Old 03-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #105

Good morning ladies. We have transitioned into some better weather temps wise, but we are going to be raining pretty much all week. I am ok with that as long as the temps are warmer.

We went to lunch and enjoyed it yesterday, came home and vegged for the rest of the afternoon. Kelly canceled as she said she thought she had the flu so we went alone. Thomas leaves for Paris on Thursday so we are going over on Wednesday to see him before he leaves. I am so nervous about him going without his parents. He is a good kid, it is just the rest of the world I don't trust. All I can do is pray for his safety.

Susan: I enjoy the movies being made with seniors. They are much funnier that the crap they put out. I hate all the creepy satanic tv shows on tv at the moment. This world sure has changed and not for the better.

Jean: Hope your weather continues to improve and we can finally move into spring. Busy week for me, Wednesday go see Thomas after Jack gets home from work, Thursday dr apt about the fluid thing and Friday Jack is taking off to go and get my new ID card at the base and we are going to go ahead and grocery shop at the commissary.

You all have a great week. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 03-09-2015 at 01:44 PM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN MARCH MAGNOLIAS

I feel great ~ slept through the night without waking up at all for the 3rd night in a row. I like it for it is sometimes hard to get back to sleep after I wake up in the middle of a sleep. I surprised myself and put on a pair of pants I haven’t been able to get into for some time so I am shrinking for they fit.

Not much going on here this day in the ♥-Land. AH but there is plenty to keep me busy in sorting “stuff.” What to keep and what to sell or give away takes up some time.

The dogs are at the groomer and Cecil is being a complete pest. He likes his dogs and truly misses them when they are gone so he takes it out on me.

DONNA FAYE Have fun shopping. I hope Thomas gathers up a lot of good memories on that trip. Kids do grow so fast now days it seems quicker than they used to.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
[/font][/color][/size]

Last edited by Maggie; 03-09-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon! It's sunny and warmer in my corner of the world, but the wind is still cold. We were $30 short on the money side this morning - more receipts than money. Went through the checks twice to double check that part. Come to find out, the gal running the adding machine read a check amount as $80 and it was scribbled over $50 which the secretary found when she ran the tape the third time. My part came out right the first time! The gift shop balanced on my first try so I was a happy camper. Had checks to write and take back to the hospital after lunch, and ran a couple other errands. Bob has practice so won't be home until later.

"Gma," I know what you mean about worrying about Thomas on his trip. How long will he be gone? It can be a scary world out there, but he will be fine. I sure hope you get a good report from your doctor on Thursday!

Maggie, on shrinking! I woke up a couple times last night and don't know why. I did go right back to sleep though. I agree about kids growing up too fast! I just can't believe how fast the grandchildren change when we don't see them for a few weeks.

I need to put my gift shop stuff away for another week, and maybe watch a little TV before it's time to think about something for supper. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 03-09-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:20 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all. Going to be rainy but warming right up today and all through next week so I turned off the furnace. We shall see how that goes as the temps are supposed to stay up.

I have been doing chair exercises in the evening to oldies music and then in the mornings doing them with the bands. I would like to get out some and walk, but it may have to be just walking in stores for now with all this rain. The most I would do is walk around the building anyway as I won't venture far from home anymore with crime as it is. There is no reason to put yourself in possible harm. I couldn't run away if someone tried something so am best just to walk around our building a few times and then when I shop walk around for a good half an hour.

Ok, I am scratching creamed spinach off my list. I had it last night and it is disgusting. Guess I will have to eat raw spinach in salads. The stuff I made was frozen and tasted like grass clippings. I am working on using full plate to help me eat more veg but I don't go shopping until Thurs and Friday so have to use what I have in the freezer until I can get fresh stuff. I like spinach dip but that creamed spinach stuff was just awful.

Maggie: It is always nice to get into something you couldn't wear before. It seems like just yesterday Thomas was a toddler. He is going to be a sophomore in high school in the fall. I sure will miss him when he goes to college. He wants to go to Yale.

Jean: I believe he will be gone from Thursday through the following week, which is spring break here. He goes to Athens, Florence and Rome this trip.
I am going on Thursday to get my nails done after my dr apt and have decided it is time to force spring so am going to get my toenails painted and wear sandals! It is supposed to be near 70. I don't know if I ever told you but Kelly and Tom and Thomas loved your lasagna recipe. She said it was the best she has ever had.

Everyone have a great day. Gotta go put the laundry in the dryer. Faye
Old 03-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon! Another nice sunny day here in my neighborhood. There was no wind this morning but I noticed the neighbor's flag is blowing now. The lake is beginning to look "soupy" and the stay off warning has been issued for the state. Three men fell through the ice and drowned while fishing in a farm pond (not here) over the weekend. I had my nails done this morning, renewed a library book, and dropped off a check at the hospital. Another invoice was waiting for me so will probably go back tomorrow sometime. I have a perm at 8:00, then lunch bunch.

"Gma," wish we had some rain to wash the dirty streets and snow that's left. We need the moisture too. Spinach dip or fresh spinach in salads is the only way I eat spinach. When I was a kid my "step-grandma" made me eat canned spinach and I still remember the smell and texture. Gross! Glad Kelly and family liked the lasagna. As with everything I cook, nothing ever turns out the same way twice.

Guess I will read my book and get it finished. Enjoy the rest of a terrific Tuesday!

Last edited by Jean; 03-10-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #6  

Good morning to you girls. We did alright with the furnace off last night so hopefully it is the last of it for several months. We have 60+ temps for the next 10 days and I am all for that.

Jack came downstairs at 3:45 this morning to say the new calendar for cruising dates was up. So, he sat her at the PC and we are now officially booked for our cruise in Sept of 2016. We saved $1600 because they dropped the price $200 then have a sale buy one get 50% off second person. We got a grand suite this time, which is much more room. It has a full sized couch and two comfy chairs and it cost us just a bit more than our room last year because of the sale. So all in all we got a great deal and a bigger room. We are going back to Jamaica and Mexico, but that is ok with us. We are going to go back to the two resorts we went to in the last three years. At least the one I won't be having to pee all the time because of undetected diabetes like I was the last time we were there. I am going to discuss with my dr about getting open toed compression socks to try and not have leg swelling like last year too.

We are going to Thomas's this afternoon so we can tell him goodbye before he leaves for Europe tomorrow. Let the worry begin....

Jean: I just bought the full plate diet book and I sure hope it will help me eat more veggies. I plan on stocking up on them and fruits tomorrow and Friday. Have you read all the R D Robb books yet?

Everyone have a great day. Faye
Old 03-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

☺♫

Will doesn’t feel 100% today and I sure hope he isn’t coming down with the flu. I don’t want to get what he has.

I need to get all my veggies all cut up and in bags to eat one a day. I like to cut up enough for a weeks worth and with eating one bag in the afternoon plus a nice tossed salad at dinner I get my raw veggies eaten.

It is so neat that the glass guy id such a good job of making those small chips in the wind shield for you can’t even see where they were now. We certainly didn’t want them to develop into broken streaks and have to replace the wind shield for they are quite spendy. Well ~ maybe insurance would cover it since we have “glass” on the policy but since we could fix the pits we didn’t turn it in to the insurance co.

The Can Cooker folks now sell a nice multi-fuel cook top (one burner) portable item that can use 8oz butane or 16 oz propane bottle. Seth McGinn's Multi-Fuel Portable Cooktop provides ultra-quiet operation in a compact design. It's perfect for any outdoors use including camping, hunting, fishing, and tailgating. Multi-Fuel has an electronic ignition system, so you don't need matches or batteries to light it. It includes a convenient carry/storage case so its always ready to go. I have one on order for they are on sale now so I get it at a reduced price. This will make it so neat to be able to use the Can Cooker when we park the MH where there aren’t any electricity hookups.

DONNA FAYE Sounds like a great deal you got on your cruise accommodations. Nice that you could book them so far in advance.

JEAN I hope your perm turns out the way you like it.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-11-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon! It's another sunny day in my neighborhood and the snow is melting fast. The wind is blowing so it's still jacket weather. I got my perm this morning - I was early and found a picture in a hair style book like I wanted the back to look and she finally did what I asked. Had just enough time to come home and change clothes then head out for lunch bunch. Dropped a check off at the hospital on my way home and now just enjoying peace and quiet. The deck doors are open but the breeze is cool coming in.

"Gma," is Jack always up that early? I know you have been anxiously waiting for the cruise calendar to appear. What a terrific savings for you! I hope Thomas has a wonderful time on his trip!

Maggie, I hope Will feels better, and you don't catch whatever he has. It sounds like the new cook top will be a nice addition to the motor home.

Guess I should be thinking about doing something constructive before Bob gets home. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 03-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #9  

Good morning to you all. I have a dr apt I have to leave for in about 20 minutes but wanted to post first.

We took Thomas's Easter card over to him yesterday afternoon and told him goodbye. I swear I think he has grown a couple more inches. He is way past me now and working towards being as tall as his granddad. I would imagine he is getting near 6 foot and skinny as a rail. He is such a sweety and I told him to email his mom a couple times and let her know he is ok. She called me yesterday and said there was no chance he would do that.

After my dr appointment today I am going to go and get my nails and toes done and buy a bunch of fruits and veggies at WM. I am going to get as much as I can then tomorrow I will check out what the commissary has so I know from then on what to buy at WM and what I can get at the commissary. We want to be at the ID office at 8 so it will be another early morning.

I got the last of my hangers yesterday and my two racks, which Jack can put together and put upstairs this weekend since we don't have to shop. I am supposed to get my full plate diet book today and then the beach bag I ordered tomorrow. I will then be done with deliveries for a little while at least.

Jean: Jack gets up during the week at 5 AM but he got up at 4 to go to the bathroom and checked to see if the calendar was up and it was so he came downstairs so he could book it. He got the room he wanted so all is well for about 5 minutes. I did order a bottle of champagne for sail away day since they had the kind I like available on the ship. We are mid 50's right now but should get up to mid 60's today though we are supposed to get more rain so it is gloomy.

Maggie: If we just go in and they repair the windshield it costs us nothing, but if we have to have it replaced we would have to pay the whole amount because we care a deductible that is higher than the cost of a new windshield. We have had it repaired repeatedly because between interstate driving all the time and the number of semis going out to the plant, we have had stones chip it several times. We only had the car two weeks and a semi threw up a stone and chipped it. They do have a limit size wise of what they will repair and what has to be replaced though. Hope Will feels better soon.

Have a great day everyone! Faye
Old 03-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #10  

Good Morning! The sun is shining, 20 mph winds, and the thermometer says it's 48 degrees outside. My furnace just came on for a few minutes. I've been putzing in the kitchen this morning. I need to rearrange a food cupboard so what I use most is a shelf lower, maybe put canisters in a lower cupboard. I know there are outdated spices in the rack that need to be pitched, and probably some other stuff too. It's leftovers for lunch today.

"Gma," I sure hope you got a good report from the doctor this morning! We've had rock chips repaired and always seem to end up replacing the windshield. On my car, the chip spread right away before it could be fixed. The windshield cost was less than our deductible, so we paid for it. Bob has one now; it's been fixed but has started to spread. It seems there is always something to be replaced or fixed.

Bob will be home for lunch soon so need to clear folded laundry off the table. Enjoy the rest of a terrific Thursday!
Old 03-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday & a Very Nice Warml Day

☺♫

It is a beautiful day in the high 70˚ range and what a day! Will feels a lot better today but still not back to exact but will get there probably tomorrow.

Right now I am having my afternoon snack of raw cut up veggies. It is a good thing that I have always loved raw veggies. For dinner the plan is steak and the fixins that go with it.

Not much out of the ordinary going on here this beautiful day.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #12  

Good morning ladies. It is around 60 but going to rain pretty hard all day today. We are heading out in about half an hour or so to go to the base so I can get a new ID card then do commissary shopping.

I got my full plate book yesterday and though I don't agree with some of it as I feel the book tends to want you to eat close to vegetarian, I do like the information on fiber content of things. I shopped yesterday at WM and bought almost $100 worth of stuff. I got oranges, raspberries, pineapple, blackberries, pea pods, kale, brussel sprouts, salad mix and on and on besides getting canned beans and spinach dip and hummus along with whole wheat tortillas. They didn't have pita bread so I opted for the tortillas for the hummus. Breakfast was 14 gr including my soluble fiber that I drink so I am on my way!! Yes, I want it to lose weight, but my big thing is getting my blood sugar consistently under control so I can get off medication.

I may have to go back into the gyn as I have had continually spotting/bleeding for weeks now. I am trying to hold off to see if losing weight will right my system, but I am in pain a lot and don't want to take pain meds too much. I have a regular dr apt the 25th so I will talk to her.

I got a great report from my surgeon. He says I am not filling back up with fluid. I have another apt in 3 weeks than if everything is ok I figure he will release me. I sure hope so. I am tired of going to the dr. Good thing I have great insurance.

Maggie: I haven't decided about out dinner for tonight. I will use something we get at the commissary I guess.

Jean: As soon as we get the shelving units I plan to shift my spices to shoe type plastic boxes and put them in the pantry area. I have them in a side cabinet in the kitchen and it is chock full and everything falls out.

Well gals, have a great day. Faye
Old 03-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #13  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it's another nice day in my neighborhood. I have the washer washing and picked up the kitchen. Next I need to make a grocery list. The store with the gas savings is having a meat sale today with 10 cents off a gallon for every $10 worth of meat purchased. At today's prices it won't take long to hit $10! I think there is a $100 limit - need to look at the ad again. Gas has come down a few cents this week. Iowa just added a 10 cent gas tax but the stations all went up 15 and 20 cents. People are really squawking! We have a retirement coffee for a highway patrolman this afternoon. He and his wife live up the street from us; he is the reason Beth went into law enforcement in college. He also gave Jason a speeding ticket on prom night!

Maggie, I'm impatiently waiting for you to share the 70 degree temperatures!

"Gma," how often do you have to renew your ID? It seems like you just did that but time does fly. Do you find pita bread in with regular bread? I have looked for it and there is never anyone around to ask where they hid it. Hope the fluid status remains as is, sorry about the pain of the other though. I'm glad to see spices are available in the smaller containers when it's something I rarely use.

I need to get busy and check my freezer, then make my list. Hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday!
Old 03-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking

☺♫

I am not doing so well today for I caught what Will had and I feel lousy. I took some meds and am sucking on Cold-Eeze which helps. I haven’t felt like this in so many years I don’t remember the last time. Needless to say I am not doing much at all this day.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #15  

Good morning gals. It sure is nice not to have to run the furnace. Our bill is nice and low so far.

Jack is going out for coffee with Kelly this morning and when he gets back we are going to WM and get me some footies and he some work socks as both of them are starting to get holey. I wear mine in the house all the time so they wear out pretty fast. Jack's is caused by his work shoes. I also have to get some sand paper so I can rough up the mirror frame and get ready to paint it. I should get upstairs this weekend and clean up the handbags and get them hung up since Jack put up one of the racks.

I got my beach bag yesterday and it is adorable and huge. You can use it as an overnighter if you wish and it has a big zipper pocket in the front and a small cosmetic type bag attached inside. For $20 and you get your initials embroidered on for free not a bad deal.

I did my first day yesterday on the full plate diet. I did 41 grams so actually did one gram over. I am trying to shoot for 30 for right now just to get used to it. I do so hope I can stick with it and it works. I do want to lose weight and get off the darn diabetic meds.

Maggie: Just feel better soon. We will still be hanging around here when you do.

Jean: I couldn't find pita bread at WM, but they did have it at the commissary though I almost missed it. It should be in the bread area, but they had it right before you checkout in the bakery section on this little shelf with foreign stuff. The ones I was able to buy were already precut, which was nice. I imagine I am going to have to talk to the gyn again if it keeps up. This is worse than being younger and having cycles as it doesn't stop after a few days. Such a nuisance.

Everyone have a great Saturday. Faye