Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 10:05 AM   #1  
I wanna be a Loser!

Unhappy Very out of shape! Need Suggestions

I haven't really exercised in years. Unless you count walking through Wal-Mart. I'm a little over 300lbs, very inflexible, have a weak back and weak ankles and I get out of breath very easy. I literally have to gasp for air sometimes if I have to, say, park too far away from a store. I don't even get into the store before I have to stop and catch my breath.

But, still, I want to find a work out that would suit me. I have a couple of beginner yoga tapes and Oy Vey... they're killing me! It's still too much for me. I will have to use those later. I think I need to work on my flexibility and toning first and foremost and ease into the cardio. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think that may make it easier on me since I have zero stamina.

Does any one have any suggestions of easy beginners tapes? No yoga please, I already have 2 that I was told were the easiest of the easy tapes and those are the ones that are killing me. I'm up for anything else.

Thanks!

~ Lilith
Old 02-06-2004, 10:27 AM   #2  

lilith i too am over 300 lbs. and did lead a pretty couch potatoey life. i had bad knees, and weak ankles and couldn't breath if i walked very far. i started out at a 5 min. a day walk and did that for awhile and addded 5 min. at a time until i am now up to 45 min at a time without feeling like i am going to fall over from a heart attack. i have started going to a gym and doing some weight training. my knees no longer bother me and i have lost a total of 32 lbs. i have a lot more to go, but i am taking it one day at a time. and that is what you should do also. go slow. even if it seems rediculously slow. do you have access to a pool. water arobics are great or so i hear. i don't have access to a pool. i hope this helped some. just remember you are doing great to even begin a weight loss journey. keep it up.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:10 PM   #3  

Angry water aerobics

I agree with you Chequita girl,that water aerobics are a wonderful way to get started! When I started on my lifestyle change I checked into water aerobics because I had heard so many great things about it. There are so many different people in that pool! Men, women, youngins (out of high school), retired, people that weigh 100 lbs to people that weigh 400 lbs. As long as you are moving in the water you are getting a workout! The resistance is great and you feel terrific afterwards. Some go all out with the instructor, and others do a scaled down version of the workout and that is ok all around.
I also have some resistance bands that I bought awhile back, I really should use them again because that is something that you can do sitting in a chair. Little things added up will make the difference. Walking for 5 min to start is great, then gradually build up the time.
Congratulations on taking the first step, I look forward to hearing about how you are doing!
Old 02-06-2004, 05:36 PM   #4  

Hi I have a tape Leslie Sansone Walk way the pounds express easy walk one mile
it worked for me hope it will help you Jean
Old 02-08-2004, 07:12 AM   #5  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Walking and aqua aerobics are the only 2 I would recommend. Everything else needs some control and strength whcih you proabably just don't have as yet.

Start off nice and slow, just a 5 minute walk, once a day buolding up to every day is a great start!

Come back and tell us how you get on. We'll support you no end! You'll also find lots of different people with lots of different experiences so you're bound to find someone who makes sense to you!

Read you later,
Old 02-08-2004, 08:47 AM   #6  
Running Babe

Lilith: I started out at 256 and like the others found walking/water aerobics great to start with! You do get toning benefits with water aerobics too!

Glad you're looking into exercise, a key ingredient many people forget when trying to lose weight. I'd also consult with your doctor and see what they recommend as well.

Cheers!

Ali
Old 02-08-2004, 10:27 PM   #7  
New and shy

Arrow

Well, I got the feeling from your post that you were looking for a workout tape type program, but I found that those just don't work for me, too easy to be un-motivated if all I have to answer to is a video tape. But I started at curves last week and have found it to be wonderful. You can go at your own pace, which has REALLY helped me out because, like you, I am VERY out of shape as well as bad back, knees, the works. You might want to look into it, if they have one in your area, it might be helpful for you as it is for me. Here is the address to their site to maybe learn a little more about them and see if there is one in your area. I hope you find something that works for you, whatever it is! http://www.curvesinternational.com/

Cezanne
Old 02-12-2004, 12:29 PM   #8  
I wanna be a Loser!

Default Thank you!

Thanks you all for your suggestions! Water aerobics sounds like a good idea, but I'm too self conscious to be in a swimsuit! I had a friend try to get me to go with her several years ago, and I was smaller then than I am now!

I had already been thinking about Curves. I have one right up the street from me. I don't know if I can afford it though, especially if they want me to pay one year in advance in addition to the enrollment fee. Plus, i'm getting ready move out of state this spring and I don't know if it transfers. I do know there are tons of locations where I'll be moving though. 44 of them in a 25 mile radius! Colorado really is a health-oriented state!

In any case, I ordered my 2-mile WATP yesterday and I also recieved my Tae Bo videos in the mail yesterday!

I think I'm finally getting somewhere.

~ Lilith
Old 02-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #9  
New and shy

Arrow

I don't know for sure about ALL Curves, but I just paid the sign up fee and the first month (and it was MUCH lower than any of the other gyms I talked to!), not a full year. Also, I started at a Curves that was about 10 miles away from me and then discovered that there was another one about 6 blocks away and I was able to transfer without a problem. Call the one close to you and ask them to be sure, but I think you should be able to transfer without too much trouble. I hope it all works out for you! I can't believe I'm saying this because I've been an over 300 pound severe couch potato myself pretty much all my adult life, but...Exercising really does make you feel better, even if you just do a little bit! Good luck!
Closed Thread