Old 07-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #1  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Default 6 Pounds away from Where I Started

I cant believe I'm 6 pounds away from where I started, I thought by the end of one year I would be half way to my goal not almost starting at the beginning, I'm just mad at myself for almost being at my start weight again
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Terra, I'm sorry you haven't lost more weight. I know you exercise, so it may be time to reevaluate your diet. For me it isn't all about calories. It's more about what I eat, what will give me the most bang for my calories. I don't eat junk food unless I'm having a cheat day. I avoid processed food, refined carbohydrates and sugar, even most added sugars. Mostly, I eat lean proteins, lots of veggies, some fruit, a little healthy fat, and some whole grains. Not saying this is the way to go, or that you're doing it wrong. Just saying this is what works for me, and maybe you will need to make some adjustments to help you lose a little faster. On a good note, however, losing 6 pounds is definitely better than gaining them. Good luck to you. You will get there.
Cindylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #3  
Turning Into A New Woman

Thanks Cindy

So what should I be eating to lose weight? Alot of food at the grocery store is processed.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Hi Terra, I know most packaged foods are processed. I buy fresh and frozen veggies, fresh fruit, chicken breasts, fresh fish or canned tuna, also some beef and pork, and low fat dairy products, and eggs. For breakfast I have cottage cheese and a small can of v-8 or some fruit instead of the juice, or eggs, sometimes an omelet with some veggies in it. Usually for lunch I have a salad with maybe some grilled chicken in it, or sometimes half a can of tuna in it. Dinner is usually some type of meat and veggies. I snack on string cheese, nuts, fruit or veggies or Greek yogurt. I don't buy organic because it's too expensive.

These are all just suggestions. What works for me may not work for anyone else. I know a lot of folks here count carbs. I think really it's about finding what works for you, what you can eat and still lose weight. Basically you can eat anything in moderation, like on snack foods or processed food follow the suggested serving sizes. I have a hard time with portion control, so I'm better off avoiding anything like that, and sticking to things I can eat a lot of without getting a lot of calories. It's too easy for me to eat an entire bag of chips or cookies but much harder to overeat celery.

I hope some of this helps.
Cindylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #5  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

You don't have to get fresh fruits and veggies. It was one excuse that I gave myself. "You can't afford fresh fruits and veggies. They will spoil.". Well, canned green beans work just fine. Frozen broccoli, cauliflower, Asparagus, etc, work just fine as well. I've found coupons for some frozen veggies. I think that the name was Bird's Eye or something like that. Anyway, they are on sale many times for .99 a bag. If you use a coupon, you can get it for half off to free, sometimes. Even if you can't afford those, just portion control will help a lot. I had no idea what a real portion was until I looked up the daily recommended amounts. Spaghetti, for instance, on the Barilla box, it allows for 2 oz uncooked, which is about 1 1/2 cups cooked. That's 3 times the recommended serving for pasta. Crazy, right?
tootsieroll81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #6  
Turning Into A New Woman

Hi Tootsie,

Thanks so much for replying back. Yes I buy fresh veggies and fruit sometimes but I can also buy frozen veggies and fruit as well, I believe they are just as healthy at least I hope they are. Mom said I need to start cooking my meals that way I dont keep buying frozen t.v dinners so I printed out a monthly calendar that I write my lunch and dinner meals on in order to plan meals. I'll have to start the cooking next month though cause I'm on a fixed income and I dont have the money until next month to buy the foods for the recipes I found online. I know I love my soda too much to give it up so for every soda I drink I turn around and drink a 16.9 oz of bottle of water so I think thats pretty good.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #7  

There's no point in being mad at yourself. Your progress over the past year is no longer in your control (it's history now and dwelling on it will only keep you in a frustrated state).

What has really helped me is setting and focusing on short-term targets. I have long-term goals, but I focus on daily targets (steps, activity minutes, calories in vs. out, water & sleep). In doing so, I only ever have to worry about meeting my targets for "today" and can put "yesterday" and "tomorrow" out of my mind...it's liberating, really.

Good luck!
emilyFIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #8  
Turning Into A New Woman

Hi Emily,

Thanks for replying back. Yeah your right there is no point in being mad at myself I just need to move on and work harder.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #9  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

I know it's 6 lbs lost...but I am the type where if I am not watching myself I am gaining it. I have gained like 15 lbs or more just since January. You have not gained any weight, and that's a good thing.

I don't know what your diet looks like but as the other person said, for me calories are not really helpful. I do better on exchange diets where I am forced to eat veggies and protein. There's all kinds of diets or strategies or whatever...and some work better on different people. Your body first breaks down carbs you just ate because that's easiest for it. When those are not plentiful, they have to go for fat then protein. So when people says calories are all equal, that's not true. If that were true, runners wouldn't carboload for accessible energy...they'd eat whatever they wanted.

Are you drinking diet sodas? Are you drinking water? I really think your body has to be hydrated to be at full weight loss potential, but I have also noticed if I start hitting water hard in the morning, I get way less hungry and it's just easier.
Dairy Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #10  
Turning Into A New Woman

For every soda I drink I drink a bottle of water
Old 07-20-2015, 08:22 PM   #11  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

soda has a good little punch of sodium...even diet. it will make you hold water some. I have a bad diet mtn dew addiction but this diet only allows 2 diet sodas a day and I have been able to get by on 1. I almost wonder if my diet soda addiction didn't cause me to have metabolic problems.
Dairy Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #12  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairy Fairy View Post
soda has a good little punch of sodium...even diet. it will make you hold water some. I have a bad diet mtn dew addiction but this diet only allows 2 diet sodas a day and I have been able to get by on 1. I almost wonder if my diet soda addiction didn't cause me to have metabolic problems.
It's full of toxins, so I don't think you have to wonder. Diet soda is terrible for you.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote