Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #1  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

Default Water proof MP3's???

Hey, I'm a swimmer, I just couldn't fall in love with running, but I love swimming and its kept me going to the gym regularly! The only thing I liked more about running was the music! I could plug in headphones and listen to my favourite jams, but not in the pool.

Are there any other swimmers out there that have invested in a water proof MP3? I know they exisit, I googled, but its a new territory for me and I was wondering if anyone has a specific brand they use or recommendations as I'm a little hesitant to buy. The one that looks the most promising to me is a water proof iPod shuffle, but they aren't made by Apple.

I don't have the money right this minute (Christmas and all) but I'm going to start saving my christmas money for one and will hopefully get one next year in late January! (I went into swimming pretty blind and realized I need some other essential gear first... Like a swim cap. And goggles. My eyes burn from the chlorine.)
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Before going that route, how about buying the cheapest ordinary one you can find (I am talking no more than 5 bucks), wrapping it in a couple of small zip lock bags making a tiny hole for the earphone socket that seals down when you put the earphones in and seeing how long it lasts?
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Before going that route, how about buying the cheapest ordinary one you can find (I am talking no more than 5 bucks), wrapping it in a couple of small zip lock bags making a tiny hole for the earphone socket that seals down when you put the earphones in and seeing how long it lasts?
You still have to get waterproof headphones though
And those cost a bit, I think.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #4  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I thought about that,(and ditto faioria on the headphones. They are expensive themselves, but usually come with a water proof MP3 in bundles and cost less. They are much less expensive then the MP3 though.) One of my problems would then be how to attach it to myself in a way that wasn't awkward and hindering my swimming. Swimming is really a full body exercise, there isn't really any part of me that isn't moving or doing something usually. That's why I liked the idea of a water proof MP3, I don't have to worry about ridiculous packaging, just clip it on and go. I should also probably ask the staff at the pool if they have a policy for that sort of thing and if they'd let me bring a ziploced mp3, probably won't care but it wouldn't hurt me to check. Hey, maybe they have suggestions? Never really thought about it until just now. I've never seen anyone at the pool use an MP3 but maybe the staff know something.

Other problem, Has anyone tried just ziploc bagging a cheap MP3? Gosh. It wouldn't like, zap me if it got wet would it?? (Stupid question, sorry but it's honestly one of my concerns)

Last edited by SenseAndSensibility; 12-18-2014 at 06:06 PM.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

I think the biggest "zap" concern would be if you used regular headphones for a non-waterproof mp3 player. The mp3 player alone (without headphones or with proper waterproof ones) would be far more likely to short out internally, without any electricity passing through you.

Personally, I think the best solution to all of this would be to use a set of wireless waterproof headphones. It's easy to seal your phone up in a properly waterproof case, or properly wrap an mp3 player without any holes for leakage. Then you could just tuck it next to your hip under your swimsuit or something, or even lock it to the diving block and leave it on shore.

But, you'd have to find an mp3 player that will work with wireless/bluetooth headphones, or use your phone.

Edit: Found this link which reviews some wireless waterproof headphones

Last edited by faiora; 12-18-2014 at 06:22 PM.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote