Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:30 AM   #1  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Default 2014 Starters: Ignite your light and let it fly, like the 4th of July

Gosh, June flew by! Here we are passing the half-way mark of 2015.

For a July theme ...

I think we can all relate to Katy Perry's 2010 song "Firework":

Do you know that there's still a chance for you
Cause there's a spark in you

You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine
Just own the night like the 4th of July

Baby, you're a firework
Come on, let your colors burst

And it seems especially apropos in this fireworks month of 2015.

May we all let our colors burst this July as we continue on our journey of self improvement and better health.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 06-30-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:51 AM   #2  
Serial Dieter

And may everyone here continue to have great success on their journey!!!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Height: 5'6

Avalon - Thanks for kicking us off!

WI today...not expecting much. I had my big loss for the month and now seem to be crawling again. But since I know in my heart I have had extra packets here and there to deal with stress..I am giving myself a break.

Today marks my 1 year on program and I am so proud of what I have done in a year....88 Lbs and I have taken my life back.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrealtor1 View Post
I have had extra packets here and there to deal with stress..I am giving myself a break.

Today marks my 1 year on program and I am so proud of what I have done in a year....88 Lbs and I have taken my life back.

And congratulations on your 1 year anniversary!! You are amazing
Old 06-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 194/141/125

Height: 5'

Avalon, thanks for starting this thread. Thanks for the words of encouragement, too (the June page).

I did go for my annual yesterday, and my doctor was so pleased. No knee pain, not pre-diabetic anymore, all numbers are GREAT. Stopped taking my high blood pressure meds the day I started IP (Dec. 1). He was pleased I have a plan in place once I reach maintenance. I plan on going to the weekly classes for the rest of my life. Just scared I'll be hungry for the rest of my life. It's hard maintaining when you're 5' tall, and I still have 15 more pounds to lose. Thinking about changing that to 10 pounds. I won't be skinny, but I won't be fat. Paying attention to my fat percentage.....it's still just outside (1.5%) the top of the desired range.

Grateful for all the encouragement.

Had a nightmare last night about gaining it back.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #6  
Serial Dieter

MizBeadz, yes I totally hear you. It's hard figuring out a good goal weight. But I wonder if it might be better to raise ones goal to a more easily maintainable level rather than try to push ourselves down to a weight that we think we "should be" (or that we were at 10-20 years younger) and then not be able to maintain that. At the weight you are now, you are probably pretty healthy! Sounds like it from your blood work. So maybe just working on maintaining that loss for a while might be a good strategy (esp with your upcoming travel -- and a sense I am getting from you that you feel a little bit burned out). Who knows maybe if you can just maintain where you are for a few months, it might give you enough energy to try to push down another 5-10 pounds from there if you are still unhappy with your weight. I do think most of us are too hard on ourselves and sometimes we get so hung up on what we didn't do (reach a hard to attain goal weight) ... that we forget or diminish what we did accomplish (getting 80% of the way there and markedly improving our health!). There is always a silver lining around somewhere.

SG, Congrats on 1 year!!! Wow. You've come such a long way

Last edited by Avalon1957; 06-30-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 194/141/125

Height: 5'

Avalon, I've been toying with the idea of phasing off for a couple of months now. The only thing that's really stopping me is the people in my class (my coach is an MD who holds group nutrition classes) keep telling me to keep going....that it's really, really hard to start again.

I'm definitely not trying to get back to where I was when I was 25.....102 lbs. definitely not realistic at the age of 58. I feel really good, but I think I'm just a bit pudgy, and that there's NO room for leeway.

I just know the temptations of San Antonio in July and the beach in August are going to be too much. I've made it through Christmas, Valentine's, The Texas Music Educators conference in San Antonio in Feb., Easter, weddings, a reunion, birthday parties, Teacher Appreciation week and not cheated. Just not thinking I want to forego all of summer. I know a lot of people would disagree with me and gripe at me and say I'm wrong and need to stick with it, but I've just finished 7 months without cheating, and I'm tired. I could probably keep going indefinitely, but do I really want to..... I'm missing out on a lot, too. I don't want to make the wrong decision. Thanks for listening to me!
Old 06-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Happy anniversary Sue! I am so proud of you and all that you have accomplished in the past year, especially holding so firm in the face of a lot of challenges!

Alexandra - I love your theme for July, very festive!

But, quite frankly, I would like to know when I missed the part when we decided to change our name (again!), and completely white-wash out our whole identity?! I am probably the only one who cares, (again!!) but I really identified with our group. I will use it now in past tense because it's gone. I don't see any reason why this group could not have existed as-was, other groups exist just fine and aren't washed out - Oct 2013 starters for one, over-50 (it's not over 50, under 50, anyone who feels like it). Our group was not closed, it was welcoming and open to all who wanted to join our positive vibe and post in it, it was not exclusive, exclusionary, or bothering anyone else.

I was really looking forward to logging on today, but now I'll just leave it with
RIP Summer 2014 Starters
Because there's really nothing left to say, I probably shouldn't even post this but I felt like something needed to be said.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 267/234/145

Height: 5'4"

Isn't this like the daily chat? Seems like everyone is included. Too many threads, too little time to read.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #10  
Serial Dieter

Hey JJTx, I am so sorry. I was trying to be more inclusive, but I totally get where you are coming from. I tried to change the TITLE of the thread back (droppng "(and earlier") but it doesnt look like that will stick to the title shown on the main page (altho it did change the title at the top of my OP).

I guess my only thought was 2014 thread seemed to be dying at times over the past month. So many people have reached goal -- I suppose their attention has turned more to maintenance. I thought by widening the domain it might bring in more traffic. We only seemed to have about 7 or 8 consistent posters in the latter half of June.

If anyone knows how to edit the main title on the primary page, let me know and I will do that.

Call me a screw-up!

I think I will retire myself from starting anymore group threads -- I am not cut out to be a "leader / trail blazer" ... too much pressure!! ; )

JJTX, maybe you can start our August thread and call it whatever you want.

Actually, I think I am going to take a break from the boards for a while. BEST TO EVERYONE! I hope you all reach your goals! I am rooting for you!

Last edited by Avalon1957; 06-30-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #11  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Sue -- Happy Happy Anniversary! You have rocked this thing, through the good times and the tough ones, and your extra packets are certainly far from the worst kinds of cheats you might find to slip into your mouth.

Alexandra - first - thanks so much for taking the time to find us a great opening theme and your usual beautiful images - our thread is such a cool place to hang out with all the colors and great messaging you bring to the boards!!!

Secondly - please don't beat yourself up for the name change -- I know your intentions were very positive ones.

JJTx - We did have a discussion about going from 2014 Summer Starters to 2014 Starters... to open it up and be inclusive for those from other months in 2014 who just never got a tight group of starters of their own. Our June name was the first time we used the broader 2014 Starters. It seemed like no one objected after the topic was posted for several days in May.

And about the same time, the various monthly 2015 groups clumped together as 2015 Winter/Spring -- I thought a Summer 2015 got started, too, but I have not seen it lately.... I must say that I haven't been looking for it, but I think it has slipped off the front page of threads in IP - an indication of less than daily use.

Adding into the 2014 thread name the reference to "and earlier" was also a well-intentioned move, but I think so many of us enjoy and connect with having our chronological identity that we really needed to discuss that kind of change before doing it.

The Oct 2013 thread seems to pick up many other IPeeps from 2013, and most all of them are well settled into maintenance. I am not sure we need a name that's more expansive than 2014 Starters.... so I'd like to go back to the 2014 Starter identify too --- But --

The only person I know of who could change the title of the thread is Lisa - she is the official moderator for the IP sub forum. I notice that she seems to have become less and less present in recent weeks. No weekday chat thread started for this week, I noticed, too. Maybe Lisa is on vacation right now.

We could PM Suzanne (I think that's the point of contact name for 3FC forum issues)..... I am sure that we could create the revised thread name and then have Suzanne move this one into the new one. I have seen Lisa do that before when there are duplicate topics, just to keep all the info a bit organized. I think, as the 'owner' (initiating poster of this thread) I am guessing that you, Alexandra, would need to approach Suzanne and or Lisa to make any change..... does this make any sense?

I have some other stuff to share for today - I'll do a new posting in awhile-- but I want to close here by sharing that I really hate that we manage to let misery creep into our very special 3FC space over something as goofy as the thread names.... we are so lucky to have such a tight supportive group who all began this journey together, and have fought the good fight for a year or more! I love you guys, and if you were not here for me to turn to, I know I would not have come this far to lose 80+ lbs.

And I am having a tough time right now - I need you guys more than ever, so I hope we can move past this little rough patch and you guys can help me get beyond my own sink hole. More on this later...

Last edited by oneuh2; 06-30-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Well clearly I should just not post when I'm po'd.

Sorry Alexandra if I hurt your feelings, and to everyone else for bringing down the thread.

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday week/weekend, and stays strong approaching your own milestones and anniversaries!
Old 06-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #13  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Terrible week. Not compliant at all. The day starts well, but then I get distracted or angry with events and it goes to ****.

Hopefully Friday will see an end to all the frustrations and issues with my sister, and I'll be able to get back to what I want to regard as my normal.

Glad to see that most of us are pushing forward and downward. Good going, you are inspiring me to at least WANT to get back.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #14  

Hi guys, I am so grateful for all of you, I was just thinking about you all this morning.
I love hearing from you.
I think much of the world is having a hard morning this morning.

Avalon, please have a really good break if that's what's right for you, but I hope to see you as soon as we can. It really helps me to have you hear what you have to say.
I think when I started to get close to finishing P1, the emotional part of my journey intensified, and it was like I was on edge all the time. I think I just didn't have any buffer, and small things bothered me more than in the past. I think in the past I had used the food for the buffer. I wasn't active at all on the threads until I started into P2, and I have really needed them.

oneUh, great to hear from you. I was thinking this morning "I'm having a really rough day". The last month has not been easy for me either, not just with health but with many things. I think it's important that no force just separates us all and starts a sink hole, as you said. Please let us know more about how you are.
I had another evening of tears last night. I actually consider it a "win" in every way that I am able to just feel the "hard" emotions and not surpress.

Amanda, thank you for sticking in here with us, regardless of what you are going through.

JJTx .... let's all just keep going.

MizBeadz you're in the right place, we have all gone through many waves of lots of things on our health journeys together here. Have to keep telling myself to be careful of dramatic "right and wrongs", and watch out for perfection. Perfection for me is some weird unattainable thing that just keeps me suffering. I'm over it.

For me, I woke up feeling completely shattered this morning. It's just been a hard week, and a hard month. Hard year, to be honest. And, so much has come from it. But really, it's been a challenge. I'm so lucky to have really close friends to lean on. Some days I'm sailing strong, but today is not one of those days. However, how I am treating myself is caring, not abusive, and not using food or sugar to bring me "up" so I can deal with it better. But not having the supression is also causing me to feel the "negative" feelings of life more fully. Sooooo......
onward and upward, there's a spark in me, let my colors burst

Thank you Avalon for carrying on the thread.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 06-30-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #15  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

We have a lot of emotion happening - both on and off the 3FC IP sub forum - I am struggling with non stop hungries, and losing and regaining the same 4 lbs. This is not a good thing.

However, it is the end of June and my Transformer Diet Bet ends at midnite - I met that goal 2 months ago, so I just need to do my final official weigh in tomorrow and wait to see how much money I win. This is a good thing!

This morning I woke up at my usual time for a work day (around 6AM) and as I moved around out of bed, heading for the bathroom, I realized I was having the dizzies. I did not fully lose equilibrium, but I felt I was on the edge of doing just that. You recall college party nites when you might have had too much to drink and when you made it home to bed, you had 'the spins' -- my feelings this morning were much like the spins. And by 10AM - 4 hours later, I was still feeling those dizzies if I bent over or moved my head to quickly.

I was trying to recall - wasn't Ro22 having these kind of symptoms back in the Spring? I know she turned out to have a D3 deficiency, and my bloodwork showed my Vitamin D levels to be low (tho not Rickets level). I have been taking 5000 IU's, tho I confess, I have not taken them consistently. I am wondering what else might be going on for me.... all my other bloodwork was normal. I need to go back and look at the thyroid stuff. We did not test that last year, but I think I did get some testing on it this year. Anyway - I am wondering if my body is telling me that I have done this program long enough....

So I am struggling...

Avalon - please come back - I need your 'data and facts' based advise, and I'll be very sorry if you drop off posting. You have been a terrific leader among us, all through June, and a much appreciated 2014 Starter IPeep. I am counting on your company as we phase into maintenance!
Closed Thread