Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Default Oct. Newbies 2013- motivated in May

Hey friends!

We are in May! Seems unbelievable that we have come so far in our journey. Ups and downs, both in emotions and the scale. Thankfully through it all, we have had each other for support. Staying on track takes determination and it is so much better with friends.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

I think this will be a month of trying to just take long, steadying, deep breaths...
Keep on keepin' on!
Liana
Old 05-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #3  

Liana, keep calm and carry on! Mantra for the month!

Beautiful weather here today. Have been doing some spring/ possible overnight guest cleaning. I need about three more weekends, lol. Food has been good. My jeans are feeling better.

Tried a yoga class (in public) for the first time yesterday. Did not love it. Need to try a beginner class in the future.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #4  

There is a yearly yoga-thon in one of the local parks to raise money for some cause (I can't remember off hand) but I always thought downward dog in front of EVERYONE NOT yoga-ing might be a bit embarrassing, lol. Weather has been very sunny here too, although a large range in temperatures from 3C in the wee hours to 20C in the afternoon. It makes it a little hard to dress for the day if you are out for long periods of time. Yesterday I started off with bare feet in little sandals and a studded T under a light silk flyaway jacket, but walked over to my parents' and nearly froze to death, lol. The wind felt like it was blowing over snow in the mountains above us (it probably was)! Dad & I dropped back at my place to pick up my suede jacket instead, before we headed to town, lol.
I did a lovely pedi for myself and both Mom's mani & mine in the afternoon. Her nails were a bit ragged and some had broken and she was in tears because she couldn't really do them herself. I tried to cheer her up and neaten and even everything & painted them with a very pale peach sparkle polish. I think she felt a bit better after. My toes & fingers are bright new-grass green with a gold sparkle wash overtop. Nice and spring-y after muted purples last round.

Liana
Old 05-03-2015, 11:26 PM   #5  

Height: 5'2

Heya October 2013 Newbs,

The clinic is really picking up which is awesome but I have very little down time now. I'm trying to fit in 3 runs per week. Starting my Couch25k all over again.

My husband's father is in the hospital having complications after surgery and his mother is in a home for people with dementia temporarily while his dad is recovering. I have been so busy that I haven't been able to help much with all of this. I feel terrible that he has had to deal with it all on his own. He's too young to have his parents ailing this way. I'm very fortunate that my parents are still somewhat young and don't have any health problems.

I hope you all had a lovely weekend. I can't believe it's May already!

S.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

I like "keep calm and carry on" as a theme for the month.

Slip- lol Yoga in public, was it at a park? Good for you for trying something new.

Liana - your mom and your nails sound beatiful for Spring. Hope that doing them cheered the both of you up. How is your dad doing taking care of your mom? My dad gets his official diagnoses of what is wrong with his head/memory next week. It's all a little scary.

Steph - glad your clinic is doing well but I can only imagine the time it takes. You have a other job as well right? I'm excited for you that you are going to start training for 25km again, you'll get back to it quicker having such a great base and running that before. When are you going to plan your runs?

Hi Hawaii and Lucci

I'm going to eat clean this week starting with strict P4 and then P1. Ran new PB 1:54 for 1/2 marathon yesterday, super happy. Body is a little sore and swollen and finishing TOM to boot.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #7  

Congrats on your PB, Jenny! WTG, getting back to your running Steph!

Sheesh, the family stuff is difficult to deal with, isn't it? I'm just glad we don't have teenagers or some such as well. Who am I kidding, by this time DH & I could have had a grandchild who's a teen. LOL Dad isn't sleeping well, and I know it's because his brain runs through everything (going 100 mph) when he goes to bed - mine does too. He stayed in his jammies this weekend, I think he is a little down right now, but he doesn't talk about it. He has been through some very traumatic events in his early childhood during WWII when he witnessed the execution of a couple slightly older friends by the German soldiers occupying his hometown, so I think he feels that this health business doesn't compare and isn't really anything he should need assistance with.

I was going to go to aquacize this morning but couldn't get all my morning to-do-list checked off in time. Perhaps this afternoon...
Helloooo to the other gals we haven't seen for a little bit!

Liana
Old 05-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #8  

Jenny- public was at a fitness center. At a size 8, I was the heaviest person in the room. Guess that could mean yoga works? Hurray for your PB!!!!

Steph, so happy to hear about the success at the clinic! My heart goes out to your husband and Liana, it is so hard to deal with the stress and heartbreak involved with caring for those who need us.

Liana, where was your dad's hometown? Such a traumatic experience as a child is bound to change your life perspective. I was teaching the kids about the Holocaust today. Hope his Jammie weekend helped his spirit rejuvenate.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 243/217/170?

Height: 5'3

Steph--congrats on your clinic--it must be exciting that it is going so well.

I lost 2lbs this week. Going to Boston Thu-Tue to surprise my mom - it is her 70th bday on Sat and celebrating Mothers day. She has no idea we are coming in. She will be very happy.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #10  

Luccilove- 2 pounds down, way to go! How wonderful that your mom is going to get a fun surprise.

Last edited by Slipfree; 05-04-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235.6/210/160

Height: 5' 2.5"

Hello all, remember me? What a month I had in April, seemed like lots of travel, 2 concerts and a birthday. Needless to say I am back and fat. I am going to do a WI tomorrow, going to post it here and work on getting it off again. Mad at myself for not caring for so long, but that is not going to help my situation now. I have lost my motivation and need to get it back. I did so well for a year and then fell apart. I think I had diet fatigue, I just want to be able to eat like a "normal" person. Lol. I am REALLY missing fruit and want to have a breakfast with toast, fruit and yogurt. It doesn't seem to much to ask. Will I ever be able to have it?
Old 05-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2bskinnyagain View Post
Hello all, remember me? What a month I had in April, seemed like lots of travel, 2 concerts and a birthday. Needless to say I am back and fat. I am going to do a WI tomorrow, going to post it here and work on getting it off again. Mad at myself for not caring for so long, but that is not going to help my situation now. I have lost my motivation and need to get it back. I did so well for a year and then fell apart. I think I had diet fatigue, I just want to be able to eat like a "normal" person. Lol. I am REALLY missing fruit and want to have a breakfast with toast, fruit and yogurt. It doesn't seem to much to ask. Will I ever be able to have it?
You will get your breakfast back again, want2b! It's the perfect P3 & maintenance breaky. You are here & reposting so we know you've got this! Hang on, buckle down, don't debate with yourself. Like NIKE says, "Just Do It." It's the thinking about it that screws us up every time. We are glad you are back. Rebooting is not a failure... not rebooting is the failure, lol.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post

Liana, where was your dad's hometown? Such a traumatic experience as a child is bound to change your life perspective. I was teaching the kids about the Holocaust today. Hope his Jammie weekend helped his spirit rejuvenate.
Dad's hometown is Montebelluna, in northeastern Italy. It is famous for shoes (Geox & Vans come from there - among others).
Dad trained as a shoemaker just after he finished school. He helped make the boots for the Italian climbers in the Himalayas after the war.
He wasn't old enough to be considered dangerous enough to execute during that part of the war, I suppose, but the two friends were teens and were shot as examples to keep the rest of the kids & families from resisting/interfering with the German army.
I read the first public execution by firing squad was Sept 15, 1939... eye-opening site from Uni of Minnesota Center for Holocaust & Genocide Studies. http://www.chgs.umn.edu/museum/respo...Witnesses.html
It is good for the kids you teach to know what has happened in the past - genocide is still going on in our day, tragically.

Anyhow, enough of the upsetting and stressful stuff for now. I think Dad is feeling a bit better today, he wants me to come over and work on his computer and printer, apparently he screwed something up but doesn't know what or how, lol. Sometimes I think he gets frustrated with it and just clicks a bunch of stuff (no internet just programs) if he's not sure how to get what he wants up.
Soooo, Beginner Geek to the rescue....

Liana
Old 05-05-2015, 05:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 235.6/210/160

Height: 5' 2.5"

Good afternoon. Got on the scale this morning, 165.8lbs. I want to get back to 150lbs, so I have some work to do. 15lbs is better then 50lbs. I feel like my motivation is returning so that is good, hope the momentum continues. I have stopped going to the gym to do weights. I have done 3 days of cardio the last 3 days. I am focusing on my running right now, my race is June 20 and I want to be in better shape for it.
Thanks for the kind words Liana. Not easing coming back but it is something I know I need to do.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #15  

Want2b, I missed you! I know exactly what you mean about needing a break from diet life. I felt exactly the same way. But... I want to be fit more than I want the food. I also noticed that my joints ached with the increase in carbs and sugar. Going to stick to Phase 4 until I hit Maine during the last week in June.

Have been adding exercise, since our weather has been wonderful. I have been walking outside. Although my friends that I am walking with are teachers, we do not work together. So we get the understanding when sharing, but not the witching.
Closed Thread