Old 11-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #1  
Taking it day by day!

S/C/G: 185/176/145

Height: 5'5"

Default A typical day - What RTG's and/or food types do you arm yourselves with?

Hi All -

Recently started a new position at work within our Marketing department (yeay!) and that's where all of the moving, shaking and a lot of creative stuff percolates. It's quite exciting. Yesterday, I found myself on the go-go-go and believe it or not, I didn't stop / couldn't stop for lunch until 4:45pm when it dawned on me that I was completely running off fumes.

I think I stalled my weight loss this week by doing that but, it's okay, live and learn.

Curious to hear what you folks stash in your desks or cars when running into similar times?

What sort of Ready-to-Go stuff do you arm yourselves with and what kinds of veggies do you bring to work?

Just trying to collect best IP practices so that I can try to adapt similar behaviors.

Thanks for sharing and have a nice day!
KareVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #2  
Taking it day by day!

Additionally - on those days when it's hard to fit in the 2Cs (4Cs/day) of veggies, is there anyone who sneaks them into their drinks? If so - what's the ratio? I just purchased RTG mango drink and want to know how much spinach or kale to put in the blender vs. mango drink vs. ice?

What other sneaky avenues do y'all have to get in your veggies?

THANKS!

Last edited by KareVT; 11-01-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #3  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Hubby likes to put red peppers and mushroom in the chicken noodle soup packet made with more water so it's like a cuppa soup. He says it's less heavy for a lunchtime snack than having 2 cups of vegetables and a bowl of thick soup.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #4  

At different times I've kept different things in my desk in case of "emergencies." For me, it's more likely that I work really late and don't have time to leave for supper. I've kept the ready to eat puddings in my desk (they don't taste that bad warm). I've kept an extra shaker with a chocolate drink packet stuffed inside (so the ball doesn't rattle around) then all you need is some cold water. We have an office fridge so a jar of dill pickles keeps for a long time for emergency veggies. I think the unrestricted crisps would also be a great thing to keep on hand....
MsBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #5  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Hi - when I am on plan, here is what helps me:

- Bars save me on busy days - they are super easy to have stashed in purses or desk drawers. Quest bars don't melt (if you are using those) so they are even fine in a car.
- RTDs another easy choice. If you have a fridge at work you could stash one there. If not, they are kinda gross when room temperature, so you could serve over ice or add to brewed coffee OR I happen to really like the chocolate and vanilla flavors warmed up, esp. in the winter. I often add cinnamon when I heat them up.
- the soup packets are easy to have on hand, if you have a hot water supply or microwave at work
- Veggies are harder to stash, unless you did something like kale chips and kept them sealed with a desiccant pouch (I save those from when I get dried seaweed snacks ... Actually - I thought "seaweed" used to be on the select veggies list? I don't see it on my version...)If I am really stuck somewhere I usually just give up and make up my veggies later in the day.

If you have time to plan ahead for a busy day:
- cut up veggies are the way to go if it is a day that you truly won't have time to sit down and eat... just grab the right amount before you head out to work. You could experiment with different IP-friendly dips/dressings
- If you would have time to sit down and eat, you could bring salad in a jar with appropriate dressing and/or protein included (dressing on the bottom if you include it and don't mix until time to eat). Here is one link to that technique. I have been doing this for a while with a handheld vacuum tool and wide-mouth jar attachment for around $20 total (like this). Works great!

RE: blending spinach into smoothies (I like kale too but it is a stronger flavor), I find that up to 2 cups loosely packed blends in fine. After that, I notice the flavor more. Not necessarily bad, just weird.

ETA: oh yeah the crisps/soy snacks are great to have stashed as well! and I like the idea of a jar of pickles in the fridge...

Last edited by EmmaD; 11-01-2014 at 03:01 PM.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #6  
Taking it day by day!

Hello Ladies - thank you so much for sharing your tricks / tips. They are all so brilliant!

Amanda - that's a great idea in regards to adding veggies to the soup. Tx!

Ms. Brown - I am likely to work late too so I like the idea of keeping your shaker and drink mix (tucked inside - good tip so that the ball doesn't rattle). I will do that for sure. I am a big fan of baby dill pickles and the crisps so will keep a stash at work. Luckily I have a fridge w/in my zone.

Emma D - Bars are awesome and I'll need to leave a few in my drawer but I am not doing alternatives so one/day. I keep forgetting about RTD drinks and will start keeping a couple of those on-hand throughout the wk in case of emergencies. Thanks for the additional tips on dips, veggies and vacuum baggies; appreciate the links as well!

Really good advice on adding veggies to shakes. I don't want to make it taste too yucky, especially b/c I enjoy the shake alone. And, thanks for reminding me as well to leave a jar of dill pickles in the fridge. The convenient thing for me is that my boss keeps her mini fridge in my area so it works out perfectly that I can stash a jar of my pickles + RTD's in her fridge. Thankfully she won't mind so long as I leave room for all of her beverages..

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!! Hopefully others will benefit from your feedback as much as I have. Hope you are having a fabulous day! Cheers to you!

Last edited by KareVT; 11-01-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

If you have a fridge at work, you can buy a bag of lettuce and leave oil & vinegar in your desk drawer (or walden farms in the fridge. ) Then I cut up my veggies in the morning and assemble my salad at work.

I've taken cut peppers with me in a Tupperware container with a dip of walden farms and hot sauce.

I also make homemade soup purees with broccoli, cauliflower, and roasted tomatoes (not together -- each a separate soup). Just steam or roast the veggies, add chicken broth, salt & garlic, and puree.

I've made a spinach frittata using eggs + egg whites. You can add mushrooms, or roasted peppers also. I cut it into four chunks and have that with soup puree for lunch for the week.
shasta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 281/215/180

Height: 5'6

The packets of BBQ soy nuts are the best...very portable..
I also buy a bi punch of peppers, cucumber and celery and pre cut all of then on Sunday, Then during the week you can grab and go. I have also pre-made my raw veggi salads and had them in containers for the week. 2 cups of veggies measured out in the container, any kind but I usually do pickles, cucumber, cauliflower, peppers and red onion. Put you salt and pepper in with vinegar and oil allotment and have them ready in the fridge. I usually have that on my desk at lunch and then pick at it over the course of my lunch time...

Prep is the key. I have packets and bars everywhere so I am always covered.
Sgrealtor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #9  
Start IP 11/24/14

S/C/G: 244/132/130

Height: 5'6"

These are all wonderful suggestions. Thank you KareVT for posting the question! I am starting brand new tomorrow and they are very helpful!
scorpio53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #10  
Taking it day by day!

Hi Shasta - thank you for the share.. Great ideas and definitely need to make that frittata. Mmm! Your homemade puree soups sound awesome and a great way to sneak in the 2C veggies. I like, I like! Especially coupled with the colder days that are headed up North.

Sgrealtor - I need to try the bbq soy nuts. I tend to stick more to the crisps. I like the qty and flavor and of course, the CRUNCH factor
Going to the store in a bit and going to stock up on the veggies and cut them this afternoon - thanks for the reminder there. Great idea. I shall do what you suggest with the dressing as well. I couldn't find an IP compatible dressing that I liked so my coach gave me a quick and easy recipe to whip up and I really like it and the relief of the matter is, I don't have to force myself to use Walden Farms sugar free dressing. Yahooo!

IP DRESSING
Equal amounts of Apple Cider Vinegar & EVOO
Garlic (to taste)
Splash of Lemon Juice
Pepper
Salt (even IP salt)

*Bed, Bath & Beyond carries this small, plastic, salad dressing container with a nice lip to pour. It's by the company OXO. It's terrific - get one!

I too, will ensure that bars and snacks are everywhere (car and desk) just in case I'm in a bind. That was a terrible position to be in and the body does react instantly especially because we are eating so minimally anyhow. We can't afford not to eat, right?!

A nice BIG welcome to Scorpio! So excited that this thread has given you some ideas to jump start your journey tomorrow. I hope you are ready b/c this is going to be great for you. This forum is here for you and all of the folks are so wonderful and supportive. Definitely come to the boards when you need us for anything.

Last edited by KareVT; 11-02-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #11  
Start IP 11/24/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KareVT View Post

A nice BIG welcome to Scorpio! So excited that this thread has given you some ideas to jump start your journey tomorrow. I hope you are ready b/c this is going to be great for you. This forum is here for you and all of the folks are so wonderful and supportive. Definitely come to the boards when you need us for anything.
Thanks so much! I am planning out everything! My work day has a 90 min commute in both the AM and PM, so I will bring lots of options with me each day.
These ideas are so helpful!
Old 11-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #12  
Taking it day by day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio53 View Post
Thanks so much! I am planning out everything! My work day has a 90 min commute in both the AM and PM, so I will bring lots of options with me each day.
These ideas are so helpful!
Wow, 90 min commute both ways - hopefully you have Sirius Sat. Radio!

You are a smart cookie for being so prepared.. Even with alternatives, being on IP, you can't ever be over prepared. Great habit to get yourself into from the beginning as that is half the battle! Go Scorpio!

Last edited by KareVT; 11-02-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #13  

Hi all

I have a daily 90 minute commute (45 each way) plus I'm rarely in on place for long (I see students at 11 sites throughout the week and my desk is at none of these places).

When I started, I used to throw a bunch of veggies in a pot, puree them when cooked, and add to soups mixes. I took hot soup w/pureed veggies in a thermos because I never knew if I'll be somewhere to heat my food. I discontinued this when I quit soy protein & gluten. Most of the soups have either or both. (veggies I typically used: celery, leeks, mushrooms, bok choy)

If I know I'll be near a microwave, I've been taking a veggie omelet for lunch (my version of egg foo young, I suppose). I sautee celery, leeks, mushrooms, sprouts for that.

My go-to breakfast smoothie also has veggies.
Spinach, cold coffee, chocolate pudding mix in the vitamix & then I add coffee ice cubes (made with leftover coffee). I often put in some cinnamon, as well, and frequently some of my oil.

For lunch, if I'm not having an omelet, I typically have a bar, rtd or bring a drink I've pre-mixed (I saved some bottles from the strawberry banana smoothie and they work perfectly).

I take homemade (old fashioned fermented, not vinegar) pickles most days. The fermented products really help my digestion and my gut health. I also take romaine leaves, just to snack on if necessary.

I also take two 1-liter bottles of water. My lunch bag is a large, thermal bag from Thirty one (its the picnic thermal tote). Everything fits in there & I have everything I need to get me thru a day.

After a long day, I don't care to cook every nite so I usually make enough for 2-3 days of "leftovers" every time I cook something for dinner. I do the bulk of my cooking/food prep on Sundays.

Oh, and I have emergency packets in my lunch bag, purse, car, desk, and DH's car.

Last edited by lisa32989; 11-02-2014 at 10:01 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #14  
Start IP 11/24/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KareVT View Post
Wow, 90 min commute both ways - hopefully you have Sirius Sat. Radio!

You are a smart cookie for being so prepared.. Even with alternatives, being on IP, you can't ever be over prepared. Great habit to get yourself into from the beginning as that is half the battle! Go Scorpio!
I actually commute with public transportation - but I keep busy listening to music, reading or taking a nap! I have no issues with it - I like where I live and like where I work but I can definitely see how important planning is!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #15  
Start IP 11/24/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Hi all

I have a daily 90 minute commute (45 each way) plus I'm rarely in on place for long (I see students at 11 sites throughout the week and my desk is at none of these places).

When I started, I used to throw a bunch of veggies in a pot, puree them when cooked, and add to soups mixes. I took a soup w/pureed veggies in a thermos because I never know if I'll be somewhere to heat my food. I discontinued this when I quit soy protein & gluten. Most of the soups have either or both. (veggies I typically used: celery, leeks, mushrooms, bok choy)

If I know I'll be near a microwave, I've been taking a veggie omelet for lunch (my version of egg foo young, I suppose). I sautee celery, leeks, mushrooms, sprouts for that.

My go-to breakfast smoothie also has veggies.
Spinach, cold coffee, chocolate pudding mix in the vitamix & then I add coffee ice cubes (made with leftover coffee). I often put in some cinnamon, as well, and frequently some of my oil.

For lunch, if I'm not having an omelet, I typically have a bar, rtd or bring a drink I've pre-mixed (I saved some bottles from the strawberry banana smoothie and they work perfectly).

I take homemade (old fashioned fermented, not vinegar) pickles most days. The fermented products really help my digestion and my gut health. I also take romaine leaves, just to snack on if necessary.

I also take two 1-liter bottles of water. My lunch bag is a large, thermal bag from Thirty one (its the picnic thermal tote). Everything fits in there & I have everything I need to get me thru a day.

After a long day, I don't care to cook every nite so I usually make enough for 2-3 days of "leftovers" every time I cook something for dinner. I do the bulk of my cooking/food prep on Sundays.

Oh, and I have emergency packets in my lunch bag, purse, car, desk, and DH's car.
This is incredibly helpful - thank you so much!!