Old 10-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #93

Good morning, ladies. 47 degrees right now. I turned the heat on this morning. I wonder when the leaves will turn colors.

On my way to the gym right now so I'll write more later.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN ROCKTOBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

I goofed around and had gained some weight back and then I finally decided enough of that. This past week with my sticking to my program with my drink I lost 6 pounds. We shall see what this next week will bring. I am happy to be almost back to the point in my weight before I started gaining. I seem to have just lost my way after reaching 90 pounds down and started the upward climb. Anyway my point is that I am back to wanting to lose weight seriously and have 2 pounds to lose to be back to the 90 mark. Hopefully I will be under the 90 mark at next week’s weigh in. I am so tired of being overweight.

SUSAN Thanks for starting a new thread.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #3  

Good Morning! It's another beautiful day in my neighborhood, 70s and sunshine predicted for the next few days. I've been to church and left frustrated! The computer froze just as I was about done, and the secretary lost everything I had posted, then couldn't fix the problem. She said she would do the posting since she's the one who lost it. A couple weeks ago a member whose bank automatically makes a monthly donation, mentioned to the other gal who counts, it was on her bank statement but not on her quarterly church statement. I did find that mistake, and it was mine. The hospital payroll person keeps asking if I've checked my figures against the deposit figure she made. Duh, well yes and several times. I'm no accountant but I'm right and she's wrong this time! I think my bp is up a few points! I have a meeting this afternoon and need to decide what I'm wearing. Bob is on the road for combine parts so won't see him until tonight. It took most of yesterday to tear it apart so they are hoping it will go back together faster so they can be back in the fields.

"Gma," my furnace has been on for weeks. I hate being cold, and I wear long sleeves. Momma cat finally came back last night, along with the possum and the raccoon.

Susan, thanks for starting a new thread. Most of the trees around here are turning beautiful colors this fall. It's interesting the pattern some trees have as they turn. Congrats on going to the gym!

Maggie, when you lose, you lose BIG! Six pounds are gone and never to be found again!

Hope you all have a marvelous Monday and enjoy the day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all. It is not as chilly this morning as it was yesterday morning, but still sweater weather. Supposed to be near 80 later this week.

For some reason little by little our teaspoons have dwindled and we are down to 4 so I ordered just some generic ones so we have enough. I use one for my fiber and Jack for his cereal and then we hardly have enough for Jack's coffee or my breakfast etc. Part of it is teaspoons going down the disposal and not seeing them and turning it on and it chunks them up and have to throw them away. I think when Jack takes some different lunches he loses them too.

I have to go back into the doctor a week from today for a recheck. The glue is starting to come off now so it itches and I worry about it getting caught on clothing and ripping. I noticed a larger piece has peeled away from the skin now and you aren't supposed to mess with it. I may take my little scissors and cut it though if it gets too big so it won't catch.

Weigh day was yesterday and I was down 6 lbs also.

Susan: I keep asking Jack if he stays warm at night and as long as he does I am not going to turn on the furnace. I stay warm in the house during the day and he isn't here so no sense in wasting money.

Maggie: Just keep plodding along. Congrats on the loss.

Jean: Don't you hate to be treated like you are stupid? I hate the idea of giving up sandals and capris for the year. I try and wear elastic waist stuff to go to my surgeon's as he just pulls it down to look at my belly, but usually when it gets cold I start wearing jeans all the time.

Well girls I need to go. Have a nice Tuesday! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon! It's another beautiful day in my neighborhood. I have a roast cooking which will most likely be leftovers since Bob gets home well beyond the supper hour. I went to card club last night and even took "high," which is a first in many, many years. It wasn't my expert playing, I had good partners. I counted gift shop money this morning and ran into another snafu on the payroll deduction so took the paperwork with me when I went in for my flu shot. The volunteer director overcharged an employee so has to "fix" it. Tomorrow is my morning to work in the gift shop and bell practice.

"Gma," On your 6#s that are gone forever! The gift shop mistake ended up being mine. For some reason one column on the spreadsheet didn't add correctly on one day. I compile the whole week, day by day, for totals and that's the sheet I kept going over. I did apologize to the accountant for asking her to recheck her figures. I have found a couple of their mistakes over the years, but usually it's my screw-up. Hope you don't come unglued!

I need to peel some potatoes and carrots so better get moving. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening!
Old 10-22-2014, 12:39 AM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking

Here is a recipe that I am going to try one day this week for I have all the ingredients for it. I got it from my WW leader today.

WW CROCKPOT CHICKEN STROGANOFF
1 lb. boneless skinless, frozen chicken beasts
1 can fat-free cream of mushroom soup
16 oz. light sour cream
1 envelope dry onion soup mix

Put frozen chicken breasts on the bottom of crock pot.
Mix together the soup, sour cream and onion soup mix.
Pour the mix on top of the chicken breasts.
Cook on low 8 hours.
Serve over whole wheat pasta or brown rice.

That recipe sounded so yummy to me I wanted to share it with you gals.

We had a great time at dinner for we went to our favorite Mexican place and took the young couple with us that work at the museum. I know how to count the points for what I ordered so all is OP for me this day.

Will went for his treatment today and they didn’t give it to him because his white blood cell count wasn’t high enough. They said that in all the years they have been giving treatments like his he is the first that that has happened to and they can write a paper on it. He will go in the next couple days to get shots that help bring the count up. Seems that instead of getting the treatments every two weeks he is getting his every three weeks.

JEAN OH no it isn't me but Donna Fay that looses in chunks. I usually just lose by a half or a pound at a time but thanks anyway for the nice thing you said.

DONNA FAYE That gave me a chuckle about how you lose your teaspoons. Hope when you go to replace them they still make the same pattern. I hope the glue stays on you as long as it should. Some is meant to come off when it is supposed to.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. Chilly willy this morning. My hands are cold so a sure sign it is getting colder.

I was up later this am as I spiked a low fever last night so took some Tylenol and a pain pill so I could sleep and it would go down. I told Jack if it wasn't better this morning I would call the doctor, but it seems to be gone now as I took my temp this morning and it was normal.

I was going to go tomorrow and get my nails done, but I am just not up to it yet so will wait until next week and see how I feel. It is mostly just tiredness and I know that is to be expected for 2-3 weeks just from surgery causing you to be tired when you exert yourself in any way. I need to go up and take a shower after I get done here and clean up and dress and put some long pants on to keep my legs warm.

Jean: Glad the snafu was found no matter who made it. Sometimes it can drive you made not being able to find a mistake. It used to when I was the secretary for the private school and had to balance the checkbook. I had them give me my flu shot while I was in the hospital since I don't see my regular dr until January. I do need to go ahead and get the shingles vaccine though and I can get it through CVS pharmacy at no cost to me. I have always felt that way when player partner cards if we win it is the partner not me that is better.

Maggie: I made tacos and Spanish rice the other night so we are full up on Mexican. I can measure everything out so I know pts on them. Glad you had a good time.

Everyone have a great middle of the week. Today is my son's 41st bday. How time flies!!! Faye
Old 10-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon! It's another nice day although a little windier than yesterday. The rain is supposed to be here around 4. I worked the gift shop this morning and sold two items. We had a good week last week so not expecting much this week. I ran some errands afterwards and now home until bell practice time. Long story, short version, I hit the edge of my car mirror on the metal outside mailbox at the post office. I was trying to avoid a Mexican coming in the exit and not paying attention to how close I was to the mailbox. I took it to the garage and the guy found some paint and touched up the scratch. When I got home and looked at it, it's a different color red, and the scratch is deep enough it needs to be filled in. Soooooo, I will have Bob go back after harvest and have it fixed "right." I have a couple loads of laundry waiting and some checks to write for the gift shop.

Maggie, thank you for sharing the recipe. It sounds good. Let us know when you try it. I hope the shot will build up Will's blood count so he can have his next treatment. I'd say losing 6#s is a great big loss no matter who lost it!

"Gma," glad your temperature is back to normal. to Jay! Doesn't it seem like yesterday that our own kids were babies? I'd have a baby every year if they didn't grow up. I love it when they snuggle in and like to rock.

I hope all is well with all of you, and you enjoy the rest of the day!

Last edited by Jean; 10-22-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #9  

Good morning to you all. Pretty chilly here this morning. Our thermostat says it is 65 in the house so I am going to have to turn on the furnace sooner or later I guess.

I am almost to the toe of T's sock so should be done with it no later than next week even if I don't work on it very much. I can then launder and block them and they will be ready for Christmas.

My son got on the local news last Saturday when FSU beat Notre Dame. I guess they were asking folks on the street. Cool thing is he had on the Notre Dame hat I made him for his birthday a couple years ago so my knitting is now famous! You can see it on my FB page. He is going through another of his scruffy periods wearing a beard. UGH! He has to wear dress clothes to work everyday as he is an advertising executive so why he would want that ugly ole beard is beyond me.

I have a recheck apt on the 28th, hair apt on the 8th and my mammogram and sonogram on the 10th. I imagine I will have another recheck apt the week after that and I need to make an endometrial biopsy apt with they gyn somewhere in there too. That one I am not looking forward to as it is uncomfortable in the best of circumstances, but with a lower groin hernia repair and a big ole incision not completely healed is liable to be worse but it needs to be done. I would like to be done with doctors for awhile, but have to see my regular dr and pharmacy dr in January.

I think we have decided to do what they call a back to back in 2016 for cruising. We will start a cruise on Saturday for a week, get back in on Saturday, get off that ship and turn around on Sunday and get back on another ship and cruise for another week. It isn't firm as the dates aren't available yet to book, not until after the first of the year, but we decided we probably wouldn't like the smaller ships that offer less to do so we are going to just leave that deposit in place then switch it when the new dates come out for the big ships. I checked out the area to see if there were Laundromats we could go to on Saturday and wash all our cruise clothing and repack it for the second week rather than try and take two weeks of clothing plus clothes for traveling down and back. There is a nice one less than 5 miles from the hotel we will stay at again so we can get off the ship, pick up the car, wash and repack our clothing then check into the hotel for the night then be ready to go the next morning.

I picked out yarn to make a couple throw pillows for the new living room furniture when we order it. We plan on gray walls throughout the downstairs, decided on gray laminate plank flooring for living room, entrance and new pantry area and gray plank tiling for kitchen, laundry and downstairs half bath. I am going to go with white cabinets and probably a colored countertop, but going to use green, white and yellow for everything else pretty much. So, I want to get started making the pillows. We are started with smaller stuff that needs to be done next year and I want to get my island as soon as possible so they still have it. It has a drop leaf where you can sit to eat, leather chairs, and on wheels which will make it easier to move around. It has storage underneath and a granite top so it is pretty heavy. With our galley style kitchen we can drop the leaf when not in use and roll the island back against the window when we aren't sitting at it.

I got my shopping cart last night and it is great. It is pretty big and all Jack had to do was put on the wheels. It can hold up to 150 lbs so it will be great to bring in groceries from the garage, thus not putting me in a position of carrying stuff I shouldn't. It folds up flat so it can just be slid into either the back seat or the rear of the suv.

Jean: I miss not having a baby to cuddle with. I didn't get to see Jackson a lot nor Thomas when they were babies. Thomas because she didn't want us to hold him for some reason and Jack we didn't see that much. They do grow up fast though, don't they? I had our car two weeks and scraped the mirror but good when I hit a home mailbox. It is not dinged up over the years we have had it from people whacking it when they get out of their cars at shopping parking lots. We got something from the dealership wanting to give us almost half what we paid for it as a trade in and I told Jack we are not trading it in. I want to have two vehicles down the line when we buy another car if he is going to continue to work several more years. We are planning on buying a new car right before we go on the next cruise in 2016 unless we have to before then, but the Mariner is in great shape. Now he is talking of working until he has 25 years in which will put him mid 70's so we shall see. It will certainly bump up his pension quite a bit for sure.

Gals have a great day. Faye
Old 10-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon! We got a little over a half inch of rain last night, and got up to dense fog. A couple area schools had late starts because of the fog. The sun has come out and leaves are falling. I had an Auxiliary board meeting this morning, did a load of farm jeans, and now have to wash the farm shirts. Bob went to the farm to help burn an old corn crib; I'm hoping his help was just watching. I need to dust and vacuum after lunch. My rocker now has a crunch noise every once in awhile. Bob worked on it last night, but after a few rocks, it's making a noise again. He said to get rid of it but I need a replacement first!

"Gma," I wonder if companies will ever go back to dress codes, no facial hair, hair cut to a certain length, etc. When Bob first started his job 33 years ago, he had to wear a suit or sport coat when he went to the home office. He wore the same here, but some of the farmers told him they didn't especially feel comfortable coming to the office in their farm clothes. It was really bad if they had cattle and/or hogs. Phewy! Now it's business casual and jeans on Friday. You definitely have a plan of action for your next cruise and house remodeling. I think picking paint, carpet or flooring, is a pain. You will have fun with the pillows. The house where I played cards the other night is decorated to the hilt with lots of orange accent items for fall. Very attractive but way to much stuff sitting around for me. They don't have animals and evidently no dust.

I need to fix something for lunch and get busy afterwards. Enjoy the rest of your terrific Thursday!
Old 10-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday & a Very Nice Cool Cloudy Day

I just got back from having lunch with the museum folks and we had a lively time of it. Two of the folks have told me that if I don’t come then they won’t either which is a great compliment. One of them is the director and he loves to talk with me and the other one loves to listen. So, I guess I will go every time if possible. I am not bragging just stating the facts. They want me to become a volunteer at the museum but I don’t want to do that for one of us down there is enough.

After Will finishes with his treatments we are going to plan a month’s get-away and be happy campers. Our leaving the area permanently has been pushed farther into the future which isn’t a bad thing for we both love this area and the folks in it. The time has not yet come to retire but we need to get rid of a lot of the “stuff” we have accumulated.

DONNA FAYE Doing back to back cruises sounds interesting. What a handy sounding folding cart which will be a great help for you. We have a 2 wheel dolly that folds up which is great and we use it a lot.

JEAN That guy that "fixed" you car damage needs to go to some training to learn how to properly do that kind of work it would seem

Last edited by Maggie; 10-23-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all. Not as chilly this morning it seems. My legs and feet aren't cold like they were yesterday.

My yarn should be here today so I will get started on my pillow shams. I am still deciding which patterns to do though. I have white yarn and a few other colors that might compliment on the other side so I may make them only one side patterned who knows? Still working on T's sock.

My son is having surgery this morning and should go home this afternoon if all goes well. He had a congenital defect he never even knew about until he went into the doctor for something else so he is getting both things done. My dil said she would let us know when all was done and ok and we plan on calling him tomorrow when he feels more up to it. He can sit around and watch football tomorrow.

Tonight is takeout night. We haven't decided what we want to do yet. I am still feeling tired a lot and so Jack suggested takeout tonight.

Jean: A good bit of our leaves have fallen so if the weather holds next weekend we will get them cleaned off the deck. I refuse to bag them and stuff since they do nothing for the money we pay for maintenance so I am not making any effort to bag up the leaves. They can just get their lousy lawn crew to clean them up if they want them bagged up. I hate it when Jay goes through his scruffy look He changes it all the time though so am sure this won't last long. He is so handsome when his hair is cut and he is clean shaven. Jack can't say much because he refuses to shave everyday to work at the plant. He showers and puts on clean clothing, but he will not shave everyday. He also won't buy an electric razor which I have been trying to encourage for years. Ahh well, it is his choice and since it isn't like he works in some shiny office everyday but amongst rodents, bugs, spider webs dirt and who knows what all I guess it isn't a big deal.

Maggie: Glad Will is coming along ok. Hopefully his medication treatments will do the trick.

Everyone have a great weekend. Faye
Old 10-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #13  

Happy Friday! It's a strange weather morning in my neighborhood, very humid. It's cloudy but supposed to have sunshine and get up to 77 this afternoon, so says the Sioux City weatherman. We'll see as the day goes along. Bob had to transplant a possum to his new home this morning, then headed to the farm. After today, barring a breakdown or rain, he said they should be half done. It seems like the harvest is taking so much longer this year but the yields are way up because of all our rain. I've got laundry going and will balance out the gift shop books for the week this afternoon. I need to get back to my sorting and pitching too. Why is that not so much fun?

Maggie, glad you enjoy having lunch with your museum friends. That is a treat for sure. Planning a get-away is half the fun of going.

"Gma," I hope Jay gets along ok with his surgery, and mends quickly. Same day surgery sure has become the norm. My coffee date friend is having more breast tissue removed today; she has to stay "close" for 24 hours (in MN) and then can come home. Any time someone else cooks is a winner for me! Enjoy!

I need to get a move on and accomplish something this morning. Enjoy a fantastic Friday and be thankful!

Last edited by Jean; 10-24-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Fantastic Friday

I wonder what has been going on lately for Wal-Mart parking lot has been full for the last week or so. Can’t be that many Halloween shoppers I would think. It is nice that folks are out spending for sure. We are here to buy some flavorings which I use in my health drinks.

It is a wonderful warm day here in the ♥-Land with just a nice lite breeze blowing. We got our yearly invite to have Thanksgiving with our friends that manage Applebees that have adopted us. They sure put on a nice spread for the meal. Last year they had the traditional turkey and all the fixins and chicken fried steak and chicken fried chicken with all the side dishes you could imagine that goes with all that. The grandmother said she wants to have Thanksgiving at her house and invite us but it is way too small for the whole group to be in it at once. What a sweet lady. One of their daughters owns a nice little shop that sells coffee beans and all kinds of spices and kitchen stuff and makes the best cheese cakes. We get our fresh ground coffee from her and an occasional piece of cheese cake.

JEAN That is so nice that the crops are giving a good yield this year. It will be nice to get away and give the MH a good try out. We have not used it since we brought it home after we bought it out of state. We may have to get a new fridge in it but I sure hope not.

DONNA FAYE I am sure what ever you decide to do with those pillows will look great. Please take pictures when you get your remodeling all done. I can imagine it will be like a magazine picture.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #15  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it's promising to be another nice day in my corner of the world. Our big maple trees are finally beginning to turn colors and the leaves are falling off the party neighbor's back yard tree. I love that tree because with the leaves I can't see them and they can't see me. I feel like I am in a gold fish bowl when I can see them in their kitchen. Bob claims they don't pay any attention to us, but I'm paranoid I guess. Plan for the day is a trip to the bank with gift shop money, library, and grocery store. Bob left early because the elevator opened at 7 and the semi was ready to unload. I'm sure I could find a pile of laundry to do too.

Maggie, how nice that you already have an invitation to share Thanksgiving with friends. We usually go to my "sister's" but haven't heard anything yet. Her daughter is being married, in January, in California. I imagine, at some point, she will have a trip out there to help with wedding plans. Beth and Jason go to their in-laws for turkey day, and here for Christmas. Christmas will be here before we know it.

I need to get dressed and get my day going. Hope you all enjoy a super Saturday!