PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/232/110

Height: 5ft7

Question Does a vaginal ultrasound hurt if you're a virgin?

TMI alert

I've used full sized sex toys before and use tampons. Will it still hurt since I've never actually had sex?

Last edited by imabehot; 11-06-2014 at 08:00 AM.
imabehot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #2  

My mom told me it does.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #3  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Read this article:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003779.htm

Look at this picture:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...70_634x346.jpg

Now you'll know what to expect.

Honestly, as no two human beings share the same experience when it comes to perceptions of pain, no two women share the same sensation "down there". What one finds dreadful and incapacitating another will find sort of uncomfortable. IMO the worst part of most pelvic exams in general is the whole fact of having your naked business hanging at the edge of a table, spread out in a brightly lit room followed by the speculum being inserted. And I wouldn't call it pain, I'd say it's uncomfortable. A very, very large amount of the discomfort is purely psychological, especially if you've never had a pelvic before. The more frightened you are, the more tense your muscles will be, that will make everything harder for everyone involved. Try to think happy thoughts and focus on breathing.

Additionally, when it comes to many medical procedures a LOT has to do with how the technician is handling the job. They are only human, remember that. If you let them know upfront you're nervous they will be very patient with you.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

The wand used during a vaginal ultrasound is smaller than what I'd consider a "full sized sex toy", so I would think you won't find it uncomfortable or painful. Usually the ultrasound room is darkened and you are totally draped and unlike during a pelvic exam, nobody examines all your junk and there is no speculum. The wand is handed to you up under the covers and you insert the wand yourself, the technician just holds the handle after you've put it in.

I have an ultrasound every 3 months, never had any pain (though of course we are all different and I'm not a virgin).

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 11-06-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #5  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I had one before I lost my v card. It was uncomfortable but not bad.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:15 AM   #6  

Sorry for how vulgar my post was lol my oops. But anyway they wouldn't do it until I lose my virginity. They just did the surface one. I tried to explain the sex toy thing...l couldn't get the words out. It's a woman yea but... Idk she's a doctor I don't normally see and it just seemed weird to tell her. The internets one thing. In person is another lol
Old 01-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #7  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

Everyone is different.

I am definitely not a virgin, but I'll be honest with you, those ultrasounds are really uncomfortable for me. However, I have a tipped uterus and also my hips and lower back are twisting forward, so my body isn't exactly sitting where it should.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I had them as a virgin, after some sexual activity, when pregnant...honestly, they never felt super awesome, but they never really *hurt*.

Your mileage may vary. Your mom can't predict what it'll feel like for you. They're smaller than most sex toys, though.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

I did not experience any pain with mine. The nurse told the doctor to use los of lube though. She told the doctor you can never have enough when it comes to those. LOL
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

It is up to you to advocate for your health with PCOS stuff.

Next time if you have trouble with oral communication, you could write it out on a note and pass it over.

Now you know what u/s are like -- so the next time you go in to check for cysts or whatever you don't have that unknown factor stress. Maybe that also helps boost your confidence.

Good for you in taking care of you though! Getting it done even though there was some stress.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-24-2015 at 02:48 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:24 AM   #11  
From Lazy to Light!

S/C/G: 215/Ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I was a virgin when they did mine. I didn't have any pain that I would correlate with virginity (hymen tear sorta pain). For me it was just deeply uncomfortable because they found I had some rather large cysts and the wand was adding some much unwanted pressure in that region. But luckily it was a quick diagnosis.
LovelyLeah is offline   Reply With Quote