Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:34 AM   #1  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile The Luxurious "Summer of Decluttering 2015" Thread

Hello.

Welcome to the summer decluttering thread. Do you have spaces that need clearing out? Stuff in piles or in boxes that haven't see the light of day in months, years, decades? Are you planning a move? A reno? Or just need to change things up? Post here and work your way through it at a leisurely summertime pace.

Enjoy the process.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-09-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:44 AM   #2  
persist

Angry It's gonna happen. I swear it is.

Hi Declutterers.

I have many pressing decluttering issues. Perhaps the first one I will tackle is my small 5 x 10 storage locker that must go. I hope to get rid of most of its contents but what doesn't go will end up at my studio storage space which needs tending to. I did buy a portable light so I can see in it. That is a big help and there are many things in there that can also go. My problem is time. I am on a very tight schedule right now but as one decluttering thread member, Lexxiss, has shown me, even if I just take an hour every day and work on the problem, eventually it will get done. I will commit to taking an hour every day to deal with the storage locker this week and we'll see how far I get. Hopefully there will be no locker payment required in July. That would be good.

ISSUE #1: Storage Locker
Problem: need to get rid of it
Solution: empty it out
How: Work for one hour until all contents have been gone through and either kept, tossed, or re-cycled.
GOAL: end locker contract/stop paying for a storage locker.
Timeline: end of June.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-22-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:17 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for getting us started, onebyone! Best wishes as you tackle your storage locker!

I did accomplish my Spring goal to make a major shift decluttering my yard. Working on it every day, with major bursts whenever possible was my key to success. More than once, I encountered feelings of hopelessness but I just kept making baby steps.

In my home, what worked for me, and still does, is to do something for 15 minutes every day. I always have a box handy for thrift store and when it's full I get rid of it. I am very discerning about new purchases; ie bringing new stuff in. That philosophy worked well in my yard, too. I filled bags of weeds and hauled them away. I took one isolated area and made a permanent change (weedcloth and bark). I walked through the garden centers many times getting supplies and resisted buying plants and dragging them home. I recognize that until I get the weed issue under control there's no point in putting a bunch of plants in.

So, for Summer I will just keep chugging along....a little bit every day. For me, the every day thing IS about establishing that "routine" which becomes a habit. I detest digging weeds and don't usually find satisfaction in the process of yard decluttering. I'd rather just miraculously have a beautiful yard! I did find many moments of peace during my Spring Challenge and can say that I enjoy the process more now than I did when I started.

I can't always find an hour but I can always find 15 minutes.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #4  
persist

Thumbs up Begin at the beginning - Locker Focus Day 1 of 5

Hi.

Lexxiss I can't tell you how happy I am to see you here. That's fabulous news about your yard improvements! I know it isn't your favorite thing and yet you have stayed at it for a while now. How long has it been?
Are you able to create for yourself some kind of an outdoor oasis, a place just to sit and drink your green juice maybe? maybe read? Maybe recline??
Great work.

So. I set aside an hour to start removing things from my storage locker. What became evident is I want to only take what will fit in my car's truck and backseat. And what fit in the trunk and the backseat took a grand total of 15minutes to load, start to finish.

Now the good news is I found some things I can sell at my upcoming art shows. I know there will be more of that as the week progresses. I also found some display materials I will need so that is also a big bonus. I did not go through these things yet as I want to just pack them into a bin with the other ceramic items I am going to sell.

Tomorrow I can pack the stuff into a new show bin and also pack the new ceramics into the bin. This means I am preparing IN ADVANCE for my upcoming show on July 4/5. And that means less stress moving forward.

I will return again tomorrow to the locker for another trunk load.
I will go through the load I got today as well and deal with it.

I did find out the next storage locker rent is charged on the 29th of June. So my goal is to have it empty on the 28th of June. It's very doable.

ISSUE #1: Storage Locker
Problem: need to get rid of it
Solution: empty it out
How: Work for one hour until all contents have been gone through and either kept, tossed, or re-cycled.
GOAL: end locker contract/stop paying for a storage locker.
Timeline: end of June.
PROGRESS REPORT: 06/22 - filled trunk and 1/2 of backseat with locker stuff. 15min job. Everything still in the car until tomorrow,
Old 06-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 2"

OnebyOne what a bonus to find some things to sell, AND getting part ready for the July 4th event!!!!

Debbie The 15 minute daily clean up is one I'd forgotten about. I can begin that right where I am now instead of putting it off till I have more time.

I'm packing clothes that are too big to take to Goodwill tomorrow and keep finding more to add. How good it felt to have room to fold and put clean clothes into new drawer space.

#1 task is this computer desk beginning now for 15 minutes.

Sandy
Old 06-24-2015, 07:29 AM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

love2garden, glad you are taking the challenge and cleaning out those closets/drawers!

onebyone, great job on the locker! You asked several questions....I started in the yard before the last challenge started. We had some really nice weather early on and I worked between snow storms. I can't believe what great progress has been made just by sticking with it. I have several different "sitting areas". I have worked on them all. The big patio in the back was always an aggravating spot because a huge weed clutter was right behind. That was one of my first areas to attack. All the weeds were dug out (a major chore) and I replaced with weed cloth and bark. A nice spot for shady lounging exists under a big ash tree, however the tree had aphids this year, so I haven't brought out the old lounge chairs, since they'd just get syrupy with tree drip, but I have been hitting the tree with water spray every day and the aphids are not such an issue any more. I have a nice spot on the porch with a small table. I recovered the seats last week so it has improved. The old seats were torn and ugly. Last, I have a narrow spot that fits two existing antique metal chairs. It, too, has viewed a horrible and large weed patch. I've painted the chairs and today am going to do a huge makeover.

So, today is the final push in the yard before my DH returns from Alaska. Everything else I have done on my own, but for today I have enlisted the help of my neighbor boy. He's 15 and a good friend. I have a large patch of yucky lawn that is surrounded by weeds. It does look pretty good when it's mowed but the mower has to be lifted to that level, which is a two person job. We are going to mow, then attack the weeds around the perimeter. There is a big chip pile up there from our chipper. I wont use those chips anywhere else because I believe they have lots of weed seeds (creeping bellflower) which have fallen over the years from the next level up. Since I haven't eradicated up there I think the weedcloth and chips will at least keep the tall grasses from invading. We shall see what happens! I will take a before picture.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:30 PM   #7  
persist

Thumbs up best laid plans

Hi Everyone

love2garden Thanks for joining in. I have the clothes issue here at home and will need to do a major culling. I continue to create piles of clothes on the floor. But, to be fair, some of the pile is blankets and bed stuff. doesn't sound good, I know, but it's the truth. How did the computer desk task go?

Lexxiss For someone averse to gardening and all that I was impressed by you saying you were wary of the creeping bellflower seeds in the wood chips. Right away the words "know your enemy" crossed my mind! What's great about you is when you're in, you are IN! I can't wait to see before and afters of your garden! I hope today's work went well.

For myself, well we have had to spend time visiting MIL in the hospital the last two nights. She will be there for at least 2 more nights as well. My extra time/time carved out seems to be non-existant and I have my priority of getting my show stock ready. Still. I will need to go to my studio at some point and when there I will free up space in my storage areas to receive what I keep of the locker stuff. I can take a *credit* for using some of the material I took out of the locker and for packing my first bin of show stock, even though I have to unpack it to take photos..but never mind! I am on the right path.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #8  
persist

Post delayed

Hi

Reporting in that my locker emptying has been delayed until the end of this week. The first load is still in the car's trunk. I have yet to get to my studio space to sort and create room for another locker load. The added visits to see MIL in the hospital have burned out all the extra time I would have used for the locker and I can't seen to get away from the pottery studio yet. I am hoping that as the week progresses, especially after Tuesday. I leave on Friday for setting up so that day is out.

All of this may yet fall into next week but while I am readying for another show, it is a different kind with more variety so I should be ok. Maybe! I'll just keep at it whenever I am in the area and can get there.

Bye for now.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #9  
persist

Default next week then.

Hello.

Just affirming to myself that I am still cleaning out that locker but it will be next week and most likely Wednesday - Friday. I can see it will get done and I did find out I will get a partial refund for any days that were paid for but not used if I leave before the end of the month. More importantly, this will be the last month I have the locker at all.

I did clean up/clear out stuff int he apartment so it looks "normal" for the landlord since he came by to turn the air conditioning on. He offered not to lock the lock box but I declined. When he comes 2x a year it makes me stay on my toes re: clutter. I know he'll be in so I can 't just let it go to h*ll in a handcart.

More on this later but just wanted to remind myself that I will succeed with the decluttering sooner rather than later.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #10  
GlenwoodHotSprings

That's a great step forward, onebyone, making the decision to allow your landlord to continue his visits as a method of accountability. I hope your time is freed soon so you can continue on your storage locker. Neat that you can get some of that money back. You sure and have had a lot sent your way lately.

I have continued to do work in my yard, although not as high speed as during our previous thread. I've mostly been doing smaller maintenance projects but this morning I went out and spent several hours trying to get rid of a large chokecherry which is and enmeshed itself in the historic honeysuckle hedge. I made some good progress but there is one giant route that I have yet to budge. I finally decided it was time to stop and went down to Denver for a water aerobics class. Outside. It was really enjoyable!

I was asked about pictures and so I will make a commitment to post some.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #11  
GlenwoodHotSprings

This is my front yard which had an old lawn which never grew well. Last year I started a raspberry patch which is doing quite well. I put up an old gate which I reclaimed from the landfill to use for sweet peas and flowers. I came up with an off centered shape for a flower garden in between the raspberries and the sweet peas. I dug a trench where I put landscape edging and use old brick to border the new garden. I decided to cover the space with landscaping fabric and bark and keep all the plants in pots this year instead of the arduous task of taking out old grass. It's funny, to me it doesn't really look like much from the pictures it was a lot of work for a novice gardener.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 129387216779020577.jpg (47.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (69.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-11-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:24 PM   #12  
Jenn

S/C/G: 113/85/75

I love dropping in to this thread and seeing the changes that everyone is making and gaining inspiration and motivation for continuing with my own.

I made it to a milestone this weekend (one of the coldest on record for where I am) in that all of my mess is now sorted and categorised, things that need to be stored are boxed and out of the way. A couple of boxes contain things that are linked to specific areas (like the office area) and they are neatly stored there ready to be sorted and put away.

Overall, the floor space is now cleared, shelves hold what they are meant to and there are a couple of carloads of salvage, recycling and donatables ready to be transported.

The end result was that a person who has never met me before arrived at my house and made the comment that 'it's the neatest renovation I've ever seen'

I have to make the beds, vaccum and put away the clothes in the bedroom and I will feel that my place is habitable.

It has taken a while, but my method has been to work in a room moving, arranging and getting rid of as much as I can handle at one time. I will move anything that belongs in other rooms to that room. I then move on to the next room until I have been through the house. Then I start again.

End result, each room has what it needs to function and nothing more! Even the stuff that is being stored is in the correct room for it, but discreetly tucked away.

Now that I have that under control the next step is actually getting the renovations done. Floors to be polished (now that I can see them again, might as well make them pretty) Doors to be fixed, bedroom wardrobes and then fireplaces installed. A few extra kitchen cupboards (overheads) and then the big one. The new bathroom to be installed.

This should increase my storage space to more than what I actually need - a strange concept.

An unexpected consequence of focussing on decluttering so much has been the change in my spending habits. It seems so wrong to buy more stuff when I am throwing so many things out that I have started to question my impulse purchases. This has lead to me saving money much more easily. Has anyone else noticed this.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Debbie, your garden is beautiful! I can tell you have done a lot of work, and its very impressive. thanks for sharing the pictures!
Old 07-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #14  
persist

Default Froward.

Hi. Today I'm focusing on reclaiming my studio space and the completion of moving the stuff from the storage locker. But first things first. I need to deal with the space some of that stuff is for going into. Time to work.

Steps

1. Clear out space in studio by bathroom. Re-arrange/sort/discard in there Make decisions and follow through. DONE.

2. Clean out locker. Use what is useful in locker, like shelves, in the space by the bathroom in the studio. Again re-arrange/sort/discard. Follow through.in progress.

3. Clear out studio space. Make decisions about usefulness of furniture in there. If not useful get rid of it. You may need the open.space more than you need a bureau and shelves. Think about it. Follow through with your decisions.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-23-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #15  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Best wishes, onebyone, as you press forward!

I've got a busy day. 2 grandkids, 2 "kids", DH and I for a birthday dinner here tonight. The house and yard both need to be kid proof. I started yesterday so I wouldn't be pressured. This morning as I thought my day through I had recognition of how my continuing "routine" makes everything so much easier. True to Beck, my brain has really reorganized, and nothing is as difficult as it used to be. No panic today...just a plan to see it through.

Must report. I just sat outside with my puppies and had a wonderful moment of serenity. Although I felt I had a lot to do between yesterday and today, I spent five hours out in the yard yesterday. I filled my four trash barrels with yard stuff I wanted to go away. I have never had curbside trash service but signed up for it this spring knowing what I wanted to accomplish in the yard. The key for me, has been to fill those four barrels every week. They will haul 4 every week but won't hall 24 in one. It's kept A steady flow of yard stuff going out, which has made such an improvement every single week. I have one long section of yard which I knew I would not be able to totally deal with this year. It's filled with Oriental poppies and lots of weeds. I love the Oriental poppies but they bloom once and then they're a big mess the rest of the year. I think for next year I'll try to do something different because due to our weather this year they didn't even bloom. But, for now, I cleaned out all of the dead and it looks so much better. Even though not perfect, but certainly improvement.

I by no means have been able to totally eradicate the creeping Bellflower. It's vigorous and has just taken over after so many years. But, I don't have any blooming in my yard this year which means that at least what is there is not reseeding. I have several flowerbeds where I went in after the weeding and cover the areas with cardboard. I pulled some up to look the other day and there is some regrowth but it's very minimal. I think I'm going to enjoy the rest of the summer in the yard and come fall I will take the cardboard out and re-weed those areas.
What I acknowledged this morning as I sat outside, was that with diligence and routine I can really make a difference in my environment. Credit.
What I noticed when I came back inside, was that everything in my house is so much easier now since 90% of the clutter is gone. I can honestly say that of tons of stuff that I hauled out of my home, that there's not anything that I miss today. When I come up with something that I really need, I check in to make sure that I really do need it and then I just go get it. It's so much easier for me than stashing hundreds of items for that someday.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-17-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Closed Thread