Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

Default Hikers: tips for preparing?

Hello all!

I really want to get into hiking and I was wondering if there's anything I can do to prepare workout-wise. Also, I don't want to buy a lot of gear since I'm just starting out. So far I'm just saving up for shoes!

Thank you!
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

I would suggest the stair stepper I really think that's the closest way to prepare for hiking physically in a gym. Anything involving stepping up really. Also swimming since it will build up your lungs, endurance, is easy on the joints, and a great cardio workout. Lunges too are good.

Its good you're saving up for a good pair of shoes bc shoes will really make or break hiking! Also, I'd suggest buying a camel back or even just a camel back bladder(which are much cheaper) and putting it in your regular day pack. Makes staying hydrated so easy and its really nice having your hands free plus its a small pack and you can easily stash some essentials for your hike in there.

Have fun!
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

stair stepper is good, and i'd also suggest changing the incline on the treadmill. Be sure to switch the incline from time to time - from 0 up to 10, maybe up to 25, if it'll go that high, back down to 0.

i prefer the hiking boots that cover the ankle - more stability - and get the best quality you can afford. Make sure there's room for a thicker pair of socks [or two pairs of socks] for cold weather hiking.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #4  

The best way to get hiking is just to do it. Take breaks, go slow when you need to, but get out there and it will condition you quick! I agree with others that when I can't make it to the trail, I walk on the incline treadmill at the gym. Any cardio is good. For me, the biggest challenges with hiking at my weight and fitness level are the cardio endurance for climbing and knee pain walking back down. I try to keep it low impact when I am not on the trail, so I don't run.

As far as gear, shoes with pretty rigid soles, good traction, and ankle support are essential. I know you're not interested in getting a lot right away, but trekking poles are very nice for beginners if you know anyone you could borrow some from. They make it easier to climb hills and keep balance until you get more conditioned. Dress in comfortable moisture wicking clothing, preferably in layers. Depending on where you are weather can change rapidly. And if you plan to go into backcountry, please be prepared with the basics: plenty of water, a rain jacket, map, flashlight, matches, and food (an energy bar or something is good to keep with you).

Last edited by heftyhiker; 10-21-2014 at 04:57 PM.
heftyhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Start:245 Current:160

Height: 5'5.5

Bring tissues. Like tons and tons of tissues. Whenever I hike my nose runs like crazy. A combination of wind and altitude and exertion just sets it off.
Olly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #6  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Hiking is the best way to get into hiking

But if you're like me and you don't have time to travel to an area to go hiking often, there's a few different activities at the gym that I find really helpful.

-The stair machine. Most gyms have them and they prepare to relatively well.
-The Arc Trainer. It's like a mix between an elliptical and a stair machine, but not all gyms have them.
-Weights. Work on strengthening your leg muscles AND your core muscles.
-The treadmill. I have a love/hate relationship with this, but it truly is the best way to do it. Set the treadmill on the highest incline, start at around 2MPH (maybe a bit less if you're really inactive), and LET GO. You don't want to be hanging onto the treadmill, or else you won't actually be training your body for hiking. The first minute, you'll think I'm an idiot. It will feel easy. But let me know how you feel after 10.

Depending on where you are going hiking, you can probably get away with regular sneaks. If it is a well manicured trail, you likely don't have to worry about slipping on rocks. It just depends on the terrain.

Contrary to popular belief, boots don't actually support your ankle from injury. I've been reading a lot about this lately, because I have a horrible time with boots while hiking (blisters, broken toenails, etc.) However, if you knowingly have ankle issues, please wear boots (though they are unlikely to actually protect you). If you don't, consider trail runners, trail shoes, or just a mid-height boot. These will all have good traction, and the bonus is they are cheaper and easier to hike in.

Gonna agree with Olly on the tissues LOL And cough drops! I always need cough drops when I hike in colder weather.

Last edited by nonameslob; 10-22-2014 at 02:22 PM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I don't hike. I run.

And the best exercise for that to make me run faster, longer (other than the running itself) and without injury is....squats.

Load up the bar (slowly!).

It will work for hiking too.

PS With squats, however, comes oats. I hope you eat those!

Last edited by IanG; 10-22-2014 at 08:56 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #8  

Hiking poles and good shoes, put some water and depending on length of hike some snacks in your backpack and just go.

Hiking poles make it easier but at the same time make it a full body work out and you burn roughly 40% more calories.

A hike can be as long or short as you want, go start small and work up to bigger ones.
Valmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Also, if you're on facebook, search for hiking/backpacking groups to join. I'm in groups for the John Muir Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, Chilkoot Trail, Florida Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

The tips and tricks, training advice, gear reco's, etc., you will get from these groups full of super experienced hikers and backpackers will blow your mind.

And the photos of their trips and links to their trail reports will have you salivating to get out there yourself!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote