Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #1  

Default Protein shakes

Any recommendations for yummy protein powder? I tried the Syntrax Nectar, and it's drinkable, but if there's something better out there I'd love to know. We decided to go with the RNY unless they can't, then it'll be the sleeve. I have it scheduled June 23, and I want to be prepared with something I can drink instead of being stuck when it's necessary and then I can't force it down. I live in a small town with limited options so I tend to purchase everything online, so being prepared is necessary.
kjnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I (used to) like Isoflex. But it costs $$.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:40 AM   #3  
Releasing the inner hiker

Check out Nashua Nutrition in NH. They sell samples of their protein powders, so you are not obligated to buy a whole container. Also, some people find their tastes change post op, so what you might like now, may not appeal to you post op.

Finally, in answer to your question, my top three brands are Unjury, Chike, and Syntrax.

Last edited by Zeitgeist; 04-26-2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Odd hyperlinking
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 289/264/150

Height: 5'7"

Can you explain a bit more what you mean when you say some people's tastes change after surgery?
brseay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #5  
Releasing the inner hiker

For some folks, foods they enjoyed preop are no longer as enjoyable. This seems to happen a lot with foods becoming too sweet. It doesn't happen to everyone, but a lot of people do complain they can no longer stand the tastes of some foods they enjoyed before surgery.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Jen's right..Some people's taste may change but this does not happen to everyone. Some may not have the desire for sweets a few months out of surgery but then that desire may come back later on. Everyone is different.

Finding a good protein drink/shake/powder is hard, I purchased not long ago Syntrax Nectar Vanilla... bought it on Amazon because the reviews were crazy good. I personally did not like it because of the artificial sweetener after taste, it was pretty gross imho. Can't even hide it in a smoothie.

I'm wondering if they have a tasteless one..
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #7  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Unjury has a sample pack that includes packets of 6 of their flavors so you can sample each one befrore you commit to ordering a large amount.
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #8  
GmaTo8

After trying several brands, my favorite is chocolate Premium Protein Shakes sold at Sam's.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

djay I may try that sample pack. TY

Jane I think thats the kind I used to get but vanilla (in cans) and it was pretty good.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #10  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Premier Protein from Sam's is pretty good, I used that when I was on liquids. I never could find a vanilla shake I liked much, but the Chike coffee ones are really good.

Now, post-op, I drink the Core Power protein shakes when I need to supplement. They are a bit higher in carbs than my pre-op diet allowed, but they don't have any artificial sweeteners (which give me massive headaches and I avoid if at all possible.) Fair Life milk is a lifesaver for me, twice the protein and half the carbs of regular milk. I drink it daily.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 267/261/145

Height: 5'2

Default Pure Protein

[QUOTE=kjnrose;5157319]Any recommendations for yummy protein powder? I tried the Syntrax Nectar, and it's drinkable, but if there's something better out there I'd love to know. We decided to go with the RNY unless they can't, then it'll be the sleeve. I have it scheduled June 23, and I want to be prepared with something I can drink instead of being stuck when it's necessary and then I can't force it down. I live in a small town with limited options so I tend to purchase everything online, so being prepared i
Kate53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 267/261/145

Height: 5'2

Default Pure Protein

I stick with the vanilla and add fruit, flavorings or strong coffee. Can be mixed with water or sugar free juices. 23 grams of protein, low fat and carbs and tastes pretty decent. Price is right too.
Kate53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/195/145

I keep seeing Hemp Protein powder around and the nutritional value is out of this world. Between 40-50 grams per serving!
ChocolateLover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:55 AM   #14  

Drink two high protein, low carb shakes a day with fiber and omega-3s added. Boost your shake with veggies or fruit. Have three other meals (snacks) a day. Keep your calorie intake to about 500 less per day than your breakeven calorie level and you’ll lose one pound of fat a week. It’s a very liveable plan that’s backed up by clinical research (see below). Adjust your carb intake to lose weight faster or slower. Be sure to exercise at least three times a week and watch the weight magically fall off without radical changes in your diet.
Dr. Ahmad Momani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:32 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Protein shakes post-surgery made me cry every time I had to drink one. I hate milk, milkshakes, all thicker drinks and anything along the "shake" texture. I actually ended up being moved onto soft foods early because I just stopped eating due to how much I hated them. So I've tried like every protein drink out there...

I found the Isopure pre-mixed drinks are really good. They have 40 grams of protein and around 160 calories. They don't have the same filling effect that the thicker shakes have. I can drink a whole bottle, and it feels like drinking water. But post-surgery, I wasn't hungry anyways, so it was easy to handle that.

For the record, the apple-melon, passion fruit and black tea are my favorite. They are a little pricy ($4/bottle on average) but if you struggle with the shakes, they are a good option.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote