Old 06-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #1  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Default Looking for a running buddy!

Hey all. I thought this might be a good place to start looking for a running buddy since I'm already part of this community here. I have very few friends who run, but I know I am more motivated when I have someone to talk to and share my runs with, even if its virtually sharing through apps and whatnot.

I'm looking for someone around my age (28), female preferred, who has run a 5K but is still a "green" runner. My goals right now are to get below a 30 min. 5K and my longest run is just about 4.5 miles. I run about 10 miles/week and have only been running since February. I know I won't find someone who exactly lines up with me, but it would be nice to have someone to swap stories with, talk about gear, etc. This board is SO slow and there aren't really any running groups in my area.

I use MapMyRun right now but am thinking of switching to Strava. I'm open to tracking/sharing in other ways.

Even if none of this fits you, I'd love to add you as a friend on MapMyRun. Apparently none of my "real life" friends use it
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #2  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

It'd be great to talk running with you! I mean, I've been doing it for a long time but that doesn't mean I'm a pro . I also have drawn myself a new workout plan and I'm going to go back to basics, since I'm finding I'm no where near as good as I once was.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

I'd be up for it but I'm just about to start the C25K programme and can't run 5k straight yet. I'll be checking out the tracking apps you mentioned, though!
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:33 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I'm too old, male and run too far and often.

But I would well advise you to look up and see if there is a Hash House Harriers running club in your area. They can be a lot of fun and are well worth a try, if even just once. And would be perfectly suited to the distances you are running.

Last edited by IanG; 06-16-2015 at 08:37 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #5  
Call me NNS!

Thanks guys! I just really need the connection and motivatiin and didn't know where to go.

Ries, I had alresdy thought of you and should have reached out. Do you use anything to track your runs and do you have a way you would prefer to touch base?

Muguet, you are doing great with C25K! Its never too early to be thinking about what's next after the program is over

Ian, there are not any running clubs in my area that would be at all feasible for me and I'm moving in a month so it didn't make sense for me to find someone here I will double check on that specific club you mentioned but I searched for hours the other day to no avail. Stupid suburbs.

I got shin spints last night so I skipped my run. Tonight I got home late so I skipped it again. Three days in a row without running! Odd for me lately, but I think I needed the break. Up early tomorrow before it gets too hot and hopefully no more shin splints.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #6  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Running is my favourite workout, but I'm also a "lazy" exerciser and a super slow runner. My ultimate running goal (for now) is to get to a sub-30 minute 5k as well. I don't race (except against myself) but I do use Map My Run and run 4-5 km per session but I'm open to challenging myself to do more.

I think having a running buddy would be the perfect push out of my current slump. I would like to run 4-5 times a week. I'm 28 as well (at least for another week or so), female and a "green" (hobby) runner even though I've been running since 2010.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #7  
Call me NNS!

toastedsmoke, would you be open to connecting on MapMyRun since you already use the app? Or do you prefer to just catch up on here?

Sounds like we're in a very similar spot in running and life

Last edited by nonameslob; 06-17-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #8  
Mini Goal 1- 199

NNS, I'll message you with my MapMyRun deets. We can also catch up here. But even when I'm not here, I'm there. So both.

I missed today's run but will rock out tomorrow's... Hopefully. I only started running out of doors this year. Before that, I was a signed, sealed, delivered treadmiller. My current running struggle is knowing I could run faster but then pacing myself to run slower because I know I still have a distance go. It was easier working on speed on a treadmill, because all I had to do was up my speed on the machine and get used to running at a constant speed. Where do you run? How are you planning to work on speed?
Old 06-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #9  
Call me NNS!

Added you!

Oh man I feel that struggle. It's so hard to figure out how fast you're going when MMR only tells you once a mile. I sometimes wear a watch so I can keep better track. Would that help you at all?

I started running outside maybe a couple months ago, but I still do most of my runs inside. It's just so freaking hot right now and I never manage to get up in the mornings to run unless its the weekend. Though I am going to try tonight, since once again I slept it and missed a "scheduled" run.

I do one HIIT run each week on a treadmill at the gym, usually 30 second sprints and 1:30 fast walk. That's helping me with speed a lot! Then I do a mix of 2.5 to 3.5 mile runs each week and just started adding 4+ mile runs.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #10  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

I use Garmin Connect, anyone else have a Garmin? I don't take my phone with me unless I'm going on a long run in case something happens to me! I got the Garmin as a present so I like to use it over my phone . So I'm better off tracking runs and touching base here!

Right now, as I mentioned before, I'm going back to basics. I basically went on Hal Higdon's website and brought up his 5K, 8K, 10K and 15K training and took the scheduled medium run and long run of the week and made a big list of them. Even though I did at 10K recently, I felt my fitness had really suffered after a couple of years of not running consistently. I wrote about it in my blog here in case anyone is interested!

I did a 1.5 mile run yesterday in 18:01, making my pace 12:01 min/mi. I had to walk on and off, I'm not sure if it was the heat (I put it off until 2pm, it was really hot out!) or something else. I think I'll be happy when I can run without taking mini breaks, I know I'm capable of it since I ran a 10K a month ago without stopping, it's all just a mental block I think! I know cross training is going to help me though. It'll be nice to be running at my usual 10 min/mi again!
Old 06-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #11  
Call me NNS!

Ries, I've wanted to get a Garmin watch but haven't! Maybe one day.

You really are going back to basics! Sounds like a great plan. I LOVE your chart with the 6 workouts and how you track. That really seems to take the pressure off of missing a workout, since you aren't really requiring a certain workout to be done a certain day. I think that's why those pre-made running plans turn me off. I think that plan should work out really well for you!

I tried out Strava on my last run. I had that and MapMyRun going at the same time. Strava gives you verbal notifications every half mile, which I thought was nice. My bf uses it for biking and there's lots of competitive things built into it (like you can sprint different "segments" to compete for best time), but unfortunately not a lot of people use it for running in my area. It'll be more useful when we get to Denver.

Aiming for a long run tomorrow morning!
Old 06-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #12  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

NNS - My Garmin was a complete surprise present last Christmas! Thanks for checking out my charts, I'm a bit of a chart nerd it seems. You're exactly right, I really don't work well with strict weekly plans. Life happens and sometimes workouts slip through the net. I would always feel like a failure if I missed a workout, so having a loose chart to work from really helps. Plus, I get to use my cute stickers that I got from Japan :3. Strava sounds interesting! Sounds like it's really useful so you don't have to look at your screen to see how far you're going. I'm positive you'll find more running buddies in Denver!

I'm gonna do some yoga today, it's a cross training day and I really want to focus on my posture. I've been getting twinges in my neck/mid back recently. I'm really sh!t at yoga though, I can never hold the poses that require me to hold myself up in a plank-like position for long! The weather is going to get HOT this weekend, I'm gonna have to start getting up early to avoid the heat!

What do you typically eat before a run? I've been considering not eating anything before a run but then it always seems like I'd be running on empty...but apparently if you run first thing in the morning you're more likely to burn through fat.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #13  
Call me NNS!

I may have to start with your style of planning. Right now I right out a weekly "plan" and I have a goal of 10 miles/week. I don't get too disappointed when things don't work out as planned, as long as I get near my goal, but I really like how yours is set up.

Planks are HARD! Have fun though! I'm with you on getting up early. Gonna be hot and humid.

I don't usually eat before a run if its in the morning. I rather do it fasted, but I'm used to it since I fast twice a week anyway. If its a long run, I might eat a piece of fruit first. Give a fasted run a try! I think you may be surprised what your body can do using stored fuel...

I saw in your Bolder Boulder photos that you have one of those water bottles that has a strap for your hand. Do you like it? What kind is it? I've been thinking of getting a smaller version, like 8 oz our so. Right now for long runs I just carry a regular plastic water bottle and it is hard to grasp.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #14  
Mini Goal 1- 199

Hey NNS rocking out dem runs! I didn't run this weekend because it's the rainy season where I am and this weekend was monsoon-y, rained 8 hours on Saturday which led to flooding and has been raining off and on since yesterday so booo. I was able to make it out this morning even though it was damp and puddly and drizzly and just kinda messy outside. Thank you. Because to be honest, I only went because you ran both days this weekend and I was like "girrrrlll, you better get up and catch up a bit." This running buddy thing is working. For me, anyway.

I only started running outside this year and now I'm so in love with it, it's hard to go back to the gym. I live in the tropics (hot and humid year round) and work till late most days so I need to get my runs in early in the morning it gets too hot. I'm NOT at all a morning person so most of my runs are very like "crawl out of bed at the very last possible minute that will still allow me to slink into my office less than half an hour late." Ain't nobody got time for the extra commute to the gym in the morning. I'm thinking maybe on Saturdays though could work. Or I could just find some discipline and get up earlier. #tears

I haven't been able to come up with any non-treadmill ways to work on my time since I don't have access to a track or anywhere else I can know my splits. I think I'm going to take a leaf out of your book and just have a treadmill day to work on speed.

Did you like Strava better than Map My Run? Is it worth checking out? I'm looking to do more with strength training as well but I'm not sure yet. I'm not madly in love with lifting, I admit... In fairness, I didn't used to be madly in love with running outside, so anything is possible. Do you do any non-run exercise?

Re: fasting and running, because I mostly run first thing in the morning, I usually do it fasted but if I'm running in the evenings, I like to have consumed quite a few calories and quite a lot of water otherwise, I tend to feel a little faint-y and headachy. When I have a good meal in me (e.g. lunch) and then run in the evening, I definitely feel the extra energy and stamina. I don't like to eat anything within 2-3 hours of a run though, if not I feel it coming back up... I don't know whether it's wonky digestion or maybe something wrong with the way I breathe when running.

Rie, don't feel bad about your yoga. At least you can get into the poses. I need a tutorial that's like yoga for REALLY inflexible people who have no strength endurance.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #15  
Call me NNS!

toastedsmoke - You're making me laugh! This is exactly why I wanted to get some friends on the app, to motivate each other. I'm so happy its working! And its not just one-sided. I just saw your recent run and it makes me want to get out there (though I do really need to rest today).

The fact that you manage to get out of bed at all is impressive to me...I truly struggle with that and am not sure it will ever work for me. YOU GO GIRL!

Hmm. As for working on time, there are some apps that will audibly walk you through interval training, but they cost money. May be worth it though if you can't get to a gym? I'm sure there's plenty other ways to work on speed without a fancy app or gym though!

Strava was okay. I wouldn't say I liked it any better, but I am looking forward to using it for competing with other people in my area. You may just wanna hop on the website and see if anyone in your area uses it. If not, I wouldn't bother.

---

I try to save my long runs for the weekend, but man it was just so hot and muggy. Glad I got in 3.5 on Saturday, because when Sunday came, I did a mile and couldn't imagine going any farther. I really need to buy one of those water bottles with a strap. I brought a frozen water bottle with me on Saturday, which felt AWESOME (and it did defrost pretty quickly to drink) but it kept slipping out of my hands.