Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #1  

Default Question about IP Diet cost and where to do it

How much, on average, do you spend on the diet per week/month? Also does anyone do it "off book" as in not through a physician. My psyciatrist told me about it and a doctor who does it in his building, but not sure my insurance will cover it. Does yours?
silksmybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #2  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Insurance will not cover IP to my knowledge. LOTS of dieters on here do IP using alternatives and NO clinic. If I were to do it again, I think I would've skipped the actual IP clinic myself because I did not have a strong coach.

Moneywise: THere is a "start-up cost" which covers an inital starters sampling pack of food, vitamins and supplements, shaker, and salt. The cost per packet of food at my clinic was $4. If you are under 200lbs, that means you will be eating 3 packs of IP food a day. Once you pay the initial fee, you should only ever be paying for food at your clinic.....the prices are inflated to cover the coaching.

Best advice I have to RESEARCH the quality of the coach you will see as they range HUGELY. There is nothing wrong with asking for a consultation before you decide to commit to the program. You should find out how long they have been coaching, what they do at each visit (measuring, weighing, looking at your food journal, problem solving, etc), and especially how knowledgeable they are at doing this plan LONG TERM. P1 is easy (at least logistically)....it's living the change permanantly that requires the most diverse knowledge.

If you decide to do it yourself, use the "IP using alternatives" threads (they are stickied I believe) to find out what products you can use and get the actual IP protocol sheets. I would also suggest enlisting a "coach" of your own (family member or friend who can weigh you weekly and measure you as that will give you accountability and insentive).

Join the IP Daily chat thread for TONS of support!
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #3  

evemomma summed it up nicely.

The only thing I have to add: I needed the accountability of facing the coach every week to drop 90 lbs. I used a coach for approximately 10 months. I really wish I'd have stuck with her through all the phases and into maintenance but I "fired" her when I returned from vacation and never heard from her.

I committed to the expense of IP as part of my commitment to my own health. If I was totally honest, it didn't cost any more than the crap food I was eating (sneaking/hiding), including impromptu stops at drive-thrus and snacks picked up at convenience stores and gas stations. None of that was good for me and it is costly, as well (in more than just money terms). Plus the beer and other drinks I was consuming.

My insurance didn't pay for any of it, although I've heard of people being able to use their cafeteria-plan medical spending account for the start-up cost, if the clinic has their card reader coded right (mine didn't). Insurance won't pay for the food, nor would my 125 cafeteria plan card allow payments for the food.

If you think you can do the plan without the accountability of facing your IP coach at a clinic every week, then do so! Links to the protocol sheets are available on the Daily (weekend) Chat thread in the first post. Take some time to read the whole Alternative Product thread, which will educate you in which non-IP products are available and which ones people like.

Good luck to you!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #4  
10/19/14 P1

S/C/G: 296.5/215.6/199>

Height: 5'8.5" -- 53 yr

Silks, I would only add one thing.

If you have significant health issues, it may be important to have a coach/doctor on your team. In my situation having had multiple strokes and other chronic health issues long before my weight was a factor, my cardiologist's office has their own IP staff and monitor my labs and medications every 15 to 20 pounds.

Of course, if you don't have a significant amount to lose either this wouldn't be as important either.

I am relatively new to 3FC, but you will find a great deal of knowledge and support from everyone here.

Best of luck!!
Permission2Succeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/225/140

Height: 5"4'

Do you ever need to pay for the coach or see the doctor to talk about practice?
Snickbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #6  
10/19/14 P1

S/C/G: 296.5/215.6/199>

Height: 5'8.5" -- 53 yr

In my case, there is a $5 weight-in and consult fee with the coach on staff -- which I think with the price of the food it's a rip off, but considering I feel like they will pay better attention to my health so that is worth something. As for the doctor, no it is handled through my insurance just like any other medical visit, as are the labs.
Permission2Succeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

The food on its own costs about $80-$100 per week. Clinics charge different start up fees, but on average I've seen them fall around $200-300 start-up including the initial work-up and first week of food. It's an expensive diet and not generally covered by insurance.

There are ways to do it with "off-brand" products, if you can maintain your own accountability many of us follow the program without a clinic and use the off brand stuff. Some people need the accountability of a weekly appointment at a clinic to be the most successful they can. If you decided to go that route, there is an entire thread on Alternative products linked in the Daily chat, it's a few YEARS of information complied about off brand products, where to buy...worth taking the time to read.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 213/201/185

Height: 5'11"

Funny, i bet IP cost me well over $10,000. That is once you factor in the new wardrobe i had to buy. I used to make fun of my wife for buying so many clothes, but I surpassed her. I think even my feet are 1/2 a size smaller not.

That was money I was happy to spend.

Last edited by MDLoser; 12-18-2014 at 11:11 AM.
MDLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #9  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLoser View Post
Funny, i bet IP cost me well over $10,000. That is once you factor in the new wardrobe i had to buy. I used to make fun of my wife for buying so many clothes, but I surpassed her. I think even my feet are 1/2 a size smaller not.

That was money I was happy to spend.
YES!!!

And your feet probably ARE smaller. The first time I did IP I went from a snug size 9 to a comfy size 8 1/2 shoe. Not only do you lose some fat around your feet, but when there's that much less weight pressing down on your arches, your feet don't spread out as much.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/247/150

Height: 5' 2"

Not sure if this is helpful - I just started today and am going to a clinic that also has an online "version" - they have weekly calls with clients (the same woman I meet with in person). Their site is http://www.sustainweightlosssolution.com. They used to do IP but found clients preferred the taste and cost of Sustain products better. Best of luck to you!
batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #11  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl View Post
Not sure if this is helpful - I just started today and am going to a clinic that also has an online "version" - they have weekly calls with clients (the same woman I meet with in person). Their site is http://www.sustainweightlosssolution.com. They used to do IP but found clients preferred the taste and cost of Sustain products better. Best of luck to you!
Just a heads up - the "Sustain" brand is just Health Smart and Weight Loss Systems products (the "Alternatives" you see referenced often on this forum) that have been privately labeled. I'm not sure what they charge per box, but these are the same products that many of us buy through Nashua Nutrition for about $11.95 per box.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/247/150

Height: 5' 2"

Default !?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Just a heads up - the "Sustain" brand is just Health Smart and Weight Loss Systems products (the "Alternatives" you see referenced often on this forum) that have been privately labeled. I'm not sure what they charge per box, but these are the same products that many of us buy through Nashua Nutrition for about $11.95 per box.
I'm so glad you said this. I was kind of wondering about that... I saw some of the food names and thought they looked familiar. (I have been reading and researching trying to learn on this site for almost a year now.)

I told myself I will at least meet with them for 6-8 weeks. I need the weekly meeting with a stranger who will hold me accountable. I figure if, at that point, I have been successful in losing and maintaining compliance, I can branch off on my own. This board seems to be nearly all the support one needs! Thanks again!
batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #13  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl View Post
I'm so glad you said this. I was kind of wondering about that... I saw some of the food names and thought they looked familiar. (I have been reading and researching trying to learn on this site for almost a year now.)

I told myself I will at least meet with them for 6-8 weeks. I need the weekly meeting with a stranger who will hold me accountable. I figure if, at that point, I have been successful in losing and maintaining compliance, I can branch off on my own. This board seems to be nearly all the support one needs! Thanks again!
No problem! I totally get the need for accountability, and it's awesome that you can get that and still use the less expensive products - but I can attest to the fact that this forum is a great place to get accountability when you feel you are ready to "go rogue"....I did 3 months on IP with a clinic and then switched to alternatives and used this forum as my coach, stayed on IP an additional 4 months and lost over 70lbs total!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #14  

Hi,
I just posted a reply on another heading from someone that is unhappy with their IP coach. Horrible.

Anyway, I realize that we are all different and some people need medical advise and others need to be weighted in to be accountable to someone.

I did it on my own in 2010. I went on the tran tien diet site (where IP got their info from) I purchased some good protein powder and ate the real food, that is recommended on his site. I played around with the food a little, found out that eggs are good and split the meat protein up between lunch and dinner. I lost 70 pounds in 4 months.

I just restarted the diet plan last week, as I slid into eating indiscriminately again and have gained some weight back. Have lost 6 pounds in 5 days, and not starving.

I clock my self on a calendar and post signs all over the place...anything to keep the motivation going.

Between the cost of the protein powder, the food and vitamins, I spend about $200/$250 month. Make friends with spinach and cauiflower.

I believe that any support that you need will be found on this site!

Merry Christmas
waterstar is offline   Reply With Quote