Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-14-2015, 01:30 AM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default To Lose More Weight....Skip the Weights?

Hey guys! Right now my work is having a Biggest Loser Contest. If my team of three loses 15% or more body weight by May 18th, we each get $500 - woot woot!

I'm very excited about this - not only a great opportunity/more motivation to exercise, but a way to pay my stinky bills!!! So, my sole goal in the next month is to lose as much weight as possible. I've incorporated lifting in my routine two times a week, but I was wondering if that was necessary to help with pure weight loss? Perhaps I should temporarily cut out the lifting and add more cardio?

Thoughts?

-Daniela
Daniela Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

If you just want to lose weight and are competing short-term then cardio all the way.

Skip the weights and do cardio instead.

But once you have won the contest, do weights again. They help preserve/build muscle which over the long haul makes you look better, makes you stronger and boosts your metabolism (i.e. makes it easier to lose weight and keep the weight off).

Cardio will burn fat and muscle which will maximize weight loss.

Last edited by IanG; 04-14-2015 at 10:45 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

^ Agreed, but if you have been lifting for a while, I would still do a short maintenance strength routine once a week just so it's not as difficult to get back into it. I've found if I do anything less than once a week, I have to start lowering the weights I'm lifting, which I assume means I'm losing muscle mass. Might as well keep what you already have!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #4  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Height: 5'5"

I would stick with very light cardio, like walking 3-4 miles a day - this way you won’t build muscle or cause any water retention.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:09 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

Very interesting... Thank you for the feedback! (Also, sorry for not responding sooner- been very busy with life lately!)

-Daniela
Daniela Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote