Old 03-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #1  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Atkins '72

Hi everyone... I used to post here quite a bit, but it's been awhile... Anyway a little bit over a week ago I decided to dust off my old original first edition hardcover of Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution that I bought off of Amazon a few years ago (I love old vintage books...) and started "Atkins '72" last Monday 3/16... I followed level 1 by the book and my ketostix were showing positive results by Tuesday evening and were purple by Thursday...the first week was kind of tough, but I managed... and I'm down 8.6lbs in one week!

The last part is what really amazes me, since I've been "dieting" for the last several months and losing nicely... So I wasn't expecting anything so dramatic... definitely a pleasant surprise.

I moved on to level 2 this week by just adding some cottage cheese... 4oz provides and additional 5g of carbs and so far so good...I'll keep you posted...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Nice...congrats on your progress.....
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #3  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSatinPumpkin View Post
Nice...congrats on your progress.....
Thanks! So today is 2 weeks and it looks like I'm hovering right around 170 on the scale, so that's just a about a 12lb loss in that time... Which is pretty freakin amazing as far as I'm concerned... Especially since I've been trying to lose weight since last May... Lost about 20lbs by late Oct, than did a diabetes prevention program that was a low fat program and lost about 20lbs doing that, but it was tough! But than I decided that I really want to give LCHF another shot, especially since I enjoy eating that way... And what a pleasant surprise!

Now I've just got to remain determined to stick with it, so the keto adaptation is complete...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 03-30-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #4  
Sherry, Senior Member

S/C/G: 194/172/158

Height: 5'-7

What is Atkins 72?
skelley331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelley331 View Post
What is Atkins 72?
Atkins 72 is Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution. The original book.

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

Thanks JerseyGyrl... It's good to see you still posting here...and it looks like you are still doing well with Atkins which is great to see... And yes, "Atkins '72" is from the original book which was published in 1972... and after re-reading it I'm still pretty amazed by how it still holds up after all these years... for me it's easy to follow and I like the flexibility of deciding what carbs I'll add back in the 5 to 8g increments with each level...
Old 03-31-2015, 08:55 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Thanks JerseyGyrl... It's good to see you still posting here...and it looks like you are still doing well with Atkins which is great to see
Thanks TripSwitch. I'll be celebrating 11 years on Atkins April 13
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:55 PM   #8  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Thanks TripSwitch. I'll be celebrating 11 years on Atkins April 13
Congrats on your upcoming 11 years... that's great... It's funny, when I think about the last 11 years I'm pretty sure I've been on every "diet" known to man... I've done Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Medifast... I've been a vegetarian, a vegan, and even done raw vegan... the "Master Cleanse" and juice fasting... counting calories, counting "points", low fat... etc., etc., etc.... and I could go on and on... so you get the picture I'm sure... And of course I've been putting on and taking off what now had become upwards of a 100lbs since my 20's... Really thinking that all of this was just perfectly "normal"... well, I think I've finally had enough... I just want to lose the weight this time and settle into a way of eating that is "doable" and to me Atkins is very "doable" and I think a good place to start...
Old 04-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #9  
Sherry, Senior Member

I'm in the same boat, did WW, atkins, then back to WW and then spent thousands of dollars on Metabolic Research Center and got down to 155 but once I hit maintenance they tell you to stay at 1200-1300 calories and boom it's all back on. So now I'm back to atkins because yes it's doable and I love meat, bacon, etc. So I'm hoping to get going on this. I haven't been able to do the zero carbs in the first week so I'm doing the 20 net carbs, but I'm wondering when your body goes it fat burn mode does anyone know?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #10  
Heading Downtown...

Hi skelley, the first week with just 2 small salads a day (1 cup each with lunch and dinner) was a bit tough, especially because I was probably eating too much protein (8oz or 9oz portions) and probably not enough fat with my meals... I actually prefer not to eat a lot of meat, so I stick to chicken and mostly fish. I actually think the recommendations of the newer plans of Atkins 20 & 40 of sticking to 6oz portions of protein at meals make sense for weight loss, so that's what I'm trying to do now...

And as far as ketosis... I use the ketostix and I was positive for ketones by late into the second day and have been since.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #11  
Sherry, Senior Member

Quote:
Hi skelley, the first week with just 2 small salads a day (1 cup each with lunch and dinner) was a bit tough, especially because I was probably eating too much protein (8oz or 9oz portions) and probably not enough fat with my meals... I actually prefer not to eat a lot of meat, so I stick to chicken and mostly fish. I actually think the recommendations of the newer plans of Atkins 20 & 40 of sticking to 6oz portions of protein at meals make sense for weight loss, so that's what I'm trying to do now...

And as far as ketosis... I use the ketostix and I was positive for ketones by late into the second day and have been since.
thanks tripswitch:
I'm struggling for some reason, I'm doing the shake in the am because I'm not a big breakfast person, then lunch I do a low carb bacon burger wrapped in lettuce with a little bit of mayo only, then supper I do a mix of beef, chicken, pork. I started Monday and I've only lost 1 lb so far, I don't drink diet drinks, I drink a lot of water, and I'm usually around 15-20 net carbs. I feel bloated a lot. Do I need to be watching my calories also? I like atkings because you aren't suppose to have to watch calories. I need to buy some ketostix I had some but used them all. I get so discouraged because I'm wondering if my metabolism is just plain screwed up. In order to lose weight when counting calories I had to stay at around 1000 a day or I would gain. Carbs are my worst enemy and chocolate.
Just frustrated.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:53 PM   #12  
Heading Downtown...

Hey skelly... I hear ya... weight loss can definitely be frustrating... I'm just curious are you using one of the Atkins books? For me the key to Atkins is not only the low carb, but not too much protein and high fat... So I do weigh and measure what I'm eating right now and I track it with MFP so not only can I count carbs, but I can make sure I'm not eating too much protein and that I am eating enough fat. I have been trying to limit my protein portions to 6oz for lunch and dinner and may need to drop that down to 4 or 5oz depending on how my weight loss continues.... and I round out my meals with 2 cups of salad greens and 1 cup of cooked veggies... and I don't go too crazy with the fat... 1 to 2 tbsp of full fat dressing on my salads, 1tsp of butter on my veggies... Maybe 1tbsp of EVOO during the day... and that seems to be doing the trick of keeping me in ketosis... which makes me less hungry and makes it easier for me stay in a calorie deficit each day and ultimately lose the weight...

Also losing the last 15 to 20lbs is hard... So losing 1lb a week or less for those last pounds is probably pretty realistic... I just tell myself I've come this far and my goal is within sight and I will get there... Not as fast as I would like of course, but I WILL GET THERE!
Old 04-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #13  
Sherry, Senior Member

Quote:
Hey skelly... I hear ya... weight loss can definitely be frustrating... I'm just curious are you using one of the Atkins books? For me the key to Atkins is not only the low carb, but not too much protein and high fat... So I do weigh and measure what I'm eating right now and I track it with MFP so not only can I count carbs, but I can make sure I'm not eating too much protein and that I am eating enough fat. I have been trying to limit my protein portions to 6oz for lunch and dinner and may need to drop that down to 4 or 5oz depending on how my weight loss continues.... and I round out my meals with 2 cups of salad greens and 1 cup of cooked veggies... and I don't go too crazy with the fat... 1 to 2 tbsp of full fat dressing on my salads, 1tsp of butter on my veggies... Maybe 1tbsp of EVOO during the day... and that seems to be doing the trick of keeping me in ketosis... which makes me less hungry and makes it easier for me stay in a calorie deficit each day and ultimately lose the weight...

Also losing the last 15 to 20lbs is hard... So losing 1lb a week or less for those last pounds is probably pretty realistic... I just tell myself I've come this far and my goal is within sight and I will get there... Not as fast as I would like of course, but I WILL GET THERE!
I use the MFP app and just track everything it eat, I've been staying around 20 net carbs, but I think I'm eating too much fat/protein, I have the two latest atkins books, I'm 59 yrs young and pretty active, I drink a lot of water. for lunch I usually do a low carb burger or chicken, don't care for tuna, and I sometimes get a small side salad and dinner I eat my veggies and again beef or chicken. I also have the atkins app but it's not very friendly when looking up foods but I love MFP. I need to get my books back out. I weigh every Saturday so I'm hoping for at least a 2 lbs loss.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #14  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelley331 View Post
I use the MFP app and just track everything it eat, I've been staying around 20 net carbs, but I think I'm eating too much fat/protein, I have the two latest atkins books, I'm 59 yrs young and pretty active, I drink a lot of water. for lunch I usually do a low carb burger or chicken, don't care for tuna, and I sometimes get a small side salad and dinner I eat my veggies and again beef or chicken. I also have the atkins app but it's not very friendly when looking up foods but I love MFP. I need to get my books back out. I weigh every Saturday so I'm hoping for at least a 2 lbs loss.
I use MFP too... I set my macro's to 5% carbs/ 30% protein/ 65% fat and the calories at 1200 as a sort of "baseline"... since I know that maintenance calories are around 2000 or so for me and when I try to go lower than 1200 I get too hungry even on a ketogenic diet like Atkins... I don't worry about going over 1200 and in fact there were days in the first week that I was eating between 1500 and 1700 calories a day, but once I went into ketosis that really put my appetite in check... and I was definitely eating too much protein... now I'm really trying to stick to the "keto" ratios of around 5%/30%/65% and see how I do... and I definitely want to reduce my protein portions to 6oz or less per meal...

I"ve lost about 14lbs so far in just under 3 weeks now... but not only have been counting carbs, I have been counting calories too and for me that mean weighing and measuring everything I eat and not eating out... I know this is not most people's idea of "Atkins" but it's what I feel I need to do right now to lose weight... AND I AM DETERMINED to lose the rest of this weight now...
Old 04-04-2015, 04:31 PM   #15  
Sherry, Senior Member

I weighed this morning and I'm down 3.4 lbs yay!! I had a really good week. I'm slightly in ketos so hoping with my second week it will get better.

Tripswitch, I set my macros on MFP also to 5%carbs/30%protein/65%fat and it seems to be working for me, thank you for sharing. I'm excited to finally see some movement in the scale and in my clothes. I'm not craving carbs either as much. One day at a time is how I'm going forward.

Hope everyone has a good easter. I'm planning on staying true to atkins.

HAPPY EASTER!

Last edited by skelley331; 04-04-2015 at 04:31 PM.