UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/256/140

Height: 5ft 4

Default UK women! What's your weight and dress size? Am I weird? 15st and a size 14.

I'm 5ft 4, and a few years ago I weighed 15st, which is my first "mini" goal as I'm currently 18 1/2 stone. At 15st, I was a comfortable UK size 14. Is that weird? I mean, I've looked at other dress size/weight threads and even the tall women weren't at a 14 at 210lbs! I apparently was muscular under all the fat, I was/am freakishly strong and I appeared "smaller" than I was (people guessed I weight more like 12 or 13st. I guess that's why even tight or small 14s fitted me? The muscularity? See, I didn't regularly work out though or do any sport/exercise. What gives? Can people be "naturally" muscular? Btw, I have a large frame. My wrist is 7.5inches around! Very large frame.

I was just curious what your weight and corresponding dress size is and if there's anyone like me out there who's around 15st and a UK size 14? My goal size is 10/12, I'm guessing I'd only have to lose another 20-30lbs to get down to that. However, I'll still be very very overweight for a 5ft 4 woman at 180lbs. What should I do? Keep losing until I'm a healthy BMI?
Violeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #2  

anyone?
Old 11-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #3  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Whilst not officially a UK chick, I visit a lot and have spent long periods there in the past so I'll jump in. You know vanity sizing is real and so your size can also be a function of where you shop I'm going to try and include store names with the weights and sizes because it can vary.

I started all the way at 19st 9 and I was in a UK22/24 and more a generously cut Evans 24 than a M&S biggest size 24.

Around 15st, I was comfortably in a size 18 in most stores even girlishly-sized ones like H&M, Warehouse and Oasis and I could just about fit into a size 16 in stores with more generous sizing like Peacock, New Look or DP.

Now at about 12st 12, I'm mostly a size 14 in most stores (M&S, Zara, Mango, Monsoon, Next, Oasis, River Island etc) although in girlishly-sized stores like Topshop, Miss Selfridge, Warehouse, Reiss, and H&M, I can be a 16. On the converse side, at a store like New Look or DP or Peacocks, I'm a 12.

At my lowest which I maintained for about a year before regaining 40 lbs, I was about 10st 11- 11st and I wore a size 12 across board in almost all stores (maybe a 14 in SOME styles in the abovementioned girlishly-sized stores) and a size 10 in the more generously-sized stores.

I hope this helps. Ultimately, the most important thing is to wear what feels comfortable and suits you. IF you're lucky enough to be a size 14 at 15stone- own it and be happy. Maybe you have a higher lean body mass or something. That's awesome.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 12-11-2014 at 06:13 AM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

I am in Canada so sizing is probably different.

At ~180 lbs in high school (13 stone) I was a lean size ~10. I'm 5'10 and I'm also very large framed (8" wrists if you want to go by that, but I have 8.3 lbs of bone in my body, and my husband who is the same height has 5.8 lbs, which is closer to average). So although I'm 6 inches taller than you, I think I understand where you're coming from. I wasn't inactive throughout life, but I never lifted weights or anything either. (Note: Cardio actually reduces lean mass, I've read recently)

At 15 stone, I believe I'd gone up to a size 14 (although I can't remember for certain). And by 21 stone - my max weight - I wasn't even sure. I've gotten new pants since then and I think they were size 18 from the plus sized section at Nordstrom. They're loosening up a little now.

If you're strong and you weigh that much and your measurements are good and you don't carry all your fat in your waist, then you can be pretty sure it's lean mass. If you want to be sure you can find out your body composition, either through pinch tests at a gym, a DXA scan, or other methods (the home scales aren't great but some places do a water weighing test that's good). That would tell you what your percentage body fat is, which is a far better indicator of health than BMI or measurements alone.

The nice thing is, you don't have to worry too much about losing some lean mass along with fat, if you have lots of it. In fact, it's the only way you're likely to get a long, lean look. So if you want that look I'd say, do cardio, burn as much as you can.

If your goal is to be healthy, you do NOT want to target a healthy BMI, because that doesn't work for people with a lot of lean mass. You want to target a healthy body fat percent. Think of it this way: Weightlifters might have very little fat on them, but if they stepped on a scale it would look like they were obese, for their height. You might not be a weightlifter but if you have more lean mass than average, you need to take that into account.

You will probably lose some lean mass while losing weight, and the faster you lose, the more lean mass you'll lose. If you lose more lean mass you will weigh less when you get into a healthy body composition range (because you'll have less fat and less lean mass)... but having less lean mass also means you don't get to eat as much, because lean mass is what burns calories all on its own while you're sleeping or being lazy. So really it's up to you as to where you set your goals.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #5  
No excuses

S/C/G: 136/ticker/116

I bought a UK size 14 in 2009 so I was about 8 stone.
Right now I'm almost 10 stone and wear a 18-20

Albeit I'm Canadian and don't buy a lot of European and UK clothing.
AmethystJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #6  

thanks for all your responses! don't know canadian/uk size conversions
Old 11-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 207/121/128

Height: 5'5"

I wear a US 8, UK 12, but I have a super tiny frame. I'm 10 stone 6 ish. Yet still have a biggish belly, which must be my last 19 lbs. Since I'm Anglo-American, I buy clothes in both places, and know both types of size distinctions. I think you're probably likely to just be lucky enough to be more muscular than most.
DLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violeta View Post
thanks for all your responses! don't know canadian/uk size conversions
http://www.asknumbers.com/ClothingWomensConversion.aspx

It looks like you just shift the number down by 2 for US sizing, which is what we use in Canada. So, I wore a UK size 12 (US size 10) when I was 13 stone.

I'm not sure if it's the same in the UK, but a lot of US sizing moves around, so I would fit into a US size 8 sometimes and a 10 other times. US stores purposefully mark the sizes down so you feel better about yourself and buy their clothes... which is annoying when you're trying to find something that actually fits.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #9  

I am super strong so that would explain it.

Thanks for the sizing conversion!
Old 12-02-2014, 05:57 AM   #10  
New Healthy Mum

S/C/G: 229/145.5/141

Height: 5ft8

I am British born though I have lived in Portugal for a few years and still shop online at places like Next, M&S etc so I understand the sizes well.

I am a bit taller than you at 5ft8 and currently weigh 12st11.5 and would say that I am borderline for fitting into a size 14 bottoms and fit into them naturally on my top half.

The thing is its all down to muscle and the water we all carry around with us. I remember when I was a size 10 to be one I had to weigh about 8st10-9st where as friends of the same height could do so at 10stone.

When I was 15 stone (around the beginning of my weight loss journey) I was a size 18/20 where as if I had been short with my build I am sure I would have to be a size 24 on the same weight.

I have also found that with my BMI that if I am a size 10 again (well I can dream) then I would have a BMI that is in the underweight category - yet I consider a size 10 to be normal!
sammymilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 207/121/128

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiora View Post
http://www.asknumbers.com/ClothingWomensConversion.aspx

It looks like you just shift the number down by 2 for US sizing, which is what we use in Canada. So, I wore a UK size 12 (US size 10) when I was 13 stone.

I'm not sure if it's the same in the UK, but a lot of US sizing moves around, so I would fit into a US size 8 sometimes and a 10 other times. US stores purposefully mark the sizes down so you feel better about yourself and buy their clothes... which is annoying when you're trying to find something that actually fits.
Sorry, but the numbers on this chart are wrong. I suggest you go to a regular fashion retailer to get the correct size conversions. Liberty and Net a Porter are my resources, that and the fact that I know what I wear.
DLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: H~285... 260/ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm not in the UK, so i don't know about the "stones" lol... But I have wondered about sizes. I guess it's all in how you carry your weight. I was in a size 18 pants for a long time, ended up skipping size 16, and was in a 14 between 210 and 190 pounds. I'm now wearing baggy 12s in the low 170s, should be in a 10 but I'm holding off for now and just wearing a belt.

I'm not sure what this says about my body. It seems weird that I'd be a size 10/12 at 170 pounds. But of course this would vary by brand too...

Last edited by Beka; 12-07-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Beka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #13  
funny mummy

S/C/G: 166/150/130

Height: 5ft 6"

Late here but thought id respond anyway. I'm UK, currently 10st 11lb and wear a size 12 mostly but also some 10's.
Lilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 164/158/137

Height: 5'5

I'm currently 11st 9lbs and a size 14-16. I have seen people larger than me who also say they are a size 14, which I find weird.

I think (rant time) it's to do with my chest.. no matter what size I am, I have a disproportionately large chest so always have to go up sizes because nothing fits It suuucks.
Kitkat1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Re: conversions, I've observed a difference of 4 between UK and US sizes on most labels that list both. In other words, a UK size 12 corresponds to a US size 8.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote