Old 01-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225.6/224.2/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Any diabetics on this program?

Hi,
I'm a Type 2 diabatic and my blood sugar numbers after the holidays (of reckless sugar consumption) have been much higher than usual. I am at the end of my first week on IP and my blood sugars have not moved at all. Have not gone down at all and I'm wondering if eating oatmeal, and pasta salad and pancakes - all unrestricted items on IP are still just not right for Type 2 Diabetics. I can usually lower my numbers in just a few days of a more paleo/fresh raw veggies way of eating.
Please anyone, any thoughts or advice?
esammy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

My husband is a type 1 diabetic, so I know the nasty beast of insulin resistance. If you blow your carb intake over a period of days, it may very well take your body a while to come down from the blood sugar rush.

Are you on insulin or another regulating medication for your Type 2?

It's not recommended that you only have unrestricted items on IP - the restricted item every day keeps both calorie and carb counts from dropping TOO low. If you are following P1 then your net carbs are only going to be around 20-40 every day, including the restricted. My husband boluses his insulin for gross, not net carbs, so you may want to track your daily intake on something like My Fitness Pal to see where your carb intake lies - maybe plug in the last 4 or 5 days and see where you're trending.

Above all, check in with your MD. If this is a new change, it's not necessarily IP related and might need to be looked into from a medical standpoint.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #3  

Hi, thank you for your response. I am allergic to Metformin and Glucophage so I have been controlling through diet and exercise alone for 13 years. I think perimenopause is the thing that has changed my body yet again, spiking my sugars and contributing to weight gain. Things that have always worked for me in the past, are not working now. Hence returning to IP to try and lose weight. But I don't do well with artificial sweeteners. I struck Splenda from my diet a long time ago and am now eating it every day in these products. I just don't do well with the stuff.
I have not up until now needed insulin, but my numbers have really crept up over the last month. I thought they would drop more quickly on IP. I think I may have to stay away from ALL sweet things and all of the starchy like things. I'm not sure what that leaves me with, the omelette.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by esammy12 View Post
Hi, thank you for your response. I am allergic to Metformin and Glucophage so I have been controlling through diet and exercise alone for 13 years. I think perimenopause is the thing that has changed my body yet again, spiking my sugars and contributing to weight gain. Things that have always worked for me in the past, are not working now. Hence returning to IP to try and lose weight. But I don't do well with artificial sweeteners. I struck Splenda from my diet a long time ago and am now eating it every day in these products. I just don't do well with the stuff.
I have not up until now needed insulin, but my numbers have really crept up over the last month. I thought they would drop more quickly on IP. I think I may have to stay away from ALL sweet things and all of the starchy like things. I'm not sure what that leaves me with, the omelette.
ouch that is tough...but pretty amazing that you've been able to control it this long without prescriptions!

Sounds like you have an unusual body chemistry, and for that I would highly recommend bringing the diet up with your doctor. For 99% of people, IP works fantastically with little modification, even diabetics. But it sounds like you may be in that 1%, and coupled with a likely metabolic change from perimenopause it would be worth getting some hard medical advice on how to proceed.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:57 AM   #5  

Anyone - how long did it take for your numbers to go down? Did anyone experience their numbers going up for the first week?
Old 01-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #6  

Some people in the low carb community have found blood sugar spikes with whey protein and have found they do better with casein powder because it has more of a time release effect.

Also, powdered Splenda contains maltodextrin and isn't nearly as low carb as people think

I encourage you to read labels carefully on IP products. Some contain sugar and fructose, and since you appear to be very sensitive, may be causing you problems. I saw on another thread your coach has encouraged you to use the diabetic protocol. I hope you'll try it.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 243/150

Height: 5 foot 5 inches

Smile

I am a type 2 diabetic and this is day 5 for me. I am on insulin and metformin and I have already decreased my insulin twice due to low numbers. I hope to be off the meds by the time I finish this journey.
kristiekat is offline   Reply With Quote