Old 10-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218.5/211.1/175

Height: 5' 4"

Default Goals,'realistic' and 'unrealistic'--does it matter?

In Atkins 2002 he recommends that you choose a weight goal that reflects a normal healthy weight according to the BMI table, perhaps one (he says) that you stayed at a long time in the past, even though you may not feel that achieving it is possible. He doesn't talk about intermediate goals. I haven't been a normal weight since I was about 10--I weighed 196 in high school. 'BMI normal' for me is between 110 and 140, but I don't remember ever being that.

My current BMI is 35.8 and I would be grateful to just get of obese and get into the high end of overweight even--it has been so long.

How have all of you chosen your goal weights? I believe in intermediate goals to reward myself at (new clothes!!)--is there anything wrong with that? I know there isn't any 'right' way to do this, but are there any dangers lurking, either?

Sharon

Current weight 207.6
Goal weight, who knows?
jicarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #2  

P.S. I forgot to say I am 70 years old.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #3  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Hello jicarilla

I have been overweight my whole life... (I am 56) even in my youth I was overweight... since I was 3 I have been told. I picked a goal weight that I know is achievable as it was the lowest I have been in my adult (after 21) life - 160 for my 5-4 3/4 It is still overweight.... but I know I can do it. Once I get there.. I can think of going lower - but will not stress out about it. I do have an intermediate goal of ONDERLAND! Haven't been there since 1986!

My opinion.. anything lower than where you start is getting to a mini goal... I wish you a wonderful and happy journey to your chosen goal and look forward to your postings!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #4  

Default Onderland?

Thank you for your encouragement.

I am new to this board and keep running into mysterious terms: where does ONDERLAND come from and what exactly does it mean? I assume, the land of less weight, but am I right?
Old 10-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicarilla View Post
Thank you for your encouragement.

I am new to this board and keep running into mysterious terms: where does ONDERLAND come from and what exactly does it mean? I assume, the land of less weight, but am I right?
ONEDERLAND is when your weight is in the 100's. You've achieved ONEDERLAND when you reach 199
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Because these sites often ask for a weight goal (and I like to see the progress %, it makes me feel like I'm doing something) I do put in a number sometime.

A while ago I figured out that 179 was the weight that put me out of "obese" and into "overweight" BMI categories, so I used that for quite a while.

But truthfully, I'm not trying for a number.

I used to be kind of trying for a size, but even that I'd be able to let go of today.

This summer I read "Health At Every Size". A lot of people think it's "fat acceptance" but it's not, not really. It's about making yourself healthy. Exercising, being able to move in your body and be comfortable. And be healthy. And eat in a way that doesn't make you crazy.

And I realized, that's exactly what I want.

I don't give a damn what the scale says, and I don't care what size my pants are.

I do care about being able to run and jump and get down on the floor to play with my kids. I do care about being vibrantly healthy and feeling good. I care about feeling good in my body, knowing it can do what I need it to. I care about my lifestyle - my diet and exercise and leisure time activities being something I'm proud do share with my kids and model for them.

And I care about my food being fresh and free of toxins, healthy for my body, satisfying, delicious even.

So a small amount of the thinking of my diet is "weight loss" and a great deal is "healthy and enjoyable". There is no room for all of that in the "Goal Weight" area!
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 390/390/199

Height: 5'8

My weight loss is supervised by a doctor, and she told me that not focus so much onto getting to the "healthy" number for myself, because it most likely won't be possible. So, my goal is 199lb. But, I'm 5'10 with a "large" frame. I will also have excess skin that will add quite a bit to my weight.
workinghardatlosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #8  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

Hi Jicarilla(Sharon) - I'm 49 and I have been overweight since forever!! Re-started this journey almost 2 years ago and I'm still not at my realistic goal of 160 or my goal of 153! I think it is helpful to have short term goals because it is easier to say "I have 5 pounds to lose" instead of I have XX number of pounds to lose. When I first started Onederland or 199 was my goal....when I got there I changed it.

I agree with other comments here focusing on health and fitness not just a number on the scale. Also set a realistic expectation based on your age....I don't lose weight nearly as fast as I did when I was younger so keep that in mind too! It stinks but knowing it helps me with m reality check on my "progress" or lack there of....for me right now maintaining in the 170s is also part of my "progress" until I really focus and move on down!!

Best wishes for an on-plan day!!!

Last edited by Lulu NH; 10-24-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
ONEDERLAND is when your weight is in the 100's. You've achieved ONEDERLAND when you reach 199
Of course, duh! Thanks so much.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #10  

Default Hugs for ways to look at goals

Thanks everyone for all your views on goals which really helped me.

For myself, after thinking about it after reading all your experience, I decided to have an 'unrealistic' goal weight of 145 (which is BMI normal--barely) as my final goal.

My next intermediate goal is Onederland, 199, today 6 pounds away.

The next goal after that is 175--into overweight and out of obese--psychologically very far away for me, but would be a real cause for celebration in my life.

So wish me luck.

SW 208.7
10/24 206.0
IGW 199.9
IGW 175.0
GW 145.0

Sharon
Old 10-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #11  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

We are here and cheering you on Sharon! I know YOU can DO IT!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote