Old 10-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/140

Height: 5'10"

Default Nursing and weightloss

So has anyone tried to lose weight while breastfeeding? I know that the very act itself is suppose to help with weightloss but probably not when you're eating pizza and ice cream....
gracesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

I'm currently breastfeeding my 8-month-old. I've lost about 40 pounds since I had her in January.

The breastfeeding does help (it adds about 500 to your required calories, so I was able to lose weight on 1800-2000 kcal/day instead of my usual 1300-1500), but it also means kind of walking a tightrope between low enough calories to lose weight and high enough calories to maintain your milk supply. For the first six months, I had to watch my intake VERY closely. If I ate over 2000 calories per day, I wouldn't lose weight, but if I went under 1800, my milk would shut off and I'd have a hungry baby. Exercising too much (like more than an hour a day, or anything in extremely high heat) shut off the milk, too. Now that she's eating solids too, though, I can be a bit more flexible about lowering calories or exercising more without damaging the milk supply.

I'm pretty experienced with the breastfeeding + weight loss thing by now (8 months with her, and 2 years breastfeeding my older kid, with about fifty pounds lost during the first year of that), so if you've got any questions, I'd be happy to try to help.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 95.6/75.6/65.6

Height: 165

I waited until my youngest was over 12 months before I seriously attempted my weight. I have lost 29kg so far and am still breastfeeding (1-3 times a day) my 22 month old toddler. I didn't add any extra calorie allowance for breastfeeding as one of my 'strategies' and I've experienced no change in supply since I started.
fitnhappy is offline   Reply With Quote