Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #1  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Default Study shows there are many ways to lose weight

This is probably the wrong section for this but I wasn't sure where it belonged. Over the weekend I had some free time to read and found a great study with the full text available.

Here is a great meta study done last year. The full text is available and isn't too tough to read.

Clicky

Here is a quote from the study's author -

"Data from meta-analyses of dietary intervention trials suggest that some weight-loss diets, such as low-carbohydrate diets, low-GI/GL diets, and the Mediterranean diet, might be alternatives to conventional low-fat diets, especially for short-term weight loss, but have great variability of long-term effects. Moreover, the difference in weight loss among these diets is only 1–2 kg or less, which appears to be of little clinical significance. Thus, overweight and obese people can choose many different weight-loss diets
on the basis of their personal preferences."

In other words, there are many ways to lose weight and people can choose from them based on which one they prefer to follow.

Crazy right?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Clicky

Here is a quote from the study's author -

"Data from meta-analyses of dietary intervention trials suggest that some weight-loss diets, such as low-carbohydrate diets, low-GI/GL diets, and the Mediterranean diet, might be alternatives to conventional low-fat diets, especially for short-term weight loss, but have great variability of long-term effects. Moreover, the difference in weight loss among these diets is only 1–2 kg or less, which appears to be of little clinical significance. Thus, overweight and obese people can choose many different weight-loss diets
on the basis of their personal preferences."

In other words, there are many ways to lose weight and people can choose from them based on which one they prefer to follow.

Crazy right?
Yep Crazy - as in we are all Crazy Different!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Makes sense to me. Duh. The right way to eat is the way that feels appropriate to your own body. This is not rocket science.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
but have great variability of long-term effects.
That's the real story. Not all diets are the same. The Med is best.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #5  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

The same plan doesn't seem to work the same for me every time...thank goodness there are many choices!

kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
"Data from meta-analyses of dietary intervention trials suggest that some weight-loss diets, such as low-carbohydrate diets, low-GI/GL diets, and the Mediterranean diet, might be alternatives to conventional low-fat diets, especially for short-term weight loss, but have great variability of long-term effects.
I'm with IanG on this one. This statement, sneakily hiding in the middle of the quote, is an important one.

Personally, I am choosing to eat more protein to avoid loss of lean mass as I lose fat. I'm not going super-low-carb, but I'm eating plenty of fat with my protein. So for me, I chose a diet that suits my personal goals.

I think if someone is trying to lose more lean mass along with their fat, and become healthy with a higher activity level than I have, a combination of carbs and cardio are probably helpful and will maintain energy levels.

So in my mind it's all about priorities. Different diets will work for different people because we all have our own lifestyles and our own goals. The trick is finding the one that suits us best, which can sometimes get us into trouble.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Edited... Nevermind my original comment.

Interesting link!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 12-01-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #8  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I think it's great that we do have choice. What may have worked in the past, we may want to switch up. The hard part is if one was to abandon that way of eating. Lifestyle has to stay the same, small portions, exercise, etc.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'6"

Actually, there's only only one way to lose weight - energy deficit!

What's interesting coming out from the review is the section on studies of genetic responses to certain diets eg high protein, low carb, high fat, high carb etc. It appears that particular individuals with particular genes respond better or poorer to specific diets with various levels of macro composition - at least on a short term basis.

Unfortunately, there were no studies that tracked subjects beyond the two year mark. IMO, long term maintenance is the key to identifying whether a particular diet is the "right" diet for an individual or whether the individual gives up the diet and moves on to another type (whether or not a resultant weight gain/loss/maintenance occurs).
magical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #10  
Yes.

Very interesting read, sometimes too many choices can get overwhelming.
Forseir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 82/70.5/70kg

Height: 165cm

Quote:

Crazy right?
My father used to tell me of a diet that there is a way loose 3 pounds in an instant and permanently keep it off. He told me to cut off my head, while technically correct not a preferred option.

PLEASE NOTE: CUTTING OFF YOUR HEAD MAY RESULT IN DEATH.
dimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 2"

Dimmers Your Father's words will be remembered whenever I think "I'd do anything to get some pounds off."

My life style change is to kick out sweets and pull in more lean protein, nuts and veggies without heavy sauces. Very, very slowly I'm becoming a bit lighter.
love2garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:33 PM   #13  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

ha! my son is the tallest kid in his class and therefore weighs more than his tiny counterparts. He started getting down and told me he was the heaviest (even though his BMI is great) and I said in an annoyingly cheery voice "well, let's just chop you off at the knees and you will be their same height and weight!" He's like "uh never mind!"
Dairy Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote