maybe a little better than previously, after a pear and banana over the course of the evening. Although I ate on program otherwise, my weight stayed the same, 168.8. As eager as I am to see it come down, I'm not going to be cut back on anything for a few days. But I'm officially limiting my Carb Day to single meal.

Yesterday:
Veg omelet, protein shake
Salad/chicken, kidney beans, avocado, evoo
Moroccan stew, shredded cabbage, evoo
pear, banana, splash of protein shake in coffee, broccoli, carrot
2L cold herbal tea, 5747 steps a lot of which were with wearing 8 lb xray shield--that's got to count for a little extra!

PreCarb Day Weight
Beginning Slower Carb 169
Week 1 166.2
Week 2 167.2
Week 3

Last edited by mars735; 07-08-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:17 AM   #8  

Woohoo! I am back down to pre-Carb Day weight!

Week 9: High 199.5, Low 198.5
6/28--199.5
6/29--199
6/30--199
7/1--198.5
7/2--198.5
7/3--198.5
7/4--199.5 Carb Day
Week 10:
7/5--200.5
7/6--200
7/7--198.5
7/8--
7/9--
7/10--
7/11-

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:
2 eggs fried in coconut oil
1.5 slices of bacon
Greek yogurt with Mio
Mio water

Lunch:
Large field greens salad, with lots of veggies, shredded cheese, ham, walnuts, with ranch dressing
Greek yogurt with Mio
Mio water

Snack:

Dinner:
Pulled pork
Green beans
Mio water

Today's Exercise:
2-mile walk around the track, 20 minutes HIIT elliptical (10 min, twice), 3 sets of 12 reps each on 10 leg, waist, and back machines

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-09-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #9  

Good morning, All!

Mars, I hope the fruit in the evening starts working for you to improve your sleep! You know how I had speculated that I might have gained real weight, not just water weight, after I ate SO MUCH on 4th of July for Carb Day? I guess it was just water weight since it dropped back off as easily as usual, so yay! I hope your change to just one quick-carb meal on Carb Day works well for you!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-07-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #10  
maintaining since 9/2013

Jacqui Hooray for you, being back in Onederland! Looks like you definitely live there now! :
Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #11  

I decided to change my master list of allowed foods to include dairy, because I had already allowed yogurt, cottage cheese, and other cheese in moderation. So pretty much all that's left is butter and milk, and I will cook with those if need be, so I just changed it to allow dairy. I'm not of the opinion that dairy is a detriment to blood sugar anyway. The only dairy that triggers my cravings is cheese and I know I have to be careful with that!

Thanks Mars!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-07-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Thanks for starting this new thread, Jacqui. Right now I don't know what I'm doing, but I know it's not Slow Carb. As a diabetic, I just can't do the Cheat Day the way it is recommended.

I plan on keeping starchy carbs low, but no foods are completely forbidden. Since DH likes carbs on the menu at dinner, I may or may not be eating a small serving with dinner, depending on what it is and what else I'm eating. My main goal will be to watch my portions and total calories by tracking on Fitday.

This morning I didn't eat until noon, except for my coffee. I had a hard boiled egg and a mix of cooked greens, cabbage, spinach, kale, collards, topped with a sprinkling of Feta Cheese. That's a favorite lunch of mine, and the HB egg provided some protein in the absence of breakfast.

I think dinner will be chili con carne. Just love my beans!

Chickadeee, I am reading a book called Fat Chance. He did a review of popular diet plans and the one he recommended most was South Beach. It's a good diet, but not as popular as the lower carb diets are now.

Mars, I doubt if I would have left the thread. I feel that I have become friends with all of you and would have wanted to continue in the conversations. I learn a lot from you.

Obie, I'm glad to see you here. The more the merrier! Looking forward to getting to know you.

I hope Rennie will come to visit us now and then.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-07-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #13  

Hi Everyone.

I am looking for a protein smoothie, meal replacement kind of thing. I have Inca Meal Sprouted Rice Protein. 15g Protein per serving. Any suggestions what I can do with this to keep it low carb?

Today was back to work for me, back to the grind.

B: Eggs, broccoli, 1 slice bacon, coffee
S: cut up tomato with 1/4 avocado
L: Chicken roll ups, cheese
S: Yogurt, PB
D: Chicken breast, salad

Mars: I have to tell you that Moroccan Stew is pretty good, something about the cinnamon. I must confess I had to use blk beans and kidney beans and I threw in lots of other veggies. It is real good, very filling.

Carol Sue, you will find your sweet spot with this lifestyle change, I love that you keep at it, one way or another. So Beach is a good plan, but I could not find good support, so here I am.

Jac: it is like you are still heading the pack . I plan on doing numbers this weekend, but right now I feel I am pretty much the same, which is ok, because I feel good. (and that is what it is really about)
Old 07-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #14  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

I had a long post and accidentally deleted it.

Jacqui thanks for the PM with the link

Carol Sue, I have had an issue with the restroom for a few years now. When I feel I need to go, I have to go right then also. Drives my husband nuts when we're out. (oh well)

Chickadeee could you post your mock pancake recipe for me please, or the link to where it is on the other thread if it's there. Thank you

Mars what is SAD?

You all are a wealth of information, I can't keep up

I was doing pretty well dropping a few lbs then I had a 2.4lb up. The only difference is I had beef two days in a row which isn't typical for me. So now back to trying to get the scale to go down again. I had also been drinking a juice called Good Belly that a co-worker recommended. It seemed to help with the bathroom and then the beef and no bathroom. IDK, my body is strange. Ok almost bedtime, have a great evening
Old 07-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #15  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Chickadeee, I use to add spinach and coffee grounds to mine, the spinach makes it look yucky, but the coffee made me think I was having a frothie treat, like an iced coffee shake. If yours isn't flavored protein powder I'd add a little vanilla extract also.

Last edited by love2b150; 07-07-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Closed Thread