Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 355/see tracker/under 200

Height: 5.5

Default My gym is closing....

Curves is my gym and the one I go to is closing. I am going to be going to a new gym that is more traditional with machines, yoga classes, etc and oh btw, it's co-ed and I am freaking out a bit.

I knew over a month ago that my gym was closing. I have been prepared for it and knew the new gym I was going to. I went and checked it out. It's nice, not as traditional as a 24 hour fitness but it sure as heck isn't Curves.

For those of you who don't know what Curves is it's a specialty gym just for women. It's a circuit where you have hydraulic resistant machines (get out of it what you put into it machines that target different muscles) that are designed specifically for women in between "recovery stations" that are basically mats that are on the floor. On these mats you can run in place, stretch, do jumping jacks, or whatever. You change stations every 30 seconds and there are 24 stations in total. So 12 machines, 12 mats. You go around twice (I do three times) and then after you stretch on what looks like a jungle gym. I have had great results (45 pounds in 3 1/2 months). The only other one is 11 miles away and i'm not driving 22 miles just to work out.

The best thing about it is the ladies there. We exercise and chat. Ok, gab mostly, about our lives, kids, the silly neighbor down the road and before you know it, your workout is over. The encouragement from the ladies is amazing and I am not looking forward to not having that. Ok, I am scared. I am comfortable where I am and don't want to change.

This is more of a vent post than anything else. I am sure everything is going to be fine but the gym closes this coming Friday and the closer that date gets here the more I am starting to realize my comfort zone for healthy exercise is not going to be there. I do have a new membership at the new gym already so its not like i am out in the rain without an umbrella but darn it, I feel like a little kid and wanna throw a sippy cup and throw a fit and maybe they won't close my gym. lol Huffs!
JenDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Oooh. Sorry to hear that. My mom goes to something similar and loves it.

You need to refind the social as that is a big motivator. Perhaps sign up to a few classes?

Or make working out on your own more fun. Investigate some headphones, music and podcasts. These will be in your future!

But find that social....
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

I highly recommend finding a class at the new gym.
I'm antisocial and in a "mode" when I work out, but I see others in spin class Or yoga or weight classes and they talk before and after. You could also join an adult league sport, those have tons of social aspects.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/182/155

Height: 5'8

Argh, so frustrating! I'm sorry. The gym was just a tool to help, you did all the work and you can do it at anytime anywhere. I'm sure you will adjust and start enjoying the new gym
df180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:31 AM   #5  

Hugs! thanks everyone. I know I will be fine. This is just a change that is uncomfortable and is new. It's all good though. Things change and ya just gotta roll with the punches. Go Rock-o!

Last edited by JenDestiny; 05-05-2015 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #6  

Sometimes wonderful things happen when you least expect it. My gym's last day to be open is this Friday. They are selling just about everything and one thing that I was interested in was the very nice doctors scale (not a digital one but one that's with real weights) but I just couldn't afford to buy it. Today I went in and the owner, who has basically taken me on as a teachers pet since I have started losing so much weight, GAVE ME THE SCALE! She also gave me the Body Fat Loss Monitor that they were using to measure our body fat with. I looked it up and a brand new one IS $70.00! Yeah, I cried when she gave it all to me! I am blessed!

After I left I went and signed up at the new club and so I am all set and ready to go. This is a new beginning.