Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #1  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Question Do You Have Any "Free" Foods?

I was just sitting at the computer, and someone mentioned soup, and I realized "I can have broth!" It's kind of a cold day, and that sounded really good, and it's a "free" food, i. e., I can have it and not mess up my diet.

Do you have any "free" foods that help get you through those mucho hambre (very hungry) times during the day or night?
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Not really, but there is stuff I will eat with abandon at meal times. Kale. Greens. Actually, that's probably just it. Coffee is also free for me. And alcohol as long as it's a party.

But I also don't count little things like a couple of nuts, or a dried fig, or a piece of chocolate. Anything in a portion size that is statistically insignificant is definitely "free".

Last edited by IanG; 02-24-2015 at 08:38 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/140/115

Height: 5'3

raw baby carrots

big mixed green salads with a splash of balsamic vinegar

coffee. I take mine with a little skim milk. The calories are negligible.

up to 2 hard boiled eggs. They're so good for you, I also think they're well worth the caloric price.

tuna from a can with a little bit of olive oil, smoked paprika, parsley, and hot sauce. Okay, so this one's not "free" per se, but it's still under 200 calories and absolutely banishes all traces of hunger for me.

any kind of melon - it's mostly water!
omnomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #4  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Not really, but there is stuff I will eat with abandon at meal times. Kale. Greens. Actually, that's probably just it. Coffee is also free for me. And alcohol as long as it's a party.

But I also don't count little things like a couple of nuts, or a dried fig, or a piece of chocolate. Anything in a portion size that is statistically insignificant is definitely "free".
Can relate to the kale - just polished off a giant omelet with rainbow kale (I thought there was just "rainbow chard") and a whole red pepper!

You have more self-control than I do, Ian, as far as the little things go. On a Down Day, I won't even pick up one sliver of shredded cheese that hasn't been figured in, or I will take that as "LICENSE TO EAT" and go crazy.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #5  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Wink We need dancing egg and tuna smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnomgirl View Post
raw baby carrots

big mixed green salads with a splash of balsamic vinegar

coffee. I take mine with a little skim milk. The calories are negligible.

up to 2 hard boiled eggs. They're so good for you, I also think they're well worth the caloric price.

tuna from a can with a little bit of olive oil, smoked paprika, parsley, and hot sauce. Okay, so this one's not "free" per se, but it's still under 200 calories and absolutely banishes all traces of hunger for me.

any kind of melon - it's mostly water!
Nice! I love how we all have our own style of keeping on track. I do the coffee, also, but with one tablespoon of heavy cream, and some stevia powder. And I know that the eggs, and the tuna, would put the zapper on any hunger pangs. Protein Power!

Last edited by HungerWerks; 02-25-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #6  

Default roast brussels sprouts

Roast sliced Brussels sprouts sprinkled with sea salt! Very potato chippy!
franola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 145/140/115

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by franola View Post
That's a great idea, Franola. I've never had much of a sweet tooth (lucky in that respect), but I had a mean potato chip addiction for years, so I'm always on the lookout for yummy substitutes.
omnomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #8  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by franola View Post
Sounds really good! I'm not really a natural cook - what temperature oven for how long?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:05 PM   #9  
Maria

S/C/G: 253/144/129.8

Height: 5' 6"

Knorr soups that are low in sodium and are 40 calories a portion are somewhat of a free food for me. I usually eat two portions and they last me a while. Also, a couple of eggs with vegetables in.

Also, I cut up fruit and put them in the blender until they're creamy. I used to eat it as a kid and I still like it. I keep it at ~200 calories and it's very filling. It seems more filling than just eating the fruit for some reason.

I also eat salads with no oil but they don't fill me up.

Everything is accounted for, though. I usually overestimate to be sure and I don't mind going over by 100-200 calories if I'm hungry or there's something available that I have to try. If the mood strikes me, I might even eat less the next day to make up for it.
Marniadec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #10  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marniadec View Post
Knorr soups that are low in sodium and are 40 calories a portion are somewhat of a free food for me. I usually eat two portions and they last me a while. Also, a couple of eggs with vegetables in.

Also, I cut up fruit and put them in the blender until they're creamy. I used to eat it as a kid and I still like it. I keep it at ~200 calories and it's very filling. It seems more filling than just eating the fruit for some reason.

I also eat salads with no oil but they don't fill me up.

Everything is accounted for, though. I usually overestimate to be sure and I don't mind going over by 100-200 calories if I'm hungry or there's something available that I have to try. If the mood strikes me, I might even eat less the next day to make up for it.
Thank you, Marniadec! I love the thought that people are going to benefit by learning from these suggestions. I will definitely think more about soups as a free food, in addition to the broth I'm already allowed.

Speaking of having something available to try: I've recently decided to make tasting what I'm cooking for someone else "free." Like yesterday, I made the fastest meatloaf I've ever made for hubby. I was afraid it wouldn't be good, and took a miniscule taste - minus the cheese - and it was actually not bad. I watch a lot of cooking shows, and not tasting food you're cooking is, to them, a cardinal sin!
Old 02-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #11  
Maria

And they're right! My mom made me spaghetti and meatballs yesterday. She couldn't try the meatballs because she's fasting for Easter and they were salty as he!l, which was a first.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #12  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Quote:
And they're right! My mom made me spaghetti and meatballs yesterday. She couldn't try the meatballs because she's fasting for Easter and they were salty as he!l, which was a first.
She'll make up for it at Easter!
Old 02-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #13  
Maria

She's going to do much more than just make up for it, really. We're Greek Orthodox and fasting to us basically means going vegan. There's going to be a huge feast for Easter.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #14  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:
She's going to do much more than just make up for it, really. We're Greek Orthodox and fasting to us basically means going vegan. There's going to be a huge feast for Easter.
You are blessed!

I've just made blueberries by themselves a free (1/2 cup once a day) food. They're SO good for you, and are considered a "super" food, because:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle...ueberries.html

Some choice quotes:

They're possibly the ultimate superfood. Some nutritionists believe that if you make only one change to your diet, it should be to add blueberries.

Just 100g (4oz) of blueberries contain the same amount of age-defying antioxidants as five servings of other fruit and vegetables. Antioxidants help guard against a range of cancers, heart disease, asthma, arthritis and cataracts, Alzheimer's and age-related neurological diseases.

By preventing infectious bacteria from clinging to the wall of the gut, bladder and urethra, blueberries also offer protection against cystitis.

They protect the heart and "reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer. There is also resveratrol, which again is believed to have an anti-cancer effect."

snip "A US university study showed that blueberries slow down mental ageing. When older rats were fed the fruit for two months, they navigated mazes faster and had improved balance and co-ordination. In humans, about four ounces a day can stimulate the growth of new brain cells."

Will they make me gorgeous?

Quite possibly. They contain polyphenols, which combat the effects of free radicals, a key cause of wrinkles, and so keep skin looking younger for longer. They also help the body to make collagen, which keeps skin supple.

snip

How much do I need to eat?

[A half a cup a day, which is about forty calories.]"

I had a dream about blueberries, which made me think about adding them. Obviously a lot of benefits there! :dancingblueberriessmiley:
Old 03-05-2015, 06:15 AM   #15  
Nutritionally Obsessed

S/C/G: 130/118/under 120

Height: 5'5"

Sugar-free gum and water are my "free foods." I'm trying to kick the gum habit so it's on weekends only. The artificial sweetener may not be healthy. Gum seems to be harder to give up compared to diet soda. The soda was easy to stop drinking.

Blueberries are awesome! All berries are good for you and are low calorie, and taste great

Last edited by JenFZ09; 03-05-2015 at 06:16 AM.
JenFZ09 is offline   Reply With Quote