Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 03:48 PM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Where'd I go wrong?

Ok, I'm trying to stay on induction. I know about the stalls and such. I hadn't realised I did the weight loss process THAT much harm by having the chocolate whipped stuff. Or is it possible that it's just because TOM is taking it's sweet time getting here? I was happy with 2 pounds a week shedding off this frame of mine. Made working on the treadmill and lifting weights actually seem worth it. But I was shedding more BEFORE I started doing that. Hmm.....a good reason NOT to workout maybe?

Need a little encouraging words (again). I hate feeling like I'm failing (AGAIN).
Old 01-29-2004, 04:28 PM   #2  
Head Princess

Brenda - You can not measure success by the scale alone. There are a lot of factors involved. Pay attention to how your body is changing. Are your muscles firmer? Are you physically able to do more? How are your clothes fitting? How do you feel?

Starting an exercise program can make it appear that we're stalling when we're really gaining muscle that results in greater fat burning ablility.

When you lose weight quickly, your body will stop every once in a while because it needs time to adjust. Be patient! It will happen!

Also, the less weight you have to lose, the harder it becomes to get those pounds off. It's not a stall unless you've gone at least 3 weeks without any change in weight or size.

And I know you've heard this one a million times, but keep in mind that it took time to put the weight on - it's going to take time to take it off.

Keep up the good work - you're doing great!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:44 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Where did you go wrong ????

Lady, your so mistaken, you are doing the best thing you could for your body and that is exercise. I know it sucks not to see the scale move but your gaining muscle which in the long run helps you not only physially be stronger and helps your bones, but it will burn fat faster.

Don't punish yourself, success isn't always the number.

NOW HIT THE FLOOR AND GIVE ME 50....... hehehe just joshin.

Hugs to you !!!
Old 01-29-2004, 09:28 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

Are your muscles firmer? what muscles?
Are you physically able to do more? I can breathe while bending over
How are your clothes fitting? depends on what time of day it is
How do you feel? umm....lately I'm tired again. Not sleeping well for some reason.

um...50? how about 1??

Thanks Star and Leenie. I needed a little pep (stern tongue lashing ) to remind me that I can do this and to not give up. I also need to get some groceries so I'm not always eating beef
Old 01-29-2004, 09:35 PM   #5  
Princess in Training

As far as I can tell, you're doing a lot right.

In Atkin's book, he says weight loss after the first two weeks *should* be slower so we can adjust to the plan as a way of life rather than a crash diet. Most diets lose water weight in the beginning, but 1/2-3 pounds lost a week is perfectly normal. Expecting more than 2 pounds a week is, I believe, unreasonable and bound to set you up for failure. While some of us certainly *can* lose more than 2 pounds a week, the expectation of losing it is not a good mind set to get into.

If you're continuing to monitor carbs accurately and staying focused on eating on plan, you're doing everything right. As for your slips and cheats, consider this to be the time when you're working out your bad habits and trying to replace them with healthy ones. I'd suggest *always* having tasty, legal snack foods around--premade so you can reach for it rather than sweets. I keep celery with cream cheese, olives, cheese, etc in tupperware in the FRONT of the fridge.

When you slipped, did you check a ketostix to see if it put you out of ketosis? Maybe the mini stall (although I'm fairly sure your stall is in fact just unrealistic expectations) is because you have to keep getting back into ketosis every time you cheat?

Anyway, I think you're being too hard on yourself even mentioning failure--but consider that it takes about 3 days to switch back to ketosis every time you eat a high level of carbs!
Old 01-30-2004, 07:47 AM   #6  
Baby Steps

I think I've been in my carb count even w/the whipped chocolate stuff. I'm usually in the low end and I don't think I usually go over 10. I guess I'm just so USED to failing that I'm setting myself up for it? If I stay eating like I've been I can't fail right? lol Hard to fail on meat, eggs, and veggies I guess. I'm going to try and be satisfied if 1 pound drops off a week At least it's better than 1 pound a week going ON (like it had been for a while there).

I guess I just needed the pep/stern realistic talks Thanks all
Old 01-30-2004, 02:59 PM   #7  

Lady ~ keep up the good work! I know that I have spoken (written is more like it) with other ladies on a different web site. And this one lady, who has done wonderfully on Atkins.....lost 63 #s so far! (She is looking great, BTW). Anyhoo, she has found out that when she has gone under 15 carbs a day, that it has actually caused her to stall. And that when she went between 15 and 20, that the weight was coming off.

I also have tried to stay as LOW as possible with my carbs, and then I took her advice and tried to stay between 15 and 20...and that is when it seems like I was losing weight the easiest.

Does anyone else have any other experiences in this area? I don't want to tell Lady something that will cause her harm. :-(

I hope that helps some. Keep up the good work, and maybe just starting tweaking your eating plan, and keep working out....that will help you also!

Take care,
Caroline
Old 01-31-2004, 08:52 PM   #8  
Baby Steps

WOOHOOO!!!! I managed to pass up CANDY BARS!!! Now that's never happened before. Gotta admit they LOOKED real good and were my FAVORITE kind! I'm not sure how I did it. I'm so proud of myself (now if only I could do that for the rest of my life! lol)
Old 01-31-2004, 10:54 PM   #9  

Wow , I am going to try and make sure I'm between 15-20 Gr. Ifeel like I am doing everything right. (except for 1 morning coffee/day)but think the pounds are very slow to come off.Im on day 17 but have ony lost 6 pounds.Here is my 2 week average chart off Fitday.Maybe I should bring down my fats?
I am trying to eat enough calories as I never used to get enough.I think I can feel and see body shape changes and its my TOM this week.Any advise?GOOD JOB FORGOING THE CANDY BAR BREN!!!

2 week Average

grams cals %total
Total: 1404
Fat: 97 871 64%
Sat: 33 297 22%
Poly: 9 77 6%
Mono: 32 290 21%
Carbs: 15 44 3%
Fiber: 4 0 0%
Protein: 114 457 33%
Alcohol: 0 0
Old 02-01-2004, 11:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Well as for personal experience, 6 months so far, my carbs are usually faily low, routinely under 15 grams. I pay the most attention to making sure I get enough fat (at least 65%) and keeping my calories around 1200-1500. The carb count doesn't seem to affect me unless it's too high, the ratios seem to be rather important for my body anyway. Vanisle, I'd be careful with lowering the fat ratios, they look good, weight seems to slow right down when the fats get below 60% or so. But see what your body prefers, mine seems to really like fat, the days I hit around 70F/2C/28P are the ones when my body lets go of all the weight. I try to get them in this range when my weight is the same for 7 days, it hasn't failed me yet. Good luck finding the right mix for you bodies. Brenda wtg on the candy bar!

Tummy
Closed Thread