Old 01-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/173/130

Height: 5'6"

Exclamation Ideal Protein Plateau HELP!

Hi,

I'm currently on Ideal protein and for the past 3 weeks I have lost under .75lbs. not to mention my inches lost aren't very impressive either. My coach doesn't really have any tips for me or anything that could be causing this. We can't find any hidden carbs/sugars etc. in my food journal. I have had my thyroid checked recently. So as you all can imagine I'm starting to very frustrated
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank yoU!
IpgalMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpgalMN View Post
Hi,

I'm currently on Ideal protein and for the past 3 weeks I have lost under .75lbs. not to mention my inches lost aren't very impressive either. My coach doesn't really have any tips for me or anything that could be causing this. We can't find any hidden carbs/sugars etc. in my food journal. I have had my thyroid checked recently. So as you all can imagine I'm starting to very frustrated
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank yoU!
OK first....BREATHE

A stall is NO change in either the scale or inches for SEVERAL weeks. You say you are losing weight and inches, so you aren't really stalled....even if things are happening more slowly.

There are lots of things happening in our bodies that can reflect on the scale:
- illness or injury. Being sick or getting hurt can cause us to retain water, which will show up on the scale.
- TOM - some people see small changes on the scale and tape measure going into their period. I am a lucky one that generally sees this happen the week before AND the week of
- Stress or lack of sleep. Both can show up on the scale in the form of slowed losses.
- Not getting in all of your food/water. IP is so low calorie as it is, that skipping ANY part of what you need to eat daily can slow things down. Not drinking enough water leads to the body retaining what it does get. Drinking MORE water flushes it out
- Constipation. Extra weight PLUS water retention.
- Exercise without adding an extra packet. Same as not eating enough - if you have been more active than usual and aren't adding back the calories you burn, it can slow things down.

Does your clinic have you eating 2 unrestricted and 1 restricted item every day? Are you eating the same proteins all the time (especially if you're only eating fish and chicken)?
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:42 PM   #3  

What Scorbett said!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

How long have you been on IP? Have you been strict the whole time.
Are you measuring how deep in ketosis you are? how are you measuring ketosis?
How long have you been in ketosis?
How much protein are you taking in?
How much activity are you getting?
How much green leafy veggies?
How much fat are you getting?

#1 if you knew your blood ketone level it easy to answer with what may be going on.
Blood ketone level
calories consumed typically
activity level, what kind, intensity, and duration
duration in ketosis/ nutritional starvation

excess protein can cause gluconeogenisis.
If you have been very militant with very little variations adaptation can happen rapidly even with drastic calorie restriction.
If it is water you should be able to feel and now that versus just being stalled. When I get water stuck, vascularity changes, feel it in feet & hands, can see it in facial structure.

Last edited by wylothar; 01-28-2015 at 04:48 PM.
wylothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
OK first....BREATHE

A stall is NO change in either the scale or inches for SEVERAL weeks. You say you are losing weight and inches, so you aren't really stalled....even if things are happening more slowly.

There are lots of things happening in our bodies that can reflect on the scale:
- illness or injury. Being sick or getting hurt can cause us to retain water, which will show up on the scale.
- TOM - some people see small changes on the scale and tape measure going into their period. I am a lucky one that generally sees this happen the week before AND the week of
- Stress or lack of sleep. Both can show up on the scale in the form of slowed losses.
- Not getting in all of your food/water. IP is so low calorie as it is, that skipping ANY part of what you need to eat daily can slow things down. Not drinking enough water leads to the body retaining what it does get. Drinking MORE water flushes it out
- Constipation. Extra weight PLUS water retention.
- Exercise without adding an extra packet. Same as not eating enough - if you have been more active than usual and aren't adding back the calories you burn, it can slow things down.

Does your clinic have you eating 2 unrestricted and 1 restricted item every day? Are you eating the same proteins all the time (especially if you're only eating fish and chicken)?
Thank you so much for your feed back. Its nice to see it could be several things. I don't eat a restricted item everyday- Just kinda by my mood. I do eat a lot of chicken throughout the week mainly because its and easy go-to item.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #6  

Hi everyone. Today is my 3rd day on P1. I have read through many of the threads and am glad to read that what I'm feeling in not uncommon - nauseous, fatigue today and a headache.
Previously in today's thread someone mentioned "green vegetables. " The past 2 days I have not had any lettuce at lunch. Should I work on incorporating lettuce? Thank you!
chenry970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylothar View Post
How long have you been on IP? Have you been strict the whole time.
I have been IP for awhile 20weeks- I was doing great then some personal things came up and I got off, rolled into the holidays. So I'm slightly set back.
Are you measuring how deep in ketosis you are? how are you measuring ketosis?
I have tried measuring ketosis & how much I'm into ketosis and never have much luck. I usually use the strips that you can just by at your local drug store.
How long have you been in ketosis?
I know that I have been in Ketosis for sure 4weeks.
How much protein are you taking in?
Because I use primary MyFitness Pal, my protein is around the 60%-70%, Fat is around 20-30% and Carbohydrate 10%-15%. I really try and focus on keeping my carbs in the 25g-30g range.
How much activity are you getting?
Moderate. If its nice, I will go on a walk. Nothing major.
How much green leafy veggies?
Ahhh, Well I have always know this is an issue for me because if consume the 4cups of veggies a day that you are suppose to; this is a bit TMI. It upsets my stomach and is totally up in the air which way its going to go. So I aim around 3cups.
How much fat are you getting?
Like I mentioned 20-30%

#1 if you knew your blood ketone level it easy to answer with what may be going on.
Blood ketone level
calories consumed typically
activity level, what kind, intensity, and duration
duration in ketosis/ nutritional starvation

excess protein can cause gluconeogenisis.
If you have been very militant with very little variations adaptation can happen rapidly even with drastic calorie restriction.
If it is water you should be able to feel and now that versus just being stalled. When I get water stuck, vascularity changes, feel it in feet & hands, can see it in facial structure.
Thank you so much for your feed back!
Old 01-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

In addition, to what others have said. I had a stall a few months ago and I was following the program and my coach figured out that I was going thru a period where my son was waking me up really early (like 4:30 in the morning) and I actually needed to eat more. So she had me add in a packet (eat right at 4:30) and again at 7:30 which was closer to when I normally eat breakfast. Seemed so strange to me but I unstalled.

I've also read on here that people will switch things up and eat beef when they mainly ate chicken and that helped. I always eat variety so I can't attest to that but I know I've read it here.
shasta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #9  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Good responses above ...

My only thoughts ...

If I dont drink enough water ... I stall out. Most people have a hard time getting their 80 to 100 oz of water in. Buy two big 1.5 L bottles of Evian Water (or some other bottled water) ... Mark them in the morning with today's date. By the end of the day, see if they are both empty.

Also scale weight can vary a lot depending on when you weight yourself. Try to weigh yourself at the same time and under the same conditions. I like in the morning right after I get up and use the bathroom.

Finally sodium can cause you to retain fluid/water ... so watch your sodium intake.

If you are not losing because your metabolism is slow as molasses (which is a problem I tend to have), you can always try taking a 60 minute walk every day (that might help with kick starting your burn rate).

Try to eat more calories earlier in the day and fewer later in the day (if possible) ... dont eat after say 7:30 to 8:00 pm or so. But you can continue with water or tea.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 01-28-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

When I had a stall I had a restricted bar every other day for a week, and tht helped.

It is easy to go into a stall like this, but I think it is just our body catching up to the fast loss.
If you stay strong and OP you will eventually lose. Your body can't help it!
Also, I like to have a protien at about 7 or 8 in the morning to keep me from going too long without protein. It's not always about the calories, but about what your body needs at the time.
So hang in there. It is frustrating now, but if you stay OP it will end!
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

The simple approach may be best. 30g carbs per day may be enough to kick out ketosis. 3 weeks of no progress period, or just weight? Seems you are losing inches still. If your body weight is stationary and inches dropping likely you are still burning fat and getting some hypertrophy (muscle gain).

Now my nerd out.

M - How long have you been on IP? Have you been strict the whole time.
Y- I have been IP for awhile 20weeks- I was doing great then some personal things came up and I got off, rolled into the holidays. So I'm slightly set back.
M-How long have you been compliant since losing off system? 4 weeks + I assume. That is good, your glucose should be depleted if all things are right.
M- Are you measuring how deep in ketosis you are? how are you measuring ketosis?
Y- I have tried measuring ketosis & how much I'm into ketosis and never have much luck. I usually use the strips that you can just by at your local drug store.
M- Ketone sticks are the 2nd best way of testing. You can be in ketosis and not flag the stick. Best bet using them, try stick first thing AM before anything. You are fasted and will not have had a dietary disruption for hours. While sleeping your body would have a low fuel demand so the most liekly time to have waste excretion of ketone. If you’re in dietary ketosis this is best time to see it.
Blood ketone testing is best way. I will show exactly how well in ketosis you are. It will not give a mis diagnosis like a keto stick can. This will show you how deep in ketosis you are. ketones being fracture fat molecule any evidence would conclude fat burning.

Ideal protein never talked about ketosis when I did it back in 2010. So it is easy to get to overly concerned over that part dont get caught up in the forest through the trees. I am just a nerd on this kind of stuff.

M- How long have you been in ketosis?
Y- I know that I have been in Ketosis for sure 4weeks.
M- For sure 4 weeks, so you have been able to get sucess testing? Even at this you shouldn't have had a dietary adaptation that would stall you.
M- How much protein are you taking in?
Y- Because I use primary MyFitness Pal, my protein is around the 60%-70%, Fat is around 20-30% and Carbohydrate 10%-15%. I really try and focus on keeping my carbs in the 25g-30g range.
M- This is a flag personally for me. I have never even seen it admitted or recognized in IP circles. Protein can convert to glucose (ketone production can stop) and energy via gluconeogenisis. The liver can make upto 150 grams of glucose a day through that mechanism. Fat can actually help maintain ketosis and is a good energy source aka fuel.
How many total calories a day? What is your maintenance calories from myfitness pal? How big a deficit are you running off of that?
Depending on your adaptation rate to the low calories and metabolic damage 30 grams carbohydrate might be too much.
As an example. I am a large frame male very metabolically damaged and 30grams way too many grams to be in ketosis with myself. Sub 20 grams a day for me.
M- How much activity are you getting?
Y- Moderate. If its nice, I will go on a walk. Nothing major.
M- Has your LBM dropped? If lbm in pounds has dropped your resting metabolism has dropped.

M- How much green leafy veggies?
M- Ahhh, Well I have always know this is an issue for me because if consume the 4cups of veggies a day that you are suppose to; this is a bit TMI. It upsets my stomach and is totally up in the air which way its going to go. So I aim around 3cups.
M- 75% compliance, probably acceptable. It tough to get that all down I agree. Not for gut issues for me but I am not fond of grazing. Have you tried fermented foods to help digestive aid? Sourkrout, kimchi etc.

M- How much fat are you getting?
Y- Like I mentioned 20-30%
M- Rough calculations based on data you provided.
20 - 30% of how much? Calories specifically. 2 tbsps of olive oil is roughly 240 calories total of fat about how much other dietary fat do you get.

30 g (top of your scale) of carb is 120 cal @15% (high end) that is less than 850 calories total a day. Sound right?

255 calories (based on your percentage) of fat and 475 cal protein @ 119 grams protein.
I say too few calories overall and too little fat, likely possibly to many carbohydrates. I had come to that not by % but by grams and calorie relations. Cholesterol in fats is the compound to feed entire hormone cascade.
Lastly you can try to supplement resveratrol to help rebuild your mitochondria. They are the engines of your metabolism. High oxidation can harm their function.

Podcast explains resveratrol and relation to mitochondria and metabolism. http://body.io/body-io-fm-43-t3-fuel...abolic-issues/
google the video 'minding your mitochondria' by Dr. Terry Wahls.

Last edited by wylothar; 01-30-2015 at 09:24 AM.
wylothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #12  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Wylothar, when you say sub 20, I assume you're talking net carbs (ie after deducting fiber and 1/2 any sugar alcohols present)?

I agree with you on the gluconeogenesis from protein. I have noticed that since I'm doing Couch to 5K AND strength training (free weights) on alternate days that I lost my regular keto signs for two days, but it kicked back in when I brought my protein levels back within the 0.5 - 0.6g per lb of body weight. It's an interesting fact that is not addressed in the IP literature. My basic assumption had been that excess protein would be synthesised to the muscles.

Thanks for the clarification.

If it's of any use to you, IpgalMN, my daily macros are as follows:-

I normally average 25-28 net carbs with 28-30ish fat, 95-105 protein and between 850 and 950 calories (when I'm being compliant). This consistently results in weight loss, unless I introduce exercise and increase across the board.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote