Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2015 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 01-01-2015, 05:45 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome cathydoe Welcome

cathydoe

And, even though you've been here for 5 years,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you happen upon our Beck Forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 01-01-2015, 05:46 AM   #3  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Happy New Year

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Danced away the old year, CREDIT moi, at a Contra dance with folks whose ages ranged from a nursing baby to those of gray hair. The nine year olds had the flexible bodies that just didn't stop. I enjoy noticing that my brain remembers the next step to a dance even when I can't. I skipped a dessert social, CREDIT moi, because there would be so much food to tease my best intentions.

Food was best when I was out doing something. It was cold around here - that kind of cold that suggests that a good book in a warm chair is a good idea. I finally finished Francis Crick's book, What Mad Pursuit: A Personal View of Scientific Discovery that I've had from the library since October (twice renewed to the library's limit). I love the book. He relives the first years after DNA was defined while the Genetic Code was explored. Good to be reminded that some marvelous theories can keep researchers pointed in the wrong direction until someone hits on the right idea.

maryann - These views of Dillon Beach will boost my spirit when I'm out in 30 degree weather. Kudos for your clarity in creating "a "peace" savings account that I can draw from when stress happens." What a good reminder that our psyche needs some head room to handle oncoming reality.

Susan (hikergirl) – Yay for a day with a food plan - Kudos.

nationalparker – Enjoying the image of you on the Savannah beach - even if not warm enough to swim. Kudos for leaving the ice cream behind in the old year for a fresh start.

curlypudge - Kudos for a walk in the cold. Neat that you're making a list of healthy foods.

Mountain Mamma - Ouch for 'drive-by snacking' - our unconscious brains sure can reach for food rapidly.

love2garden - Yep, Kudos for on-plan food and exercise both. [I'm a software-systems engineer - work I love dearly. I admire the ability of mechanical engineers to visualize three dimension stuff.]

cathydoe - Kudos for recognizing that you're ready. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

Plan to Eat Out
Here's what you should do to get ready: . . .
  • Anticipate the sabotaging thoughts you might have. You might think, for example, It's okay to eat more than I've planned because ... everyone else is eating a lot/I rarely get to eat these foods/it won't hurt/I can start again tomorrow/I should eat more to get my money's worth. Make Response Cards to read before you go and bring them with you in case you need them. Make sure to review and bring along your Advantages Response Card, too.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 214.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Old 01-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

I feel like a walking cliche, strolling in here on New Year's Day. But, that's better than not showing up at all.

Thanks for all the shout-outs the last few weeks. They definitely make it easier to come back.

I read Success Skill 9 in the green book this morning: Get Back on Track--Right Away. Heh. Should have read that six weeks ago.

That's the last of the Success Skills. I printed copies of the Success Skills 1 Sheet and I'm committed to working through it until I manage seven consecutive days at 100%. I have no expectation that it will happen this week -- any time in the next month or two would be fine. My commitment is to working with the skills, and filling out the sheet, every single day. I made a grid sheet to help me keep track of that. Sheets to keep track of sheets...but I know that works for me.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #6  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

How did I discover the Beck Series....well Bill 5 years ago I was in a game group with you and then recently a thread I am part of came to the 500 mark and u popped in 2 ask us 2 start a new thread....so I checked out your profile and then I looked into the Beck series...wa-la here I am.

I am still very new...u know that new car smell...I still have it!
Old 01-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #7  

I would love to join your group if possible. I have habitually sabotaged any diets that I have tried & have unfortunately gained 60 lbs. I am currently on day 3 & am feeling hopeful. I do have 1 question. Am I supposed to be trying to change my food choices now or wait until I get to the day that I start a diet? TIA.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 2"

Credit: Logged all food today and am short, so I can eat later as I watch football games with DH. Credit: Extra walking in Wallmart since it is so cold outside. Credit: Met old friends who were visiting our Church today and we chose not to eat anything.

WELCOME Elovell! someone will answer your question.

GardenerJoy: Going back to work on skills and truly make them part of our lives sounds like a great move for 2015. I choose similar.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

A good day on plan and a walk as well. One day down, 364 to go!

Welcome Elovell and Cathydoe!

Joy, glad you re-surfaced! Hello, Millie and Hikergirl!

Silverbirch - sorry to hear about the flu. Your running around taking care of relatives leading up to it probably didn't help. Hope you're back to your usual self soon - we need your humor here!

BBE - you're always reading something interesting; think I'll start adding your book titles to my library list.

maryann - pretty crummy someone stole your phone. I didn't even know what 'lost' mode was, but nice to find a kind manager. On the plus side, have a good time at the beach!

karen - good luck with , or should I say, have fun with your company!

NP - Savannah sounds beautiful. Never been. Enjoy!

Happy New Year Everyone!!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #10  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

A good start the year...included my first new car...not a used one...but I'm one who drives it until it's reached up the miles. Current vehicle is 12 years old.

Food was good today, always room for improvement, but much better than yesterday. Another full day on our vacation, and now sister in law wants to go look at the same car, so well see what shakes out of that.

The beach was cold and windy, but restored a piece of my soul, as it always does. I miss nit being close enough to walk there after work.

Elovell - welcome! I think some of us started our healthy eating program earlier than the day beck suggests, but some waited it out. I was too impatient.

Gardenerjoy- good to see you back!!

Posting from phone, so longer note tomorrow...

Last edited by nationalparker; 01-02-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:09 AM   #11  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – On our first bird walk of the year, CREDIT moi, our first birds were a pair of Peregrine Falcons! They're so cool to watch. Seemed to be a courting pair. I hadn't expected much, but we tallied 15 species in two hours. 'Twas a good day for below freezing temps. Out for a walk later it was fun to see stores closed that are always open.

Food was OKish. All the holiday goodies are gone; all the Christmas Eve dinner leftovers are gone. We had dahl for dinner - back to normal eating.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at "'Sheets to keep track of sheets" - good to have your spirit back. I wish this Get-Back-on-Track thing were easier or guaranteed.

nationalparker – Welcome new car! I hope it's a Tesla - an engineer's dream car. Kudos for walking on a cold and windy beach. The ocean is such joy.

janelle (shcirerf) - And Happy New Year to you. Feel free to drop in from time to time as it suits.

Mountain Mamma - Can't do better than "on plan and a walk" - Kudos.

love2garden - Neat to enjoy old friends without needing to eat - we do get friendship and eating mixed up. Kudos for a successful day with room to enjoy football.

cathydoe - The good part of bringing that "new car smell" to the group is that we all need to be reminded of the basics. Looking forward to traveling that path with you. [Yep, that old thread was beyond silly. Remembering the late Gary (EZMONEY) fondly.]

elovell - Feeling hopeful is a great start. My experience with day 3 - Eat Sitting Down was to be astonished that I didn't already. I'd take a bite off my plate even as I was carrying it to the table. Beck is clear that she suggests that one waits until they've worked the basic skills before they start following their food plan. My take is that the value in her suggestion is to force us to focus on learning the stuff that we'll need as it gets difficult rather than wallow in the joy of the first days of dieting - that are usually successful for everyone. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

Plan to Eat Out
Here's what you should do to get ready: . . .
  • Plan how you'll tolerate cravings. What can you say to yourself? What can you do? Review Day 13 to remind yourself of the mindset and behavioral techniques you can use (pages 127-134). For example, if you start craving, you might need to distance yourself from the food by taking a short walk through the restaurant, by going outside, or by going to the restroom to read your Response Cards.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 214.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:09 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome elovell

elovell

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our Beck Forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 01-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #13  
Green Tomatoes

CREDIT for eating slowly, filling out my Success Skills Sheet (I rate myself at about 70%), and using the cheat sheet (from which I learned that things are extremely complicated right now -- but if I stick to the basics like pulling out a 2nd container when the leftovers don't fit in the 1st, I can do better). CREDIT for catching myself a couple of times at not taking 3 deep breaths before I eat -- that's what it will take to reach success in that area.

WI: +0.15 kg (new low), Exercise: +40 40/1200 minutes for January, Food: 70% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, cathydoe and elovell!

elovell: Beck suggests that you wait until you've established some dieting skills before you start changing your food -- although, it will likely start changing on its own when you reach the place where you're planning your food in advance.

Happy New Year, love2garden, Mountain_Mamma, BillBlueEyes and everyone who hasn't checked in for 2015 yet!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #14  

Height: 5' 2"

For day two of 2015, snow flies now and then, very cold, certainly not day to go for a walk. Yesterday's steps in air too cold for my Asthma, has me struggling to breathe today. Not best time to clean house, but it is necessary.

Credit: Breakfast within my diet plan, and smaller amount than usual. Credit; day is planned, Beck cards have been read, and I'm ready to go. Credit: Ate sitting down after blessing and extra deep breath.
Credit: Scale is going down from 2014 high in December.

I didn't see the success Skills sheet in my Beck book, is it in the green one?

National Parker: Walking on the beach especially early before others appear, has always been on my bucket list, but never was able to. Family went to beach when it was near mid day, and crowded, and miserable.

Bill: You really have a great profession! That is a hard one. Explains some of your comments and ability to keep this site updated and locked when time is over.

Mary Ann, hope new phone works out, were you able to keep old number? How did you get the phone so another couldn't use it? What words would I use in a similar situation?

Hope to see the rest of you soon.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
just a quick check in- I am slowly getting back to better eating, working on only one dessert a day instead of multi. I finished all but 4 treats left in my own office space and am dumping the rest (okay, I ate some for lunch, that is my treat for the day!).
Credit for energetic housework over the weekend (inspired by a new playmate coming over for my son- just in case his mom came in the house!) and a walk.
I spent more time sorting through stuff in house than on food plan, but feel good for having done that at least- some tangible change you can see makes me feel much better in general.

Maryann- so sorry about your phone!! good for you for knowing how to shut it down, I would have no clue. hope things are going okay with it all.

Welcome new folks! This forum has been a great resource and folks here are really helpful. Happy New Year, and hooray for new goals, dreams and inspirations!
Closed Thread