Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 09:37 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 6"

Talking New Gal On the Board

Hi Everyone,
This is my first time posting here, tho I've been lurking and reading about you all for about a week now. I'll just jump right in since you all seem to be very kind and supportive people. A little back up is exactly what I need.

I started Atkins on the 21st of this month. 9 days counting. It's actully quite easier then I had thought it would be. I love meat so in that aspect I'm doing fine... vegi's on the other hand are something less desired.

Since I've began, I've stuck strickly to the guildlines of induction. No bread, no starchy things.. etc..Cut out my caffine.. YIKES that was scarey! The second and third day I was total walking zombie. I never realized what a caffine junkie I was until I took it away. For my cola cravings I've found Diet Rite.. not as tastey but it keeps me away from the Coke... Eating my salads.. which I had to gag down at first until a miracle happened and I discovered Carb Options Ranch Dressing. It's made it much more tollerable, I'm actully starting to enjoy my salad every evening. And for my coffee with french vanilla (high carb) creamer I've reluctantly switched to Bigalow flavored caffine free tea with splenda.

Where I'm lacking is I'm not actully counting my carbs. I'm confused about lettuce. Can anyone tell me exactly how many carbs are contained in say 1cup? Are there any good detailed carb counting books? I think one would surely help me out. As of now I'm just sort of guesstimating. I must be doing something right, the scale beast was kind to me this Wed. (my personal weigh in day) and showed 9 pounds lighter.

Anyway, A little about myself. I'm the working wife and mother of 3. I work in a resturant soooooo I'm constantly surrounded by temtations. The girls at work are very supportive of me and my "mission" however they are not the type to stop me should I get out of control. .. But so far so good! Even tonight when my family and I went out to eat at the buffet... I had a variety of meats and my salad (brought my dressing from home) I helped fix my girls their hot fudge sundaes and inhaled the aroma of all those pies and cakes.. but I didn't touch.. Yeah Me! I really need to break my arm patting myself on the back for that one.

I look foward to posting and getting involved on your challenges and making a few friends who have the same goal as me. Well enough jibber jabber from me, I know once I get started I could go on forever.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

Welcome Trazzie!

I'm sure you'll like it here, everyone is great and helpful with answering questions. I originally started Atkins at the beginning of November, but fell off in December/much of January, and I am now back on induction and determined to stay with it!

As for counting carbs, some people use www.fitday.com (I use this sometimes) but I also use the Atkins Carb Gram Counter. You can get that at www.atkinscenter.com, then click on "How to Do Atkins", then on the left hand side there should be a button for the "Carb Gram Counter". You can download it in .pdf format to print it out.

I impressed with your restraint at the buffet!! Those things are evil - it's hard not to go ahead and it anything and everything just to 'get your money's worth!'

Hope to see you around the board often!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:26 PM   #3  
Princess in Training

Welcome!

Fitday is a godsend for counting carbs!! I highly recommend using it
Old 01-31-2004, 09:32 AM   #4  

Welcome

Congrats on your new WOE (way of eating)!! Don't fret so much about grams in induction (it's confusing at first)...just keep on following the rules of induction and you'll be fine. It sounds like you're already ahead of the game....I still haven't given up my morning coffee
Stick with it and you'll get the hang of it soon. The people who post here are the best!
Old 01-31-2004, 10:44 AM   #5  
The Princess O' Pets

Welcome Trazzie!! Great to meet you!
Old 01-31-2004, 11:02 AM   #6  
Total Sass Bucket

Welcome Trazzie!!!
Glad to meet you and glad to have you with us!!!
Old 01-31-2004, 12:35 PM   #7  
Head Princess

Welcome, Trazzie!

You reminded me of an interesting thing I discovered at the store yesterday. Carb Options! Don't waste your money on that stuff! Instead, read the lables of Carb Options products and compare it to "regular" items that are similar. What I've discovered is that they're selling you a label and that's it.

For example, Carb Options alfredo sauce is 2 grams per serving. Regular alfredo sauce is 3 grams per serving and costs at least a dollar less. Carb Options spaghetti sauce is 5 grams per serving. Other, normal, sauces have the same carb count (Essensia 4 cheese marinara, Classico spicy red pepper) and cost significantly less.

I'm betting it's the same with your salad dressing. Ranch normally has only 1-2 grams of carbs per serving. Same with blue cheese and italian.

My advice: Read your labels and save some money!

Those who have known me for a while also know I'm obsessive about reading labels on everything - not just what I plan on eating. I actually go wander the aisles of the grocery store and pick up random items and check the carb count. It's led me to some fun discoveries (did you know baby corn is low carb?) and arms me with enough information to make educated guesses as to the carb count of the items I eat in restaurants.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:32 PM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Trazzie !!

Welcome to 3FC's
Old 01-31-2004, 03:55 PM   #9  
Movin' and Losin'

Welcome, Trazzie. I'm glad you're here! Congrats on losing nine pounds already!! That's great!! I look forward to getting to know you!

Take care,
Jina
Old 01-31-2004, 04:36 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks All for the warm welcome!

I had noticed on "carb options" items its a mere waste of money. I checked out the bbq sauce and a couple other things and geesh.. ya have to pay a buck for every carb they take out.. pure insanity
The dressing however is only about 50 cents more then I'd pay for any other and with 0 carbs..so I'm not too concerned with it. I also must admit its a tastey dressing!

Thanks for the advice.. it's definitely something I need to keep an eye out for.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:24 PM   #11  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Welcome aboard Trazzie!!

You had asked about a good carbohydrate counter book and I definitely recommend the paperback edition of "The Corinne T. Netzer Carbohydrate Counter." It's extremely comprehensive, listing both generic and name brands. Let me tell you....if you can chew on it, it's in this book!!
Old 01-31-2004, 06:43 PM   #12  
on my way down again

Welcome Tazzie! You will love it here!
Old 01-31-2004, 08:31 PM   #13  
Baby Steps

Hi Trazzie---welcome and congrats on the weight loss
Old 02-01-2004, 09:44 AM   #14  

Default Doing this with you

Ito just started. I started Monday and Yesterday was my first day on all Decaf Tea. yahoo.
I didn't have the problems some do with sickness but do have my days when I want some bread.

I have had 3 of the bars this week and better stop according to the board.
Stalls everything and can't have that. 5 lbs down isn't bad but wonder without the bars if it would be more.
Good luck to you
Old 02-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to Trazzie! Glad you found our little corner of the universe! The happier, thinner part that is. Congrats on the weight loss so far that's fantastic! Be sure to come join in on the daily thread and challenges, that's were all the fun is (and ranting )

Tummy
Closed Thread