PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default Dec 2014 PCOS Support

The old Nov 2014 thread is here.

It is a brand new month! Join us and check in all month as often as you like!

- How's the PCOS?
- How are you?
- What are you working on now?
- How successful were you for past month?

A

Last edited by astrophe; 12-01-2014 at 11:49 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

How's the PCOS?

Um... not sure. Had to change my thyroid meds, and I haven't had a period in a long while. Perimenopause is messing me up. Next labs in Feb so just hanging in there with the changes in meds/routine and hoping labs show improvements.

How are you?

A little worn out, frustrated. My Alzheimer parent was having a mega-cow all last month. So I was in lurker mode here while ramping it up there.

What are you working on now?

Keeping my food log current. I have to -- made it past Thanksgiving without any gain, which is good. Now have to make it through xmas.

I did some new to me recipes to help keep Thanksgiving simple.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ns-recipe.html

That one I loved.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-turkey-breast/

The family loved it. I found it ok -- I prefer my more complex recipe, but I appreciated the ease this year esp with parent wigging out requiring attention. Just rub the soup on, put it in, then broil the skin when it is done to give it color.

How successful were you for past month?

For maintaining during a messy time in family life? Awesome.

Sure would like to lose though.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 12-01-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #3  
Mela A

S/C/G: 270/260.5/135

Height: 5'2"

Astrophe - good for you maintaining in the midst of chaos! My lowest was almost 70 pounds less than I am now, and that gain was all due to chaos in my family and emotional eating because of it. Maintaining is so difficult when emotion is your food trigger!!

- How's the PCOS?
The PCOS is the same. Still been over a year since my last period. It seemed to completely stop when my weight started to sit around 250 so I'm working really hard to get the weight down and desperately waiting for my TOM to come back.

- How are you?
It's a real struggle emotionally to know that my body is not doing the one thing women are supposed to do but with time and effort I'll get it back! My attitude is positive and I know that I can do this.

I'm still working on getting my diet right. The last few days I've really slipped up but I'm going grocery shopping tonight and getting things right again!

I have dropped almost 7 pounds in the last couple weeks so it's been a good start. It's still rough knowing that I'm still in the biggest period of my life but as long as I stay focused, I will never be that big ever again and hopefully someday I'll get my hormones working the right way.

Have a great week my fellow PCOS dieters. I know it feels like banging our heads against a brick wall, but we can do this!
MelaAnaetoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/SeeTicker/160

Hey everyone - how are y'all??

How's the PCOS?
Yall, it is rough this month. I am COVERED in the cysts that are caused by the hidradenitus that I have - which is caused by PCOS. It's hard to walk right now, they're so bad. My acne is awful too. I have MOUNTAINS on my face. I am thinking of talking to my doctor about starting birth control... maybe that will help my acne and it might be nice to have a period every month. I never have one now unless I take Provera to coax it out. I am really ready for this acne to go away and for all these cysts to hit the road too.

How are you?
Well I'm okay! Been getting headaches lately but they're not too bad. I have been making progress in counseling, which is encouraging. I've been spending good time with my friends lately, and I am really enjoying their company. I have lunch plans tomorrow! And I have a busy, full weekend coming up that I am excited about. So I am doing pretty well. Things are good.

I am still working on losing weight - not very hard though because I definitely could be doing better. I am working on finishing this semester, my first semester of graduate school! I don't have that much left to do and I am excited to complete it. On to semester 2!

How successful were you the past month?
I am doing really well in my classes - I am on track to get A's in both of them, which is QUITE the accomplishment knowing my college track record. I didn't do great with losing weight but I am trying to start over now!
amylynnehicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Hang in there with the food, MelaAnaetoh!

I hope you are able to sort out the acne/cysts with a doc, amylynnehicks!

My Check In

Doing ok. Still a bit stressy and not as focused as I'd like. I wish the parents would move to assisted living. Sigh. When my time comes, I hope I'm not this stubborn!

At any rate, I've been food logging all week, and I got some workouts in.

M: treadmill walk
T: stretch

W: skipped walk, no real excuse.
Th: yoga
F: 33 min walk with kid after school

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 12-09-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

- How's the PCOS?
Miserable. No weight changes.

- How are you?
Getting very depressed. Dreading going home for Christmas and having to show my family how fat I got when they just saw me in October. Hating that none of my fat clothes fit now.

Considering going primal or LCHF though it will likely be to no avail.

I was not.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

How's the PCOS?

I think good. I keep getting my periods, most of the other symptoms I get are under control or gone. Weight gain this week because of my travels; but hopefully it'll come off (rather than stay!).

How are you?

Super stressed out. I got 2 massages in less than 2 weeks because my neck and shoulder area was in so much physical pain, I couldn't stand it. And I was grinding my teeth during the day!

The stress is coming from work as we end the year and I go off on vacation and I don't have everything I wanted to do, done. And once I'm off, I won't have much time to work because I'll be with family 24/7 and I won't have time to do it. So... I'm desperately trying to get it done now.

There's also been a lot of politics at work and I'm trying not to get trampled by it.

Eating well, again, post-trip. Losing the water weight. Thinking about changing my doctor's appointment on Monday to January, because I don't want to deal. Finding ways to relax and not stress out.

I'm really finding my time is so limited recently. Where did it go??? I use to have time to lay around and watch movies and be bored... now?! It's gone.

How successful were you for past month?

I think November was okay. Not great. I could have done better (but I always think that) and I'm wondering if I should do a Whole30 in January once the craziness of the holidays is over. Not to lose weight necessarily, but to get my head back in the right place.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #8  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynnehicks View Post
I am COVERED in the cysts that are caused by the hidradenitus that I have - which is caused by PCOS.

I had never heard this... Is this what your doctor told you? I do not have this diagnosis, PCOS, but I definitely have HS, which I thought the cause was unknown...

I guess I'm kind of confused because men get HS too.

Can you share anything that your doctor told you about the connection? I'm very curious.

Last edited by DrivenByAmbition; 12-07-2014 at 09:58 AM.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Just a quick check in.

Took the elders out -- they seemed to enjoy it. But I'm super tired now, and need to rest.

My plan of MWF walk and TR yoga worked out ok last week. Only one miss. So I will be shooting for same this week:

Mon: Walk
Tues: Yoga
Wed: Walk
Thurs: Yoga
Fri: Walk
Weekends: Rest or make up a workout

I kept up the food log, and my meds as best I could. Not always in range, but mostly. The outcome was I lost 2 lbs. Which is encouraging. Some might be sodium bloat or something, since its early days still, but encouraging nonetheless. I will try to stick with it for this coming week and check in when it is over.

Hope you guys are hanging in there!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 12-10-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Quick check in.

Argh. Lost track of my stuff. I am having a lot of brain fog, and a lot of hair loss. I don't think my hypothyroid meds are right. I feel WEIRD.

Doing what I can, and have a doc appt in feb. Trying to call and see what can be done by phone over the wacky holiday hours.

Feeling discouraged today. Meh.

A.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Quick check in.

So far I have maintained through holiday gatherings within 1-2 lbs. I think that's mostly sodium bloat, and I can live with that. Woot! Have New Year's to go, so hoping I keep maintaining!

A.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 280/213/140

Height: 5'7

Hello all, new here. Best of luck to you all in the new year!

- How's the PCOS?
Not sure. I was diagnosed in 2004 and quickly lost medical access. Next month I will see a doctor for the first time in about 8 years! Not sure what to ask.

- How are you?
Hanging in there. A lot of changes and tragedies have occurred lately and I am severely depressed, but fighting!

Starting on the right foot with my diet and exercise. No more excuses, cheating, and lying to myself constantly.

No success yet, but that will change!
Iphyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #13  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Welcome!

This might help you when you see your doc. It's a PCOS faq.

https://www.inciid.org/PCOS-FAQ

I'm still hanging in there, cleaning out the fridge today and trying to get rid of the holiday eats still hanging around.

A.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #14  
Fellow cyster!

S/C/G: 170/170/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Coming back!

It's been a long time! Glad to be coming back to this forum!

- How's the PCOS?
Managed as usual with Metformin and birth control. Since I've been gone, I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and I'm now taking Synthroid. Took a while to get a decent dosage, but for right now it's good, and as of my last check, I have optimal TSH levels

- How are you?
I'm okay. Even though all my metabolic issues seem to be "under control," my weight hasn't decreased much. That's what I need to focus on now.

My diet. Low carb.

Not successful at all diet-wise, especially with the holidays and all. But January will be a new month!
claristotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #15  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ml#post5111748

Join us on the Jan Thread!

A.