Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 248?/173/130

Height: 5'8"

Default Could Chinese Thunder God Vine be a Godsend?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...r-weight-loss/

Since I will have finished my weight loss journey before it could get to market, I'm thinking there is a lot of promise here. That would be my luck! As soon as I finish losing weight, a magic pill appears.

Interesting, anyway.
Stripes 237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:52 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well like the article mentions, there have been a lot of previous potential remedies that never panned out. Hoodia is pretty famous because billions of dollars were poured into it but in the end, any hopes of using it didn't pan out. And mice aren't humans, they are a simple proof of concept.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:11 PM   #3  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

My guess would be that CTG will be ranked right up there with tapeworm eggs, cocaine, and dinitrophenol in terms of weight loss success.

And I'd be about as wary of purchasing any CTG product as I would of ordering pufferfish sushi from Red Lobster--most of the CTG plant is highly toxic.

To be fair, the study did not use CTG extracts, but only one chemical associated with the CTG plant. Celastrol is also toxic, but still, it will be interesting to see if this compound can live up to all its promise as an anti-cancer drug, immunosuppressant, weight loss facilitator, anti-Alzheimer's drug, anti-aging drug, etc. Goodness knows, I could use some help in several of those areas! Still, desperate as I might be, I ain't buyin' it.
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There will never be a magic pill, because anything that works will have side effects or other costs. If it DOES work well, you can bet it will either have dangerous side effects or be outrageously expensive.

The research is interesting, but even if proven effective, it would take decades to be proven safe. My willingness to be a guinea pig in the name of weight loss has waned over the years.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote