Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 01-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

Default Goal too modest?

I am only 16 lbs from my goal of 240. But my stomach is way bigger than I thought it would be at 256. 16 lbs less it's still going to be big. Last time I weighed 240 was in 2000 and I thought I looked better, so yesterday I dug up a bunch of old photos and my pot belly was indeed a lot bigger than I remember. 240 is too much, even at my height and build.

It's also for health. I had a blood pressure of 180/110 at 294 lbs and had to go on BP meds, I did not tolerate the preferred BP meds so I went on a beta blocker which the doctor says are weak, they only got my BP to 140/90. When I went to the doctor in November I was 263 and my BP was 120/80. But, this is still on meds and I want to get off them eventually. I don't think 240 will be low enough to allow me to do that.

I am tempted to change my goal to 225, which I think is a good weight for me. What would you do?
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 208/175.4/145

Height: 5'6"

What is the highest weight in your healthy BMI range? That's what I would shoot for. But please note, you are doing a great job!!! Getting to 240 is a big milestone and I hope you reward yourself when the time comes!
MarinMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

check out page 30 of this pamphlet. It emphasizes that losing a small amount of weight really improves your health, even if you're still heavier than you'd like.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/...rt/aim_hwt.pdf

There are some folks that believe in losing a chunk of weight, then maintaining that loss for a few months, and then losing another chunk of weight, then maintaining, and so on.

This strategy has always made sense to me, especially for folks who have a lot to lose.

it's up to you - ya gotta choose what'll work for YOU. and if it's not working, then you can change it!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #4  
I Can & I Will!

S/C/G: 400 S / Ticker C / 160 G

Height: 5'7

Right now my goal is to get to 160. I haven't been in the 100's since middle school so I have no clue whether I'll be happy with it or not. So in my mind I have the possible addition of losing 10-30 more pounds. If you feel you'd like to lose more to be happier/healthier then go for it! It's totally up to you.
Jesslan Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:44 AM   #5  

The highest healthy BMI (25) for me is 205 lbs. I don't have any dreams of hitting that. I don't need to be that thin, all I know is I need to be somewhat thinner than I am.

I read that PDF and it makes sense, setting modest goals that you can meet can help you to not get discouraged. I think I will keep it at 240 so I have a goal that I might meet this year. Then after that I can change it to 225 if I'm still feeling the need to lose more.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250-160/220/160

Height: 5'5"

You said that you were worried about your stomach in particular,
Quote:
But my stomach is way bigger than I thought it would be at 256. 16 lbs less it's still going to be big. Last time I weighed 240 was in 2000 and I thought I looked better, so yesterday I dug up a bunch of old photos and my pot belly was indeed a lot bigger than I remember. 240 is too much, even at my height and build.
and I found that for me, my stomach always looked huge, but it was because of loose skin. you've lost a significant amount of weight, and your belly may look larger due to this, i know this was my experience, and i spent years trying to lose ten more pounds, and eventually got skin removal surgery, and realized that there really hadn't been anything there to lose.
So while unscientific, I would wait until you get to 240 and re-asses. I always ask myself, can I move around well enough to do everything i want at this weight? If its not holding be back physically, sometimes its not worth stressing over.
The second question i would ask myself is what level can i maintain at? If you starve to get to a lower weight, but cant maintain that eating long term, its often better to stay with a higher, but comfortable weight.
Most importantly, keep exercising everyday, regular exercise is one of the best things for BP.
Congratulations on taking charge of your health, and on your success so far. Whether you end at 240, or 225 you did it, and that's what matters.
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:07 AM   #7  
In It to Win It!

S/C/G: 263/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

Well, if you're still not happy when you reach your goal weight, reevaluate. You could always ramp up your exercise, see a personal trainer, and get "lean" but not necessarily for weight loss, and instead to gain muscle mass.
banditbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #8  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditbear View Post
Well, if you're still not happy when you reach your goal weight, reevaluate. You could always ramp up your exercise, see a personal trainer, and get "lean" but not necessarily for weight loss, and instead to gain muscle mass.
I agree with this. Keep your goal weight for now and re-assess when you get there. I also agree that once you reach goal weight may be a good time to take a break from fat loss and focus on other forms of fitness, may be for a few months. If anything, it's helpful mentally and physically to take a break from calorie restriction before you go on to lose more weight, and it will give you time to adjust to your new body. It would also be a good time to go back to the doctor and see how you are doing health-wise.

Great job on your weight loss so far
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:10 AM   #9  

205 seemed like an impossible goal, I don't know if I can sustain something that low. Maybe I should not think this way, but it seemed out of reach. Maybe it will seem more attainable when I am closer to it. For now still 240 is the goal, maybe adjusting to 225 when I get there, from there I don't know.

The last time I was 205 as an adult was the early 90s. I remember feeling really, really thin, but from prior evidence in this thread, I know that my memory may be unreliable. I would like to find a picture of me back then, unfortunately I don't seem to have any, so I probably need to hit up some relatives.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:12 AM   #10  

Height: 5'2

Firstly congrats on the great progress thus far, secondly I think reevaluate once you 240 and then adjust your goal. I'd say aim for your highest BMI healthy weight...
size8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/245/169

Height: 5'8"

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! I too am losing weight for health reasons. I'd love to look better but I'm happy with my body...I just want to feel better.

I set my goal as the highest healthy BMI for my height which is 169, but honestly I think that is also too thin for the way I'm built. If I could reach 199 I think I'd be happy and healthy like I was in high school.

Just do what feels best for you and focus on getting your lab work where you want it, then go from there.
AlectoFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #12  

I know what you mean. I don't like to make excuses for myself but one thing I don't like about BMI is it makes no allowance for frame size.

I have a friend who is just an inch shorter than me, and he wondered why I weighed so much more but didn't "look" it so we stood back to back, I had a good 6 inches wider "wingspan" so we compared arm lengths which were the same. All that width was in the torso which weighs a lot more with given body fat, etc.

A healthy weight for him is probably different than a healthy weight for me, and it would be nice to know what is (i.e. is he narrower than average, or am I wider, or both?)
Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #13  

I don't think 205 is impossible you just need to work harder to get to that weight goal.
Shanice Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

My brother is 6'6" and 240ish. He's solid, muscular, but would be viewed as "skinny" by most even though he's muscular. I say aim for 225. Work on building muscle and see re-evaluate from there. You are doing awesome!!
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #15  
Eddie Disla

Default inch by inch lifes a cinch

Hey great job Super! Its understandable that you may not be aiming high enough with your goal but consider this, once you meet your goal you will be able to set a new one, and the cool part is you will have built up even more confidence from achieving that previous goal.

See what amount you would like to lose and go with what feels right as long as your feeling good about where you are, and where you are going you will do great!
EDisla83 is offline   Reply With Quote