Old 01-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/161.5/115

Height: 5'0

Unhappy Didn't cheat but out of ketosis. still losing weight??

I'm back on IP after 3 years. Had great success last time I did it but due to a 3 month vacation I never phased off properly. So here I am. Heavier than before but far more motivated and determined.

So I'm only in 5 days and have lost 8 pounds and have been ready about a 30 on my ketosis strips..

This morning I wake up pee on a strip. and I'm not showing ANY ketones. So I check my weight and I'm also up a pound and a half?!! My coach is out of town, her mom had a heart attack so I would rather not bother her..

My day consisted of
b- IP cappuccino rtd drink
l-eas carb control chocolate fudge drink. ans pickles that are 0 calorie 0 carb
d- big Mac in a bowl with mustard instead of the WF 1000.

Plenty of water.. I'm wondering if the fact that I got off of depo (birth control) after 7 years and just started menstruating Sunday has anything to do with it, or is this common?

Oh. And even if you're not in ketosis are you still losing weight??

Thanks in advance!! I'm hoping to lose 45 pounds by may/June at the LATEST

Last edited by keepcalmbeclassy; 01-29-2015 at 08:24 AM.
keepcalmbeclassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

yes you can be losing weight and not in ketosis. You are eating sub 1000 cal a day. And non ketogenic low carbs are proven and effective to work. Ketosis used properly is just a bonus state.
if you are using urine sticks for ketone then other factors can be. You might be in ketosis and not flag a stick. Depending on age of the stick, time of day. i get best reading first thing in the AM.
If you get too much protein you can kick yourself into gluconeogenisis.
How many grams of carb a day are you getting? For myself I am so sensitive the top end of the scale people say is 20-30 for me it 10-20.
wylothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepcalmbeclassy View Post
I'm back on IP after 3 years. Had great success last time I did it but due to a 3 month vacation I never phased off properly. So here I am. Heavier than before but far more motivated and determined.

So I'm only in 5 days and have lost 8 pounds and have been ready about a 30 on my ketosis strips..

This morning I wake up pee on a strip. and I'm not showing ANY ketones. So I check my weight and I'm also up a pound and a half?!! My coach is out of town, her mom had a heart attack so I would rather not bother her..

My day consisted of

Plenty of water.. I'm wondering if the fact that I got off of depo (birth control) after 7 years and just started menstruating Sunday has anything to do with it, or is this common?

It seems that your intake was just fine. You could be really sensitive to carbs, but you did not have a lot of them. I have to keep mine low too.
I never used Keto sticks. I just stuck to the plan and it all worked just great. I never worried about being in Ketosis...I would think there would be normal fluctuations in that just as on the scale.
But since you have lost 8 lbs in 5 days (like WOW!) I would not be worried. My top loss was 2.5 lbs in a week.

So I would worry less about the keto sticks. If you are following the plan you should be fine.
Being in Ketosis is a yes or no kind of thing. You can't be a little bit in Ketosis. Just like you can't be a little bit pregnant. You either are or you are not
Keep doing what you are doing! It's working!

And watch those homones too. Estrogen is stored in fat, and when you start losing a lot of fat those estrogens are released into the blood stream and a lot of crazy things can happen!
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

urine ketosticks only measure EXCESS ketones. As in, those not being used by your body. After a while in ketosis, your body gets very efficient and using those ketones for energy, and so you would not reflect any excess on the sticks.

They are designed for people with kidney issues and diabetes, not for people on ketogenic diets. Reading high ketones is a sign of a serious medical condition. If you are following the program, your carb intake on a daily basis is appropriate to keep you in ketosis, and if nothing shows up on the sticks it just means your body is using up what it produces. You're perfectly on track!

Last edited by scorbett1103; 01-29-2015 at 09:56 AM.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #5  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepcalmbeclassy View Post

My day consisted of

That looks like too few carbs to me. I don't see 4 cups of vegetables or your 2 tsp oil/healthy fat in there, and it's light on a snack.

If you have ToM then it's probably water weight. Many of us gain a few days before and don't see any loss again until ToM has ended. Pickles are also naturally salty so you could have additional water retention there, too.

The average person has to be taking in around 40-50 net carbs to push them out of ketosis, unless you are super sensitive - which can build up with time, but unlikely to be at a reboot with a significant time interval between the last time you came off program.

There should be other ketosis symptoms though - the metallic taste, "bad" (always a subjective term because it smells good on some people) breath, cold hands and feet, lack of cravings, seldom feeling hungry, having more energy (in some people it's less energy) and being thirsty. You may have forgotten about all of those while you use test strips in the first week.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #6  

keepcalmbeclassy:
Remember: 3 IP packets (or alts) per day
4 c veggies
2 tsp oil
8 oz dinner protein (meat)
plus unlimited lettuce, raw spinach, raw cukes or celery (and a few others).

Pickles are not 0 cal/0 carb but they're very low!

But yes, TOM can affect scale losses temporarily due to water retention.

If you're weighing daily, just give it a break for a bit and trust the plan to work.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote