Old 11-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/264.9/175

Height: 5'9"

Default Anyone ever lose it really?

Hi, I am 63 years old, and just looked back at an online log I have had for the last seven years. The graph goes up and down, up and down for all those years - many times - in ranges of up to 50 pound difference or more. I am towards the top again, but not the very top. My health is beginning to suffer, although I keep fairly active and exercise every day (that can only do so much). I want to live to see my grandkids grow up, but I have friends who are in the same place and no matter how bad their health issues are NO ONE seems to really conquer it. It is also harder than ever to do it now. I tried Weight Watchers recently, but I have never liked those groups. I need to actually change WHAT I eat. I once kept 90 pounds off for four years - I was younger, there was less stress, etc.
Any good advice from people who have actually kept it off?
redjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

redjb7, I have never been able to lose more than 25 lbs. Before I got married I was thin, but not naturally thin.....it was a struggle to stay that way. Once I got below 200 I haven't been able to lose more than 5 lbs, which I don't keep off for very long. It is very frustrating. I am 68. I do believe age has something to do with it, but there ARE some senior citizens who do lose larger amounts of weight. I just haven't discovered the secret. I think I eat healthy foods, just too much of it, and move too little.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #3  
One Old Jedi

S/C/G: 306/208/195

Height: 6'0"

Default Why I might be successful... this time

Your mileage might be different, but...

For me, I have lost and gained weight many times since my 20's
Was the prototypical yo-yo weight poster boy.

Self awareness was the key for me, know thyself. All the times I had lost
before I gained it back because I was on a diet. This was temporary in nature, after the weight loss permanent changes never stuck and the weight
came back....

At 50 I was diagnosed as a type 2, and had to make a decision. Who did I want to be at 55, 60 and beyond. This was the goal... but it needed more
1) Wanted to be healthier and more fit
Then as about how that person lives...
2) How does that 55 me eat, how does he eat?
3) How does the 55 get in his exercise?
4) What does his life look like...

Then I said, no diet. Live like that future me, today
and tomorrow he will be here. This is the solution that worked for me.

My body is no longer in it's 20's or 30's. Need to live like the future me.

So I started portion control like the future me. try to eat much smaller meals 500 cals or less, 3 to 4 times a day.
Get out and walk/run 3 days a week, twice for an hour each and on the weekend go for some longer walk/runs. Bike 10 miles and some weekends long trail rides.

Want to see what the future looks like, look in the mirror today.
Want to see a different future in the mirror, live like that image today.

This was the trick for me, love myself, know myself and live like the
person I want to be tomorrow.

Think at 53 I finally have me figured out
PSP Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
My body is no longer in it's 20's or 30's. Need to live like the future me.
wow, I think that may be the best thing I've read lately! I am 55 now and a month before turning 54 got the dx of Type 2, high BP, gout, I was a mess. I did a low carb high fat way of eating and it has worked pretty well.Now after a lifetime in the high 200's I am trying to figure out where the future me will land weight wise.

Is it even feasible to think I'll have a normal BMI? I've been in the 170's now for over 6 months, I exercise daily and I may be done losing weight. My husband says I look good.
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:05 PM   #5  

Cellcept doses vary according to levels in the blood and patient sensitivity. Your dose seems to be in the middle. I take 500mg/2x/day,though others in my Tx center are on 1000mg/2x/day. Prograf drives blood sugar levels haywire as does Prednisone with 20% of Prograf users becoming Type II diabetics. I always maintained that though Prednisone makes hospital food taste good it also makes blood sugar rise. Even if you are NOT a diabetic the higher sugars will lead to weight gain.

I would confer with your Tx team to find out if these doses of these two medications can be lowered to help you out('sides what can they do....say no?) Stay Well.
aerialyoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 203/132/125

Height: 5 ft. 2 in.

To answer the thread title, YES.

1/1/13 I went mostly grain free, sugar free, and gave up most processed foods. At the age of 61. I started dancing at home for exercise. I lost 66 lbs. in 2013. I have been in maintenance since Sept. 2013. I have become extremely passionate about this lifestyle because it has truly changed my life. I'm 63 now. It CAN be done! My blood glucose went from 98 (pre-diabetic) to 68 at my last physical in October. Yes, 68!!

Last edited by Sunny Coconut; 01-10-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Sunny Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #7  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Yes, I was @ my 25 yr. self weight (129 pounds) until age 46 when I was peri-menopausal.
I began feeling blah & became less active, so I went from 129 pounds up to 140 pounds @ 46 yrs old. Then my metabolism slowed & I kept eating like a 20 yr. old not thinking about weight gain & I got fat & gained 20 pounds by stress eating.
Then it took me a 1 1/2 yr to lose 26 pounds to get back to my 'Happy weight of 140 pounds My 140 pound self is Now, my Adult self & I'm not ashamed to have a few curves.
I gained 10 pounds back, 4 yrs later & I had to buy a size larger in clothes & I came back to 3FC for your support & I'm Now more conscious of being Lazy w my behavior.
I KNOW good from bad & right from wrong, & Nobody is forcing me to 'eat stupidly,' & Nobody is making me b 'Lazy/inactive,' but Myself & so if I want something it's up to Me to Make-It-Happen
I will b back to my 'Happy weight this year. I am 6 pounds from my 140 pound goal, because I ate 'everything' w my dh over the holidays, instead of 'saying no.'

May God Bless each of U with Good Health & a Good weight Loss U can Make this Happen if U Really Want It
miniDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 203/132/125

Height: 5 ft. 2 in.

You can do it Dee!! It just takes persistence, and as I like to call it, "creating a sacred place in your heart for your health."

Sunny Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #9  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

PSP ORANGE that was good advice. Living today like the person you want to be tomorrow. What would our eat and how would you move? Thank you for that. It's my second go around and at 50 I decided this will work like it did at 45. I lost over 100 pounds and have regained 60 of them. I have things that I allowed to derail me but with my age has come wisdom and I will not fall prey to the mind trickery.

I feel empowered since I started over last Tuesday. To the original poster...it an be done and you will get victory in your health. Your experience does not have to the experience of those around you but you can be an example to them. I will say that one of the most important things for me the last time around, was having this forum and the people that encouraged you even when you have a bad day. To add to what has been said....DO NOT LET ONE BAD MEAL OR SNACK RUIN YOUR DAY OR YOUR PROCESS!!!! IF YOU FALL JUST GET BACK UP DUST YOURSELF OFF AND GET BACK IN THE GAME.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:49 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Yes there's quite a few of us... try checking out the Maintainers threads or here's a link to a Maintainers What Are You Eating Today thread I'm often on. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...art-2-a-7.html I'm almost 51 & I lost 31 lbs and am approaching my 1 yr maintenance anni. Several of the gals that post regularly are our ages or older (65x65, Ruth Ann, and Maile come to mind) and they have lost and kept off 65 lbs, 125 lbs and I believe 90 lbs. There are others of varying ages and weight losses on there of course but all of us are doing lower carb, higher NORMAL levels of protein, and healthy fats. The trick as others have said is changing your mindset about food. We can't just go on a diet to lose weight and then go back to old habits.
How does that saying go? If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always had. Good information on the National Weight Control Registry: http://www.nwcr.ws/

Best wishes to you all... Hang in there one day at a time!

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 216

Height: 4'11

Thumbs up Yes! About to turn 60 and feeling younger everyday!

After a lifetime of dieting and ups/downs like you ... I finally found something that works for me. Ideal Protein. Half this battle is mental ... the other half, finding what you can live with and enjoy. I hope you'll find that for you. If you haven't checked IP out... please do. I find it combined the best features of the best programs out there and I'm happy to tell you it's working! I'm down 30 lbs and feel better than I have in many years. Still going strong one day at a a time. You can do it too!
AuntSuSu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #12  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Thanks Aunt SuSu, I can't have SOY & most protein powder includes it. Do u know which doesn't. I'm tired of standing in the store aisles reading the labels I tried a whey protein powder, then read IT had SOY also & I had to throw it away
miniDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 299/159/129

Height: 5'1

I haven't kept it off, a 40 yr yoyo veteran here. But this time every thing is different. I also had that old phrase about how the definition of insanity is about how doing the same thing over and over again and expecting deifferent results is insanity. I've lost 74 pds this time with a new approach- a kind of zen - " new age " approach that addresses my mind, spirit and emotions first. Somehow I just know this is the time. I always remember what my daughter told me when I was bemoaning my yo yo pattern she said: " Mom, just think if you had never lost any weight. How much would you weigh then?" I,d probably be dead truthly, I'm sure over 400 pounds. All "failures" are really just learning experiences. Put together the things that helped and drop what didn't. Try new things.
FairyGaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/210/125

Height: 5'5"

I have lost and regained around fifty pounds ten times or more. I am inspired by those of you who have lost and kept it off and I'm comforted by those of you have the same yoyo problem I have yet keep on trying.

Like Redjb7, I found an old diary with a very sad record of ups and downs. It makes me want to give up, but if I don't try, I'm afraid I'll keep going until I'm in a truly dangerous state of obesity.

Like FairyGaia's daughter says, if I had only gained and never dieted I would weigh about 500 pounds now.
FluffyFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:41 PM   #15  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I am 40 so take this as you will. But changing the what you eat is critical to maintenance. Exercise too if you can do that.

I eat a lot of lean protein and veggies. And not many refined carbs.

To lose eat less. To maintain, you need to have changed what you eat.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote