Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 10:02 AM   #1  
Just gotta run!

Default Maximum Heart rate

I have been running now for about a month. I am doing intervals (run X minutes then walk y minutes) Recently aI have run on the treadmill at the gym where it is easy to get my pulse rate. I seem to be running well above the 85% level (which should be about 141 for my age and I get up to 155) I am not doing an all out run but I am running at about a 10 minute/mile rate and walking at about a 14 min/mile rate.

This appears to be above recommended levels and I haven't been having any problems with it, other than it is a good workout. I'm not sure if I should do anything about it. I feel that my rate will come down as my fitness level improves and I want to train to a 9 minute mile rate eventually so I can run that rate on a 5K and later on a 10 K.

Opinions?

Old 01-29-2004, 07:16 PM   #2  

I've been running for almost 10 years, and have a resting heart rate of 45. According to various calculations and calculators out there, my easy runs should have me at a heart rate of <144. However, when I've run with a heart rate monitor, my heart rate on easy runs is 160-170. My muscles feel fine at that pace, my breathing is fine and I could carry on a conversation (except that I run alone so I'd look like a crazy person). I did make an appointment with my doctor, and even after running tests we're not sure what's going on. My doctor said that it is possible that my Target Heart Rate is higher than what the calculations predict, but with my low RHR and experience I should see lower numbers. My solution is to not run with a HRM.

So ... I'd say that if you are really concerned about it, make an appointment with your doctor to rule out any problems. Otherwise, if you feel fine I'd say to ignore the high numbers. Running inside could elevate your heart rate, as could dehydration along with other factors. And you are right that it should come down as your fitness increases.

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2004, 09:23 PM   #3  

The target heart rate measures are averages, not absolutes. And if the distribution follows the usual bell curve, statistically speaking, there are always going to be some people who don't fit the average. Some people pump slower, some faster. Sometimes that's because of greater/lesser fitness, lower/higher blood pressure, or simply a slightly smaller or larger heart. If your doctor checks you out and there's nothing wrong, I'd say you're just not "average."
Old 01-31-2004, 07:24 PM   #4  
Just gotta run!

Default Went for it!

Thanks! I decided y`all are right. Since I already had a GO from my Doc, I went for it. Two weeks aho I ran my first 5K. I had a sore muscle in my calf so I walked more than I wanted. I ran a 32 min 40 sec race. Today my legs felt fine and I ran the whole thing (except for the water point, I can't run and sip without making a mess.) My time today was 27 minutes and 28 seconds and I came in second in my age group (50-54.) I felt good and didn't worry about my pulse rate. I didn't think I could run the whole thing.

We will continue with our training plan and have another 5K in 2 weeks.

Last edited by Gophfer; 02-04-2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:55 AM   #5  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Gophfer,

Congratulations on your running, AND you lost 109 pounds! Wow!! That's amazing! I'm running a bit myself on the treadmill, admittedly I'm doing the walk/run thing, alternating minutes. Right now I'm at a total of 5 minutes running in a half hour... and my HR is also high. But I know that with getting in shape, it will drop some! (I also use the elliptical trainer and the rowing machines.)

I figure as long as I'm not dizzy or panting for breath I'm doing ok. I am very impressed with the challenge of running! Wow, it's humbling to think "I can row an hour, or be on the elliptical for an hour, so I must be in ok shape!" then to try and actually RUN and have my body go "WHOA!" It's a reality check, all right... but an inspiring one!

Happy training and racing!
Closed Thread