Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #1  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Default Are There Any Mall Walkers Of Any Age Here???

Im considering walking in the mall 3 days out of the week and I was wondering if there were any other mall walkers on this forum?
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm not against it but why do you want to walk in a mall? Is it because of inclement weather? What I don't like about malls is that they're loud, there's people everywhere walking at different paces so if you wanted to maintain a pace you'd constantly have to slow down or swerve, it doesn't seem conducive to keeping up momentum. I also crave natural light and I would prefer that during my work out I didn't have to walk by the pretzel stand lol.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

When I worked out of a call center that was located in the mall I walked there all the time. My mall always opened it's doors about 1 hr prior to the stores opening...to allow for the merchants to open, security to enter the building, grounds keepers, etc. so I was able to walk prior to anyone showing up. It was convenient for me at the time, but I've since switched jobs. One thing to consider is the level walking area. Many times I'd pick walking around the outside of the mall as opposed to the inside to give me a few inclines. Of course if the weather is bad the mall is great!

LOL I used to walk during my breaks and lunches there too! OMG talk about frustrating. Gaggles of people, all moving slowly, constantly walking around them in frustration. That's why I normally headed outside!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 PM   #4  
Turning Into A New Woman

Im considering walking at the mall because when I did it Saturday afternoon it seemed as though it didnt take as long to walk for an hour and 1/2 then it did walking for 45 mins here at home.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra1984 View Post
Im considering walking at the mall because when I did it Saturday afternoon it seemed as though it didnt take as long to walk for an hour and 1/2 then it did walking for 45 mins here at home.
If you mean walking for 45minutes on a treadmill then I agree, there is absolutely nothing that can make my time pass slower than a treadmill. I refuse to get on those things, I know people love them and they serve a great great purpose but I need to be outside, looking at things, walking in nature. Even the thought of a treadmill makes me depressed, I see people at the gym walking on it for like an hour! just staring at the television. I prefer workouts that challenge my mind, my agility, I want to only focus on the workout itself and I can't do that on a treadmill.

Walking in the mall probably woke up your senses, which made the time go by quicker. But I do wonder if dodging people slowed you down making your workout just a tad less effective? It's something to think about.

I don't mean to go on about this because it's a perfectly fine workout. However, I find so much inspiration at my local park. I see older ladies working out and managing better than I can and it fills me with hope that one day I'll be an old lady running around a track field too. I live in nyc so I have a need to get out to the park and see a tree or two. In other words, I like to surround myself with other people who are partaking of healthful activities like walking, jogging, even sitting and enjoying the sunlight on a bench. At a mall I feel overwhelmed by busy people running about finishing their shopping, it's not a calm conducive atmosphere.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #6  
Turning Into A New Woman

Nope I wasnt talking about a treadmill but thanks for replying to my thread though.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #7  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

I know a few shopping centers here have mall walking before the shops open.
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #8  
Turning Into A New Woman

Thats awesome
Old 03-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #9  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I always turn my walking app on when I hit the mall, and make it a point to loop around every level. I can check my distance, average pace, and calories burned, even though I often slow down to window shop.

I like the scenery and feel motivated by cute outfits I can't yet fit into, lol. And it's great when it's just too hot to be outside in the summer months (I live in Vegas). They do open the mall before the shops open and allow walkers.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #10  
Turning Into A New Woman

Thats great, I wonder if they open before the stores open for the mall walkers everywhere, I'll have to check into that.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #11  
Less of a Better Me

I drive my daughter to college a couple of days a week, then pick her up. There isn't enough time to make it worthwhile to drive home so sometimes I drive over to a nearby mall and walk it. I wear a Fitbit so I know how many steps I walked and the distance. I like doing it.

For those wondering why I would prefer that to walking outside, there are two reasons. First - I do like walking outside and often do it in my neighborhood. I walk with my DH so I don't get bored.

But the mall has 2 advantages. When the pollen is up, walking outside really messes with my allergies. Second, from about May to October it is just too hot for me to be able to tolerate walking outside. The mall is also good when it is raining or too cold.

I haven't found a problem with people being too slow. I usually am able to do this during a weekday, though, so it isn't as crowded as it might be on the weekend. I find it a little more interesting when I'm by myself to walk around the mall. If your mall offers the option, it is good to go up and down any stairs as well.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #12  
Turning Into A New Woman

Yeah I walk around the mall once a month and I walk outside in the mornings at 7:30 am before it gets too hot but your right I need to either join the Y or go to the mall when its snowy or rainy, All though the rain usually doesnt last all day so I walk outside after its done.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

We have a rain-season in Brazil so walking on malls is my only option for maybe 3 months. We'll have rain for weeks on end and sometimes we wake up to a pretty blue sky, so it's kinda crazy.
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 198/192/145

Height: 5'5"

I was thinking I could walk in the mall when the weather is bad.
lorib64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #15  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

I walk the mall when I can. I do 5 laps which equals to around 5 miles. A local hospital sponsors a mall walking program here. They have monthly meetings and have brochures, etc. The mall walkers usually walk before the mall officially opens. We have several malls here and I walk the mall that has less foot traffic. The only time this mall is a problem is after Thanksgiving, during the holidays. I was walking one Saturday afternoon and ended up walking with one of the regular mall walkers. She had something come up that morning and couldn't walk at her normal time. I think she was around 75 y/o. Yes, I was doing my best to keep up with her. On top of that she was talkative! Which is great except, I was huffing and puffing and doing all I could do to keep up with her.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote