Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 03:27 PM   #1  

Default Time to stop reading and join in!!

I've been reading this thread for sometime and figure it's time to join in.

My Dr. recently pushed me into a weight "management" group through the medical clinic I belong to. I am about 110 pounds overweight and have numerous health problems. It seems like everytime I see him he is putting me on some new medication for something. It's time to stop!! I'm so ready for this!!

The group I go to works on the exchange plan. I'm supposed to get 50% of my calories from carbs, 30% from fat & 20% from protein. This is so weird to me though. I tried Atkins some time ago, did ok for a couple of weeks but I am not much of a meat eater and couldn't stand to eat another piece. I really believe in low carb though. I know it's not for everybody, but for a certain type of person with certain medical conditions, it is what we need. I am most certainly insulin resistant (my Dr even has me on glucophage for it) and am a poster child for who should be on low carb. I guess I'm glad because I don't want to eat low carb but I just feel like it's not right for me. I enter my food into fitday and cringe when I see how many carbs I'm eating. Ok, I'm babbling now.

So....anybody else working on an exchange plan? I get 6 starch, 6 protein, 3 fruit, 3 veggies, 2 milk & 2 fat. It's supposed to work out to 1400 calories a day. So far I've lost 8 pounds (in 3 weeks) which I guess is pretty good but let's face it, it's mostly water.

Well, I guess I'll go get myself in the profile now.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:46 PM   #2  
Crazy Canuck

Congrats on embarking on your new healthy lifestyle and coming out of lurkdom to join us. A loss of 8lbs in 3 weeks is significant and while some of that is water, probably about half of it is actual weight loss.

I know that choosing a weight-loss plan is difficult and I think most of us tried out several before we found the one that we're comfortable with and seems to be the right fit. I stick with Weight Watchers because I find it to be well-balanced and a program I can do for life. However, I did experience success with Atkins also, especially in terms of losing more in a faster time.

With so much in the media right now about cutting down carbs, I can see where you'd be leery about a rather high-carb diet, but I'm sure your Dr. is advocating "good carbs" in the way of fruits, veggies and whole grains. If that's what you're eating, then I wouldn't worry about your diet consisting of 50% carbs.

Let us know how you progress and welcome to the club!
Old 02-08-2004, 06:20 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

jujubee.. at this point ANY weight loss is to be applauded!!! give yourself some credit,darlin!!!!

some dieticians/diabetes counselors recommend whole grain carbs and veggies for folks in your situation. all i can say is: whatever works!!! if your blood sugar stays controlled and you feel well and you're losing, what more can you ask for????

so now.. the big question is: what are you doing for exercise???

aren't you sorry you've come out of lurkdom?????

glad to meet you.. hang out.. ask lots of questions.. it'll be fun!!!!
Old 02-08-2004, 08:18 PM   #4  

Default Ahhhh yes, exercise...........

I did start exercising during my 2nd week. I did walking, went to the gym & rode my bicycle. Somewhere along the line I really wrenched my knee and I think I did a little nerve damage as I have terrible pain up the back of my leg into my booty. I'm ashamed to admit I haven't done it since. I should start back slowly but have to find something that won't aggravate this pain.

I guess if I was doing the whole grain carbs I would feel better about it. Unfortunately I'm not. My carbs consist almost completely of bread (although most of it is whole wheat). I've even counted a few Pepsi's as a "starch". Very bad, I know. Quitting Pepsi will by far be the most difficult thing for me. I have cut down drastically but have to deal with the fact that anything I do is going to have to allow for an occasional Pepsi.

I guess you all are right. As long as I'm losing, this must be working!!

Would still love to find some fellow exchange plan users.......
Old 02-08-2004, 08:32 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Welcome to our group!!! Glad you feel comfy enough to post now.

I was on exchanges a few years back. I still follow it, somewhat loosely.

Giving up soda was the hardest--so hard that I still have one occasionally. Good luck w/that--Pepsi is soooo much better than Coke, it'll be hard. My friend's dad drank almost a 2 liter of Pepsi every day for 20 years. He switched to unsweetened iced tea w/lemon. Make sure if you switch off that it's to something w/caffeine, or you'll wish you had a gun.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:40 PM   #6  

I've been taking caffeine pills to counteract the withdrawls I've been going through. Man those are killer!!
Pepsi is sooooo much better than Coke. I'm sure I far exceeded the amount your friends dad drank on a daily basis. For years that was my ONLY liquid. I would go through a 2 liter bottle at home and usually a couple of extra large fountain sodas on the go and at work.
I'm glad to see somebody else is able to work one in occasionally. For me, I'm trying to keep myself from getting thirst by drinking ALOT of water. If I'm not thirsty, I don't crave it! But if I have an occasional slice of pizza or something, man is it good!!! I guess like all good things, moderation is the key!
Old 02-08-2004, 10:19 PM   #7  

Welcome and congrats on delurking.

If you are not finding it difficult to stick to your program and you are loosing weight, I see no reason to change. Don't be persuaded by the hype ... there's lots of ways to lose weight!!
Old 02-08-2004, 11:49 PM   #8  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Welcome, welcome, welcome...and thanks for delurking!!!! It is somewhat freeing, isn't it????

Well....I firmally believe that what ever eating plan, excercise plan you choose, you need to make them work for you!!! Or, inevidably (sp?) it will not work at all. Mind you, it has taken me three different diet plans in 1 year, and loosing, regaining, loosing and regaining the same 10 pounds for me to finally GET IT!!!!! Finally, I am making something work for me. Again, welcome!
Closed Thread