Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-01-2015, 03:10 AM   #1  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Ups & Downs Support Group: February 2015

Hello and to the Ups & Downs Support Group February thread! Everyone is welcome to join the group if it fits your needs. If you are a regular, please post and let us know that you made it to the new thread. If you are new to the group, please post and tell us a bit about yourself and we will offer you support in any way that we can. We named this group Ups & Downs to reflect the many ups and downs that we experience in our weight loss journeys, in life with depression and (for many) on medication, and in life in general. This is OUR group, so please post away!!! The group has been a bit quiet lately, and I am hoping to get the support flowing freely again. That takes the effort of each of us in the group to share and post as often as possible, so that we can be here to support one another and cheer each other on all the way to our goals! Wishing each of you the best of luck and success in your weight loss journeys ~ and through all of the Ups & Downs that come along with it! Visualize yourself being successful and think positive! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:33 AM   #2  

iBelieveinMe2,
hi..my name is lira, 28 yo. i'm married, work a tough office job in a cramped room full of cubicles and backstabbing colleagues. i'm 45 lbs overweight.
i have adhd & depression. it's a daily battle. my house is a mess & thinking about cleaning up already make me exhausted.
today was not a good day. it was bad weather, i had an argument with my selfish mom (she has a toxic personality) and i have to clean my room,prepare my bag & stuff i need for my monday morning work commute. i rather lay in bed browsing the internet than doing the packing & cleaning
lira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #3  
I can do it!!!

Unhappy Hello!

lira: It is so good to hear from you again! I'm so sorry to hear that you work with a bunch of "backstabbing colleagues," and that you had an argument with your mom, and that she has a toxic personality. That must make things very stressful for you since you battle daily depression. Just curious: Are you on meds and/or in therapy for your depression? I am in the same about clearing clutter and cleaning my house. I tend to procrastinate whenever possible because I get overwhelmed and don't know where to start. You are right, sometimes it is exhausting just to THINK about doing it! But I am working hard to break the habit of procrastination and just do one thing each day that gets me closer to my goals. Baby steps! I don't always accomplish much, but I am working on making small changes wherever possible. For me, it begins with getting my mind in the right place. This is how it is for me with weight loss, too. I need to adjust my thoughts, which affect my feelings, which impact my behavior, which ultimately determines my outcome. I have been focusing on thinking positive and envisioning myself as (already) being successful at the things I want to accomplish. I am beginning to see positive changes in my life since doing this, but I need to be patient with myself in the process. I hope this is making sense. I thought that maybe by sharing my experience, it might help you in some way, too. Of course, we are both here surfing the internet and NOT getting done what we need to.....LOL! But sometimes it helps to know that you are not alone in your struggle. We are here to support you in any way that we can ~ with the clutter, procrastination, and the weight loss! Best of luck to you! Please keep in touch! And hang in there!

Last edited by IBelieveInMe2; 02-01-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:42 AM   #4  

What happened to January?!?!?

Not a good day today. Backstabbing work politics. Yes, on Sunday. Thank you, email. And thanks AHs at work for your vigilance in defending your turf at all costs. At All Costs. Children are starving. Grandmas need help crossing the streets. Cancer needs curing. The SeaHawks need a hug. Doesn't matter. You hang onto that little postage stamp of turf you've carved out for yourselves. That's ALL that matters. DAes.

(perdon, ladies.) After stopping the pre-surgery medications, I've been gaining weight, and I'm miserable. I just want to feel hopeful about something. I' m not feeling hopeful about weight loss or my career. (or lack thereof)

I'll be hoping for good things regarding your biopsy, Ibelieve. And happy distractions to take your mind off things. Sometimes this journey through life takes us into tunnels. Hopefully this tunnel will be short and you will have a hand-holding partner who will scream with you.
Invincible1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #5  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Good morning February people! My birthday is in February: this year I turn SIXTY on the 22nd. So anyway, I've always had a good feeling about this month, and I grew up in a place (Houston, Texas) whether the weather was quite pleasant in February. In fact, the new bikinis went on sale right around the time of my birthday. Since I was a bikini-wearing teenager, that was a good thing. And the azaleas and camellias were in bloom!

I'll stop chattering about Houston, because for those of you who follow my collage, I have a new one up, titled "the messenger". (Click on the image for a larger version.) This one is quite strange. Maybe you can tell me what it's about. =laugh=
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:44 AM   #6  

Hi. I hang out at another thread at 3FC. But I thought I would give this one a try. Because I do live with depression. I may have been here before when I first joined. I was in maintenance then as I am now ( even though I gained some, that I need to lose). But it is always a huge struggle to keep the weight off. I have been a habitual yoyo dieter over the decades. Sometimes weighing more than 200. Gaining is my default.

During the holidays I gained weight. Its like I fell off the wagon. And now I have to get back in the groove of dieting. Not so easy .I can do it for a few days. And then slip. I just got the taste for forbidden foods again. And went back to some old habits of eating. So I gained and am having a hard time getting the relentless cravings under control. That's my story right now. I tend to be a supportive person. But will hide the depression issue unless I am in a place where it is appropriate to occasionally refer to it. Sending best to people.

Last edited by flower123; 02-03-2015 at 08:38 PM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #7  
I can do it!!!

Smile Welcome Back!!!

flower123: I remember you from awhile ago. So once again to the group! So happy you posted! Sorry that you gained weight during the holidays and are finding it tough to get back on track. Remember that just because you battle depression doesn't mean that you aren't strong and supportive to those around you! Please feel free to talk about depression here and whatever other challenges you face in your life. We focus on BOTH the ups AND the downs, so it's all fair game! I highly suggest that you change the idea in your mind that "gaining is your default." While it might FEEL that way, it doesn't have to BE that way. I am currently researching and being coached on the power of POSITIVE thinking and visualization as it relates to weight loss. There is a significant amount of research that proves that we can actually change our brain chemistry (for the better or worse) with either positive or negative thoughts. You may have also heard of the law of attraction, which is a popular notion these days, too. The idea is that what you focus on, you will attract more of that into your life. I believe these ideas because I have witnessed them at work in my own and others' lives. And, I figure that, if by chance they work, I might as well think positive because it makes my mood better anyway! So it's a win-win situation all around! Just some "food" for thought for you! I wish you the best as you get yourself refocused and back into maintenance mode. Glad you are here!
Old 02-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #8  
I can do it!!!

Smile

Invincible1: Interesting and sad that you and lira are both dealing with backstabbing co-workers. That must be so aggravating!!! So sorry to hear that you've been gaining weight and feeling miserable and hopeless. How is/are your eye(s) doing after the surgery? I hope it helped! You said that you have had multiple surgeries on your eye(s). What exactly is the problem they are trying to fix? (Sorry if you already shared this info.) Thank you so much for the wishes for "good things and happy distractions" regarding my biopsy. I like that idea! I will just be relieved to have the results so that I can move forward with my life. I am ready for whatever comes my way! Have you journaled about feeling hopeless? I hate that you feel that way. Please feel free to share all you want about your feelings here in the group. Sometimes it helps to get an outsider's objective perspective on your situation. Just an idea. Do what feels comfortable to you! Hang in there! I am sending you a big hug and some HOPE!!!
Old 02-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #9  

Hi there, I believeinme2, Thank you for your great response. Sorry. I usually know better than to be negative. It was a temporary slip I studied for years with a psychic institute. As well as shorter stints at other institutes for psychic and spiritual advancement. Then there was the altering expereince when depression hit. Before then I worked at a healing clinic for years giving healing to people free of charge. So I agree with what you said. Nevativity has no place in the healthy thought process. Point well taken. I normally no longer succumb to depression. But I had a slip yesterday. That is when I posted. Back in strength and positive thinking. Onward and upward. Thanks again for your reply. Wishing you VERY best and blessings !

Last edited by flower123; 02-03-2015 at 06:41 PM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 360/347.6/199

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone. Joining this thread as I struggle with depression and anxiety. I'm having a rough night tonight, hence me seeking this thread out. I had a falling out with two friends tonight and it occurred about 20 minutes before my personal training appointment. I was running out the door still trying to text and then I was so frazzled I took a wrong turn on my way there. I ended up 25 minutes late. My trainer wasn't thrilled but she was nice enough to give me 45 minutes instead of the 35 I had left (supposed to be 1 hour appointments). i feel really anxious over the situation but I don't want to let it get me off track.
thewickedcityx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #11  
I can do it!!!

Smile Welcome!!!

thewickedcityx: to the group!!! So sorry you had a falling out with two friends tonight! Despite feeling frazzled and anxious about the situation and being late, good for you for still going to your personal training appointment! It probably actually helped with some of the anxiety. And you took another positive step forward by posting in this group! So there are some positives to focus on in the midst of the chaos and anxiety! If the friends are worth keeping and healthy for you to be around, I hope you will be able to work things out with them. If not, maybe parting ways is in your best interest. Regardless, take good care of yourself and do your best to stay on track. You are in control and you can do it!
Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #12  
I can do it!!!

Smile

Fi: Happy Milestone Birthday Month!!! We will celebrate YOU all month long, but we need to have a HUGE virtual b-day bash on the 22nd!!! Do you have any special plans to celebrate your big day? How have you been feeling? Have you been able to do your Qigong lately? And has it helped? What about your leg exercises? How is Bob doing? Your collage is very interesting. I've never been good at interpreting other people's art, but I would love to know what that sign says that the messenger is carrying! People seem shocked at "the news." It even turned one person upside down! What do YOU think (or know) the sign says?
Old 02-03-2015, 08:18 PM   #13  
I can do it!!!

Red face

flower123: I am not at all saying that you can't share your "bad" or "negative" feelings in this group. We want to support you in both your ups and downs and I don't want you to feel like I'm judging your posts. I was mainly speaking to your comment about gaining weight being your default mode. Anyway, you are allowed to have a slip in your thinking and/or a bad day! So PLEASE don't feel bad about yourself for anything!!! That was not my intent at all! Just wanted to clarify that!
Old 02-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 360/347.6/199

Height: 5'8"

Thank you so much, IBelieve very encouraging
thewickedcityx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #15  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello, found the Feb. thread, thanks Kathleen (IBelieve) for starting it

I am married, 54 yrs old, 2 grown sons, and funny dog Eddie. My winter job is deli/cashier from November to April and I hate it and hate my evil boss; my summer job is pastry chef at a private lodge in the woods and I love that one! I have somewhat controlled depression; I take Wellbutrin, I work out about 4 to 5 x's a week, and I 'come alive' in summer when I can live on my motorcycle I am a lifelong yo-yo dieter, have a distorted body image, and am working on more positive thoughts daily.

Lira - real sorry you had words with your mom...do you live close or is it by phone? If it is such a toxic relationship, is it possible to just keep distance..really sorry about that. And the work situation, why are there always people that are so ruthless

Hi Invinceable1, real sorry you also have to deal with backstabbing colleagues! especially on a Sunday! and we HOPE so much that your eye problem will be alright?? don't know what the situation is but our eyes are sooo precious. Hope you are OK today

Hi flower123, welcome back I hope you find it supportive here. If you live in Vt. but don't love winter then that is in itself a reason to be depressed! at least it's still light at 5 pm. Hey you don't need to apologize for expressing any negative thoughts, but you are right that it sure does help to try to train ourselves to go positive. Hope you are doing good today

Hello thewickedcityx, welcome and sorry you are feeling depressed and anxious! but kudos to you for still going to your personal training appointment after a falling out, good for you!

Hi Fi and I'm glad you like February! you can have my share of it I just think of it as a month to 'get through'.

Hi Kathleen and we are soooo pulling for GOOD news about your health!!

I've been trying to stick to my working out at least 4 x's a week but my eating is feeling out of control. Possibly when I see signs of Spring is when I can focus better. Usually at this time of year I am at least trying and slipping up but I'm not even able to 'try' ! I have a huge "plus" that my husband has been restricting carbs for himself since October and has lost weight..he cooks dinner every night and I am so lucky for that! but I can't feel satisfied without a piece of toast after dinner.

I've been over my cold for almost 2 weeks but i am still so full of gook that I can't be anywhere without my Puffs tissues to get rid of it. I guess I should be glad that it's draining instead of stuck in head or chest.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote