Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #1  

Default Foods with staying power

I prefer an eating style where I can eat a meal and then not worry about being hungry again for hours. The longer between hunger pangs, the better. Low carb is definitely the way to go in this respect, but over the past year I've noticed that not all foods that I would intuitively think would have the same staying power actually do. For example, a serving of beef has less staying power over a serving of chicken for me. The same holds true for cheese -- some cheese has much more staying power than others. Go figure.

I don't count calories. What matters more to me is hours between meals. Being hungry every few hours is annoying to me. Anyway, I've been keeping track of what I eat, when, and the hours that particular dish kept me hunger-free. It's been enlightening. With all factors being equal -- carbs, fat, protein, and calories -- some foods definitely keep hunger at bay much longer than others.

My guess is that everyone's list of hunger-busting foods will be different. Knowing what that list is, *for you specifically*, would be very good to know, I would think.

Anyway, I guess what I'm suggesting is that if you're keeping a food journal, noting hours between hunger pangs is helpful. I never thought to do it myself until recently and I've learned a lot! I had hunches before but actually writing down the hours was enlightening.

Finding your hunger-busting foods will only work, btw, if you only eat when you're actually hungry and not because it's "time" to eat or eating for any other reason.

Two of the highest hunger-busting foods for me are extra sharp cheddar cheese and devilled eggs.
earthecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #2  

Height: 6-1.5

Mayo. Or the combination of oil and eggs does it for me. Mayo packets in the purse are quick "lunches" when I have to skip a meal for some reason.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 184.2 /ticker / 149

Height: 5'4.5"

Coconut butter is one that I go to often for this very reason. It keeps me feeling full AND gives me crazy energy. Thought I was the only one who gets annoyed by having to focus on hunger pangs.

I'm in the car a lot running kids and errands and business related meetings. I don't know why but I really hate having to stop to think about food or to eat something. I followed Rosedale plan before and loved that I could go many hours after breakfast without thinking about food. I lost a ton of weight and felt amazing.
Astro Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #4  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Im going to try Konjac flour. You can drink it or cook with it for a thickening agent. Its low carb. Supposed to help fill you up and help lower blood sugar and clean out your innards. Gonna give it a try.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #5  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Eggs and coconut oil. Not together. Well, cooked together, I guess...

I put coconut oil in my coffee and eat eggs when I need a snack or something to fill me up for long periods of time.
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote