General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Default Why so fast, guys?

I just glanced through a thread on here about a diet plan that is causing 3fc members to throw up, lose hair, and get regular diarrhoea... But hey, they're losing three pounds per week so it must be worth it right? ....seriously?

Do you know why your diet is making you lose that fast? Do you know why you aren't allowed to do any weightlifting while you're on it? Do you know why the diet has very little protein in it? It's because you're burning not just fat, but also lean mass. Probably MOSTLY lean mass.

That's what happens when you lose weight super fast, guys. It's not good for you. Your body can't drop fat that fast so it starts dropping muscle, hair, and anything else it can't sustain because of your diet.

I came here because it looked like a place full of healthy people trying to do what's best for their bodies. Not to read about people starving themselves and cutting out whole food groups and putting up with diarrhoea and hair loss so they can lose weight as fast as humanly possible, and at all costs.

Please... Take care of yourselves!

Last edited by faiora; 10-25-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Bummer.

Seems to be the way with public forums and with with the cluster of so many WOE plans out there. Nice is that there is also a lot of positive and inspirational threads to soak up on the forum too.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 10-25-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/241.2/170

Height: 5'5

Wow! How scary! That type of diet is definitely not sustainable. They'll most likely gain weight when they stop doing the diet.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Depending on your start weight, 3 pounds a week wouldn't be considered "fast" I don't think. I had many 3 lb loss weeks and experienced none of what you are describing. Of course I had weeks where I lost less than that too, as well as weeks where I lost more. I retained plenty of lean muscle mass.

I'm not sure what thread you are referring to, so I can't really comment on that specific plan or why they are having such terrible side effects. Sounds rough.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 10-26-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I did 4lbs a week all the way down. And it was awesome.

Like skydiving...

It looks like my parachute has opened though.

Last edited by IanG; 10-26-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #6  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Which thread are you referring to?
Old 10-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yes, please let us know what thread you are referring to. You can report it to the mods as well.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:44 AM   #8  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

It looks like the Accuweight bead diet thread a few down from this one. Weird. Never heard of that before. I looked it up though and them there accupressure "beads" sure can do a lot.

Last edited by CoolMom75; 10-27-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
Depending on your start weight, 3 pounds a week wouldn't be considered "fast" I don't think. I had many 3 lb loss weeks and experienced none of what you are describing. Of course I had weeks where I lost less than that too, as well as weeks where I lost more. I retained plenty of lean muscle mass.

I'm not sure what thread you are referring to, so I can't really comment on that specific plan or why they are having such terrible side effects. Sounds rough.
It's more the hair loss and throwing up that alarms me.

Yeah 3 lb per week is probably okay for some people. I'm under the (possibly incorrect) impression that most of the people trying this thing only have 20 lbs or less to lose though. Bleh.

I just look at the successful people here and it looks like 2 lbs per week with a bit of variation is normal, which is great, and then some people have the attitude of "just lose it as fast as possible and to heck with the consequences" and they're seriously hurting themselves. And if you're doing that why are you here? Are they just ignoring everything they read here from people who have actually managed to achieve something? Ignoring the fact that 90% of us are here because we did something just like that and it made our situations even worse?

I'm sure I have some selfish reason to be upset. I mean I guess if it did work for someone I might be upset, and if it doesn't I get to say I told them so... But setting that aside I just really feel like it's stupid and harmful and it might encourage other people to jump on the bandwagon and get hurt as well. >.<
Old 10-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #10  
Just Me

Thanks for the info, I've told the other mods about it. At 3FC, we really try to promote diets that are more moderate. There are certain diets that are under doctors supervision or based on diets created by doctors that may be a bit more 'extreme' that we allow. I think if we see something of concern though, we will look into it.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #11  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Looks like you had a good reason to bring this to someone's attention (not a selfish reason to be upset!). So good on you!
Old 11-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #12  
Just Me

I'm going to close this thread but after review, we can no longer allow a support venue for those following that diet. Thanks for your concern and again, if you see concerning dietary habits (extreme calorie reduction without doctor supervision), please report it.
Closed Thread