I read about it in a magazine 3 10.71%
I found information about it while surfing on the WWW 3 10.71%
Other 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 10:14 PM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Talking

This is the SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIP & CHAT AT 9:15PM EST
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FACTS

Please visit our NEWEST BIO BOARD where you can learn more about everyone who is on this board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...4143#post34143

Please make sure you post your BIO on the NEWEST VERSION of our BIO BOARD everyone!!!!

Our MAY 2001 RECIPE BOARD can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=4770

We have FIVE INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often-make sure to visit our newest board, MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS at the link below:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2342

THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2344

THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2365[/url

MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2359

and our newest board MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=5005

We also now have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=4994

WANT TO POST YOUR WEEKLY WEIGHT LOSS INFO and BE COUNTED in our weekly totals of pounds lost?? Go to the WEEKLY WEIGH IN BOARD BELOW to post your stats!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=4995

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit NEW REPLY NOT NEW THREAD then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. Also, when the board gets to the 2nd & 3rd page, sometimes it may take a little longer for your message to appear, you can refresh your browser, or wait, but it will show up! If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!
Old 05-07-2001, 06:08 AM   #2  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

GOOD MONDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Another week is upon us-the time just seems to be flying by lately.

I hope everyone had a great weekend, mine was quiet and uneventful-not such a bad thing

It was interesting to see last weeks poll. Chocolate and Ice Cream were tied for top place. One of you wonderful woman wanted FRUIT that wasn't on program, and two put OTHER - if you don't mind revealing yourselves, I'd love to know just what OTHER is Potatoes did quite well on the poll-those carbs really seem to hold a dear place in our hearts

I started our newest board MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS LINK. Just click on the this link and it will take you straight to this board. Hope this link will be helpful to everyone.

It's Monday, which means it's MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY and this is my contribution, I thought it was really good and definitely worth sharing:

ALL THE WAY

Success requires that you go the distance. Results depend not only on what you start to do, but on what you complete. Accomplishment depends not on what you intend to do, but on what you actually get done.

Wishing, hoping, planning, and trying will not by themselves get you there. Your persistence, your commitment, your actions are what will bring the success you seek.

The world is full of those with great ideas and big plans. Unfortunately, too many of those ideas are never fully explored. Too many of those plans are never completely implemented.

Dream big dreams. Make big plans. And then take the actions which will make those dreams a reality. Give real time and effort to your best intentions and you'll transform them into accomplishment.

-- Ralph Marston

Eli is off today, well, he has to go in to another store for about a half hour and I'll read a book while he's there, maybe get some Wild Orange Tea while I wait. Then probably off to Broward for lunch and some Carbolite.

I'll check in with you all later. I have a meeting at the school tonight, so if not before, definintely after EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Debbie
194/13?/129
SB since 3/22/00

Last edited by Debelli; 05-07-2001 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:24 AM   #3  

Happy Monday Everyone

Here is my motivational saying for the week.

Envision your life as a grain of sand on the beach. A grain of sand can move unnoticed to the eye. Use this concept when you want to do something but you are afraid. Your action can go unnoticed to anyone else but you. If you never act in life you will always settle to react. Learn to take control of your life or life will take control over you

Today is my hubby's b'day. We're having grilled steaks, fresh asparagus, twice baked potatos (his favorite so I will abstain), cake and ice cream (once again his favorite but I won't risk the sugar). I took today off to be with him while the kids are at school. We hope to have a nice quiet day and eat lunch out somewhere nice.

The weather here has been pretty but we are due for a storm late tonight.

I'm doing fine on SB. Went walking yesterday even though I wasn't in the mood. Told myself I would walk 1 mile and ended up running/walking 3 miles.

Debbie: Thanks for all you do. This board is a great tool that really keeps us going. I know it helps you but you need to understand that it is the difference between success and failure for a lot of other people. Thanks.

Gotta run.

Anna
222/137/140
Old 05-07-2001, 09:28 AM   #4  

Good Monday morning everyone

Hope you all had a good weekend. Mine was good even though I had to work. Had a little free time to read some posts. My weight has stayed down so far this week, hovering between 200/201 lbs. I am willing it to get below that 200 mark.

Debbie - Sorry to hear your plans for visiting Canada are on hold. Whenever you do get up here I hope I can meet you. I was one of the "Others" on the poll. My favorite non SB food is french fries. O.K. I know these are made from potatoes but I don't crave baked potatoes, boiled potatoes or any other spud only french fries. I want to echo what Beachfan says about the work you do for this board and thank you for all the effort you put into it.

Nancemeister - I liked the idea of the chart you made. Sounds a bit like the height chart I used to use for the kids, except this one is moving down not up!

Melf - I hope you enjoyed your days off. Glad to hear you are down 3 lbs. It was good to hear that you took your Mom on an outing from the Nursing Home and she had a good time.

Lisa - Hope you had a good time at the "Mom and Me" campout.

Fillise - It sounds like your Derby party was fun.

BOB - Congrats on being 1 month no smoking. Way to go Girl!

Chris - Those muffins sound delicious. The reason I very rarely bake anymore is because I would probably end up eating most of them if there was no one else around to eat them. I always hated to waste anything that I had spent time baking. That was a bit of luck finding the bird cage so quickly. I had a similar experience when I needed a fish tank. I very rarely went to garage sales - my dh always said we had enough of our own junk without buying somebody elses. Anyway the first place I went to that morning had exactly what I was looking for, and cheap too.

Kim - Glad you were successful in finding a dress for the wedding. It can be frustrating sometimes trying to find something suitable. I hope you have a good time at the wedding.

Beachfan - It was interesting to read your story and how things have changed for you since starting this woe. Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a good day celebrating your hubby's birthday.

Aces - Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your foot. I've had heel spurs and know how painful they can be. Have you thought of swimming for exercise? This would be easier on your foot than any weight-bearing exercise.

Well have to go. Have some chores to finish before heading out to the shops and then on to badminton this afternoon.

Have a good SB day everyone

Bye

Marie.
Old 05-07-2001, 09:48 AM   #5  

Default A QUICKIE....I'm at work

GOOD MONDAY MORNING EVERYBUDDY

Nancy....please don't feel that way...you'll learn in time I don't always answer, that's not a personal thing...I have every intention of doing so and then when I get to clicking those fingers, well....sometimes I just forget...I think I'm wonder woman when it comes to remembering everything that everyone posts! I will start writing down
as I go and try my best not to miss anyone again...
As for my beginning weight...I don't post it because I'm just not comfortable in doing so. I never have and maybe one day I will...as I told Barb...this will be the first place I go public with it....

ATTENTION ALL YOU REAL NEW AND RECENTLY NEWBIES
You will find from time to time that I am a very verbal woman. Please don't take anything personal..I tend to speak my mind and if I step on toes in the process, I'll humbly bow in advance

I picked up a book this weekend written by Dorothy Gault-McNemee, MD called GOD'S DIET....basically, she
advocates "if GOD didn't make it....DON'T EAT IT"
Very interesting read so far and some good recipes that I will pass along.
I like her thinking...the very first paragraph reads "Now, if you want to spend good money for this book, go ahead. BUT if you understand the chapter title, spend your money for something else."
"I've made this book short for two reasons: because the concept is so easy it doesn't need a long book, and because I want you to read the book and change your like."
In the past, she was a believer in PHEN-PHEN and gave it to her patients who asked. SHe herself was heavy and had been on every fad diet since she was thirteen.
She was just tired of the rollercoaster that most of us have ridden all of our lives.
Her food plan advocates only what she calls "real food"
and no processed food at all....AND BREAD???? here's what she says: "When you start getting into bread, tortillas, and pasta you probably think you are okay. I
contend that for us chubs, those things are NOT OKAY. I believe that sugar and flour are our enemies. I also think the are addictive.

SMART WOMAN....

BACK TO WORK....I'll catch all of you on the flip side

BOB
Old 05-07-2001, 10:10 AM   #6  
Goddess

Default Good Monday Morning!

I am slowly recovering and de-toxing from Saturday. Big orange--you are right about all the sugar in all the drinks we consumed--like I said the WORST possible drinks for Sugar busters! But interestingly, I found myself anxiously anticipating my sugar-free foods.

This year my hat wasn't really a hat. I've really taken the philosophy of the Sweet Potato Queens to heart. So this year I wore a tiarra to which I had wired roses and ivy--and proclaimed myself the Queen of the Derby! It was quite stunning, if I do say so myself. But, alas, there are no pictures and I do not allow cameras at Derby Day--far too dangerous! My guests do compete to see who can make the most outrageous hat and over the years we have had some doozys!

But today is Monday and I am relieved to be getting the sugar hit out of my system. I'm going to have to think about a tip for today--will get back to you on that. I hope everyone has a good week--ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!

Susan
Still not weighing till Wednesday
Old 05-07-2001, 10:41 AM   #7  
Wife, Mother, Goddess

Happy Monday! Is there such a thing? One of these days I hope I can be an at home Mom and not have to get up and go to work on Mondays!

Beachfan37
Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful day. Your dinner sounds yummy! I am also planning to tak my Hubby's B-day off in June. It should be illegal to have to work on your birthday! Have a great time!

Rosalie
I was laughing at the "growth" chart. We used to have a wall in my Mom's kitchen where everyone got to mark their heigth. I was really disappointed when we moved out of the house, she painted over it...It was part of our living family history! I bought some new jazzy stickers for my weight chart, with positive sayings. I figure each time I loose I get to slap a sticker on it!

BOB
I was just giving you a hard time. One thing you can't "hear" over the computer is my sarcasim. I like giving people a hard time, and you seem to have a great sense of humor! What do you do in medical?
Don't worry about posting your weight. To each his own. I was just curious. The whole world (my family)
knows how much I weigh now since I put my poster up in my bathroom. Oh well, I know they can tell by looking at me that I'm no Heather Locklear, but I needed to have something to chart my progress!

Quilter
Made your "Beef Stroganoff"last night. Everyone loved it! We all decided we like ww pasta alot better than
the white startchy stuff which is a relief when it comes to pleasing the kids! I am going to take your tip and try cooking the meat in the crockpot ahead of time, and see how it turns out! Delicious!

ldblond
Are you back in the Coachella Valley yet or what? GIve me a call at work, or I'll bug you. How about lunch sometime this week? Hope your seminar didn't put you to sleep!

Well....I haven't found anything "motivational" to post as of yet. You are all my motivation right now! I need to plan a day ahead of time, instead of trying to scramble before heading off to work. Hope you all have a great day, and I'll be checking in later!
Old 05-07-2001, 11:09 AM   #8  

Susan: OH FOR A PICTURE OF YOU IN THE CROWN! I so miss my Derby parties..As you can tell, down here not too many people follow the horses....I have managed to promote the "DERBY POT" every year since I've been here....almost fourteen years and I still haven't won the pot yet!!!! But I keep on collecting....

Nancy: we are too much alike.....that can be scarey!
I'm the queen of sarcasim....just ask DEB....
I do auth/certs verification of benefits.....in other words
INSURANCE....it's a nasty topic....but someone has to do it!

BACK TO THE GRIND...
BOB
Old 05-07-2001, 11:09 AM   #9  

Good morning!

Well, the "Mom & Me" campout was a big success. We packed so much into 24 hrs.....I was totally exhausted when we got home! Went straight to bed and took a 3 hr. nap. It was certainly not a SB weekend; however, I did get in more exercise than usual w/all the hiking, canoeing, etc.....

I weighed this morning and was down about a pound from last week, so hopefully I can still have some good results by Wednesday. I've been reading everyone's posts this morning and really enjoying them. It's so great to get to know all of you terrific people and share what's going on w/our lives. It makes this new WOE a lot easier!

Someone mentioned not having migraines anymore since becoming sugar free.....I agree! I used to have terrible headaches and have not had one since cutting out the sugar.

I'm going to the beach on Thursday night after Ross's game w/my sisters. WOOHOO!!! We are so lucky to live in the same town and have the relationship we do. They are truly my best friends. We've all agreed to bring healthy foods to eat, so hopefully I can stay OP while down there.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Lisa
215/203/140
Old 05-07-2001, 01:45 PM   #10  

Default Hello :wave:

Well Monday is here, start of a brand new week. Hope everyone had a good week end. I was suppose to get a wisdom tooth pulled early this am, but drove an hour to get to my dentist only to be told that he had a family emergency & had to cancel my appt. I think I'll just wait till after vacation to reschedule it. I had myself prepared, but now I will have to keep dreading the aweful deed.

Debbie, Great motivational thought about success. I notice you quote from Ralph Marston alot. He has good words to say. I was in Lafayette this am & thought of you. Wanted to pass at Barnes & Noble where they have a StarBucks. Wanted to get some of the Orange Tea, but didn't get a chance to go there. Maybe next time.

BEACHFAN, Hope you & your DH have a wonderful day together. Loved your motivational thought also. I also agree that Debbie is the best! She is always so helpful & supportive, but then again, so are you & sooooo many other ladies on this board. It's great to have this board to come to for help, answers, support, & just plain fellowship with others that we have so much in common with.

ROSALIE, You are SOOOOOO close to a milestone! Sure hope you can get down to a new set of numbers before your trip. Yes, I did have a good week end off. Stayed pretty busy. DH & I cut grass here Sat., then yesterday we went to cut an acre of grass for my daughter who has no means of getting her yard cut right now. With those 3 boys of hers, that grass sure needs to be kept under control. We normally don't do that kind of work on Sunday, but it was for a good cause. Yes, Mom sure did enjoy the outing. We hope to do things like that with her as often as possible.

BOB, Interesting Book/Diet you mentioned there. I would tend to agree that processed foods are probably not the best for us, but all too often, that is what we buy & eat the most of.

FILLISE, Your tiarra sounds beautiful! Queen of the Derby eh? Good luck with the detoxing.

Nancemeister, Yea, you sound like you have a sense of humor, just by reading your posts. Cute idea about the chart for your weight loss. You mentioned the height chart in your mom's kitchen. It reminded me of the groth chart I started for my oldest GS when he was 2. He's now 13 & everytime he comes to visit, that's the first thing he wants me to do is mark his height on the bedroom door frame in the hallway. It's HIS door frame :lol And he's real quick to also point out that he's now taller than I am.

Lisa_A_A, Sounds like you had a jam-packed FUN week-end.

QUILTER/Kim, How's the walking going? I'm afraid I'm not getting in near as much walking as I would like, but I am staying busy with other things, so at least I'm active. Hope you have a great week.

See ya!
Old 05-07-2001, 03:10 PM   #11  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Default HAPPY MONDAY!

BEACH - WOW! You’ve overcome a lot more than a weight problem!! Thank you for sharing so much with us! What an inspiration!! I like that your doctor prescribed diet and exercise for the emotional side of things as well – so quickly Dr.s become legalized drug dealers, I think. The pills don’t cure the problem and so often people hide behind the drugs rather than tackling the issues these days – glad to see you’re on the true health track.

LAURIE – Way Cool! Weighing in public?!? You’ve got a lot more nerve than I do – funny you should mention that - - - I looked at the scale in the grocery this week-end and decided I was too chicken to climb up there. Looking forward to joining you among the ranks of the strong!

NANCEMEISTER – Those “mixed breeds” are the best dogs to have! My favorite has been a chow/golden retriever mix. Smart, Sharp, Funny and TOUGH! I’m a Miss. State Bulldawg, but sadly don’t have a real live dog of my own (not for trying!) Hubby and I love dogs, but convincing him that we won’t have to put up with too much shedding or compromise to our schedule has not been easy. They were looking at adding a canine patrol to the police department and I’ve been trying to get him to tell the Captain that we would gladly do it, but I’m not trained so the WE would really be VINCE when they get called out at 3am and he’s not ready to volunteer for that either. It sounds like you did okay at your outings – I am thankful to have understanding friends and co-workers – half my office is on a diet (and they’re all different) so we don’t force anything on anyone. My friends are very understanding, so there’s no pressure there. Maybe just telling them how very important it is to you and that it hurts your feelings like they don’t really care when they try to make you feel guilty for not sticking to your plan? Put the onus back on them. My husband runs and works out religiously – he eats healthy and is in excellent shape. He is 8 years older than I am and people don’t believe it because he looks so good. (Not bragging, I really am trying to make a point). When we go places and people comment on his turning down a sweet or drink or something – they say, “You don’t have to do that because you’re in such good shape.” They don’t realize he’s in such good shape because he DOES do that! That never happens to me but it will one day!! To you too!!

KIM – I’m glad you found a dress – I do think you’re exaggerating on the 20,000 pounds of pressure, though. I hate shopping when I’m in one of those moods – contrags on sticking it out and finding something - I’m sure it’ll look nicer when you’re in a better mood.

ICESKATE – Good to hear from you! Post when you can – we’re still thinking aboutcha even when you aren’t here. I was reminded of a quote I saw on a bathroom wall one time – “If we all hung our problems on the line you’d take yours and I’d take mine.” I truly believe that God is our sufficiency and does not allow us to be tempted above what we are able to handle. I know we feel like we can’t handle it sometimes, but we invariably can find the strength we need – including from our friends and/or ‘web buddies!! I’m sorry to hear that you got snookered into going back to 4th graders. Hopefully you can use that as a bargaining chip to get back to the 3rd graders next year – AND A RAISE!

FILLISE – MMMmmmmmm Mint Juleps! Gotta love ‘em! Glad you had a guilt-free blast at your party! I’m NOT glad that you’ve had to suffer the effects so bad, but when that happens to me I take SMALL consolation in the fact that I must be doing pretty darn good on plan for sliding off to have such dire consequences on my body. Right? I mean, it wouldn’t be so bad if I wasn’t being so good, right?

BOB – Way to go!!! What nerve you have – taking those patches back!! I’m not surprised Debbie doesn’t know about Derby parties – Florida is not in anyway associated with the TRUE South - too many darn New Yorkers, Ohioans, Michiganers down here – they have killed all the southern hospitality and traditions down here. After our trip to SC I realized why I was such an oddball when I moved down here – I always look people in the eye and say, “Hi” or nod or smile at them when I pass them on the road or in the hallway. I talk to people in the elevator or where-ever - - NOT something people do down here. They wear sleeve-less dresses and white all year long – dressing up means the men wear a shirt with a collar. I better stop here, you DON’ T want to get me started.

DEBBIE – Go to the library and get a book called “Desparation Dinners” – they are fool-proof, healthy, 20 minute meals. They are awesome!! We have quite a few “regulars” on our weekly menues each week. Having dinner ready will give you more quality time with Eli.

MARIE – You’ll break that 00 mark! As diligent as you are that scale is going to HAVE to budge! I’m getting a list from my parents on must see’s and “can avoids” from their trip to England. They’ll be back next week, but in keeping with my truly Southern Momma – she has set up an e-mail address and they are now well known regulars at the cyber café across the street from their hotel and they are keeping us posted every day. Apparently the “Jack the Ripper” 2 hour walking tour is a MUST – she did say it ended up being a 3 hour walking tour, but that it was absolutely fabulous. (They also met 3 people from Memphis and ended up having dinner with them – just like my Mom!)

Our building at work developed a sink hole last week and they had seismologists all over the place last week. Well, today when we showed up for work they weren’t letting people in the building – the building was bowed a little bit more on the side where the sink hole is supposed to be and the sidewalk is pretty caved in out front. We convinced them to let us in to at least get our computers – and now they’ve given us until 4pm to get whatever we can out of the building while they wait for the reports on the building and do whatever they can to make the building inhabitable again. We’ve moved to one of our other locations and sent everyone home who has Road Runner or DSL connections to work from home on our programming team. The rest of us are all piled on top of each other. After moving about 100 computers this morning none of us are smelling too nice. Looks like we’ll be doing this for at least a week. As you can imagine the owner of the company is none too happy about that – I don’t think there is room for everyone over in this other office so I don’t know what they are doing with everyone else. As a result I had to buy my lunch today and I got a veggie pita (I sooooo missed those from over here in the alternate location) It’s 1 slice of pita bread spread with cream cheese, that frozen mixture of veggies (broccoli, carrots and red peppers), Italian dressing and Muenster cheese – Is that really bad? Guess we’ll see when I get the droopy eyes, huh?

We had friends over for dinner last night – totally SB friendly menu and they didn’t even know it! For dessert we had SB Strawberry Ice Cream topped with fresh strawberry slices. They were thrilled to learn about it. We may have another convert to the SB way.

I go to the Endocrinologist on Wed. for my monthly update meeting. We’ll see how much weight I’ve lost total according to her scales and what she says – hopefully we can do something a bit more somehow to get this weight to come off a little quicker/easier/something…..

Nothing motivational to share, but thanks to all who have!
Old 05-07-2001, 06:35 PM   #12  
karen3000

Default Hi Everyone!

Sorry I haven't responded more to your posts. I'm doing my best to read them all.

Thanks, Beach, for telling us newer members about your history. You are one of my heroes on this board! Hopefully there will be more of us joining the ranks of maintenance with you.

I've found this info re: green tea that I thought might be of interest. Please note the caution to people who have thyroid problems. This article came from http://thyroid.about.com/health/thyr...aa030701a.htm. There are many articles here about weight problems faced by people with thyroid problems. Even if you don't have a thyroid problem, there's a lot of info here for all of us.

Green Tea Extract Increases Metabolism, May Aid in Weight Loss

Green Tea May Safely Increase Daytime Metabolism as much as 30-40%

by Mary J. Shomon

There are two ways to lose weight -- either reduce energy intake, or increase energy expenditure. Because hypothyroidism -- even after treatment -- may reduce energy expenditure in some people, patients naturally are looking for options that can help safely help raise the metabolism.

In a study reported on in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, it was found that green tea extract resulted in a significant increase in energy expenditure (a measure of metabolism), plus also had a significant effect on fat oxidation.

While some of the effects were originally theorized to be due to the caffeine content of green tea, the researchers discovered that the tea actually has properties that go beyond those that would be explained by the caffeine. The same amount of caffeine as was in the green tea, administered alone, failed to change energy expenditure in other studies. This led reseachers to believe that there is some interaction going on with the active ingredients of green tea that promotes increased metabolism and fat oxidation.

The researchers indicated that their findings have substantial implications for weight control. A 4% overall increase in 24-hour energy expenditure was attributed to the green tea extract, however, the research found that the extra expenditure took place during the daytime. This led them to conclude that, since thermogenesis (the body's own rate of burning calories) contributes 8-10% of daily energy expenditure in a typical cubject, that this 4% overall increase in energy expenditure due to the green tea actually translated to a 35-43% increase in daytime thermogenesis.

Of critical importance to thyroid patients is the fact that none of the research subjects reported any side effects, and no significant differences in heart rates were noticed. In this respect, green tea extract is different from some of the prescription drugs for obesity, and herbal products like ephedra, which can raise heart rates and blood pressure, and are not recommended for many individuals, in particular, those with thyroid disease who may be particularly sensitive to stimulants.

Implications for You?

If you were to incorporate green tea into your weight loss efforts, how is the best way to go about it?

One way would be to choose a reputable brand of organic green tea at a health food store or natural grocery, and start by taking a cup of tea every day. You can also take a green tea extract, in the form of a supplement.

Either way, says dietitian Lynn Moss, M.S., R.D., a continuing education specialist for Pharmavite, makers of Nature Made and Nature's Resource supplements and herbs, you should definitely take the green tea with meals, to reproduce the study's conditions as much as possible.

Moss also feels that green tea may be a good choice for thyroid patients because, unlike caffeine, " green tea has the potential to accelerate metabolism -- which can help weight loss slightly -- without overstimulating your adrenal glands."

And even a small effect can go a long way, when you are dealing with a metabolism that may not rebound entirely, despite hypothyroidism treatment.

SPECIAL NOTE: Is Green Tea Dangerous to the Thyroid?

In response to my article, some readers expressed concerns regarding the high fluoride content in tea, and the negative relationship between ingestion of too much fluoride and thyroid problems, as well as other health concerns.

This is definitely something to be considered before deciding to take green tea.

While green tea has some definite benefits in the cancer-prevention and metabolism-boosting arena, the fluoride content may, according to some practitioners, be a concern for the public in general, but specifically for thyroid patients.

For more information on the green tea/thyroid/fluoride connection, please see Is Green Tea Dangerous to the Thyroid?.

I strongly recommend that if anyone wants to pursue this as a "weight loss enhancement" that they check out the other links at this site.

Have a great week! I'll have some more stuff to post this week. Please forgive me if it doesn't get posted on the appropriate day. I gotta post when I think of it!

Karen

Old 05-07-2001, 07:23 PM   #13  
Little Engine That Could

Wow! I love my new computer. It is realy fast, with a 500 mghz processor. And I’m not even on the DSL yet. That comes tomorrow, and then I’ll have lightening at my fingertips. I was even able to get on this board without being able to read a chapter in a book while I was waiting. Wow again! I love it!

Big Orange, That book sounds interesting. As you explain it, the author would advocate wheat berries, but not bread. Tabouli, but not spaghetti. Hmm, interesting. Anything else that stood out in that book. Sounds pretty simple.

Lisa A A. I closed my eyes when I scrolled past the tiger image. LOL

SolShine--I heard about the sink hole from my friend who did all the junky install stuff on my new computer. We don’t get the local Mullet Wrapper AKA the Orlando Slantenel, so did not read about it either. That really is something. Now I know where it is. We were thinking it was between my house and the Sharaton hotel. Where is the other building where you will be working temporarily. All the sink holes show up when we have a drought. BTW, the reason people wear white year round down here is because it seems like it is always summer or spring. Not much cold weather. So all the “northern stuff” goes out the window. A few years ago Florida selected the motto “the rules are different here”. They got a lot of flak over it and that motto was jettisoned after 3 years. Also, things are getting so casual, that people are not even rummaging in the back of their closets to find their black shoes.

I have been tremendously busy. This weekend I led an all day meeting for 33 women in a town about 40 minutes from here. Then I got home about 6, and we had friends over for dinner. It was fun, but I was tired. Then I taught my class Sunday morning, and then had two meetings back to back that I went to with my husband. We co-lead a group almost every Sunday at 5 pm. but this Sunday he had another function that we attended at 7:30. Both involved food. We also were invited to someones home for lunch, and it was not at all SB legal. The only thing legal was the meat. I was not legal. In fact, I’ve been straying somewhat. Eating has been on the run a lot and catch as catch can. The big function that I am leading will be over 2 weeks from now, and I hope to catch my breath then. I’m tring to stay on plan meanwhile. What a weak fleshed human I am. when I got home Sunday night I was so tired that I hit the hay at 9 pm. And I am usually a night owl.

Again, it’s great to be able to get on this board and enjoy using it. I hope never to see half blank pages and slow loading anymore.

Thanks again Debelli, for all you do.

Love to all, and God bless.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:54 PM   #14  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERYBUDDY

Trying to unwind...terrible, terrible day....Skeeter was supposed to get a bath and I don't even feel like doing that!

I stopped by the grocery today and the butcher had just marked down some "ka-bobs"....I actually got about
$15 worth for a little over $5...slapped them babies on the grill and YUMMMMMMMM

SOL: I agree about the state of FLA...It truley is NOT a southern state!! I'm always fussing at someone at work for wearing white! Of course, they are quick to tell me that this is FLA!!! I GIVE UP I could get up on the same soapbox and we could preach together!!
I saw the people leaving your building on the news tonight.

MARIE: You're getting pretty close to your trip aren't you? I sure do envy you ...I WANT TO GO

KAREN: Thanks for the info...I like to keep up to date!

GATOR: What kind of computer did you get? Are you keeping your old one? or donating it? Can't wait to hear your opinion when you're hooked up.
THis book is quite interesting..I'll pass along as I go.

MELF: I HATE THE DENTIST!!! Was the tooth pulling something that HAD to be done? OR was it preventive?
ALMOST VACATION TIME!!! Are you packed yet?

ANNA: TELL HUBBY....HAVE A BIG ORANGE BIRTHDAY!!!

DEB: Hope you and ELI had a good day...
OH....and DEB???? YOU DA BOMB!!!

Later GALS

BOB
Old 05-07-2001, 09:37 PM   #15  

Default New here

I am just starting out and I have some questions. First, what is the ?/?/? weight thing?? Second, can some of you please post your daily menus to give me some ideas???

Thanks
Amanda
Closed Thread