PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #1  

Default Pcos and weight training

Recently I've come across a few articles on the internet saying weight training is bad for women with PCOS because it raises testosterone in your body.

Is this true or do you think it's junk science?

I know weight training is important for health overall. Infact, I am just finishing up the final round of Chalean Extreme, and can personally feel and see the benefits of having more muscle. But as a PCOSer who is currently trying to conceive, I am a bit worried I'm worsening my condition.

The hormone most out of balance for me is my free range testosterone, so to think I could be making more in my body has me completely freaked out.

Thoughts?

Last edited by 2fat2jump; 06-08-2015 at 01:48 PM.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Junk science.

Weight training is great for women with PCOS because if you have IR, it helps control your IR really well. Additionally, because we have extra testosterone, doesn't that mean we can get lean faster than a woman who doesn't? (IF your PCOS is wacky hormones and having higher T).

I think the issue is that PCOS is a very complicated thing and if weight training works for you, then go ahead and do it. I wouldn't stop doing something that's working just because it doesn't work for someone else.

Be aware of your body's signals and adjust accordingly.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #3  

Thank you for your reply. It's good to see someone confirm what I thought. Junk science.

I'm feeling extra exhausted on this PCOS journey, so I'm making myself overly cautious and paranoid.

I have continued my weight training, and it feels great. Plus it seems to be the only thing that gets the scale to move anymore.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 274/243/180

I lost weight before and have PCOS. I weight trained and was fine. I actually felt so much better. On this weightless journey I have been doing the same weights and cardio. I did not see any harm from it. It actually made me look physically smaller then I was. And, I think all the exercise helped with the PCOS.
Aggy91 is offline   Reply With Quote