Old 10-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #92

Good Morning! It's a very dark dreary morning in my neighborhood, although not as cold as the weatherman predicted it would be. The street is wet and it's supposed to rain more again today. I don't have to be anywhere today until bell practice at 5. The Rotary Club is having a fund raiser bar-b-q so I will drive through and pick up our supper after practice. I have more laundry to do, but otherwise I should get back to closet sorting, and the blasted afghan. Stuff just seems to accumulate when I'm not looking.

Maggie, I think cats are notorious for hiding their "treasures" and then finding them again. I know every once in awhile a toy will reappear that I haven't seen for awhile. I'm glad Turn remembered where he hid Spidey and returned him to you.

"Gma," do you know what caused the swelling in your leg? I'm sorry you had to leave the concert early but glad you got to hear Thomas play. I love the idea of the photo blanket for your friends! I think it is so fun to travel with another couple, and so glad you enjoyed the cruise. I can't imagine your house ever being "nasty!"

I need to get dressed and get my day going. Hope you enjoy a wonderful Wednesday and the first day of October!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Still Wednesday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN ROCKTOBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

I love my Cuisinart appliance that has different plates to insert to make sandwiches or grill on or make waffles but it is heavy. I found a grill, waffle & sandwich maker that is half size. Instead of making a 4 section waffle for instance it makes 2 sections. It comes with all the metal plates and will be great in the MH. So I ordered it today.

We have been out and about shopping and doing other stops along the way. Will bought the prettiest pink dress shirt ~ only real men can wear pink don’t ya know.

We did go through the food freezer and tossed some old stuff. The other freezer just has meat in it so we left it be. The next freezer I need to attack is the side one in the kitchen fridge. I am sure I can toss some bits and pieces I have hiding in it.

JEAN BBQ sounds good for supper. I found some stew frozen and am going to put some dumplings in it for dinner.

DONNA FAYE Question: Did your main squeeze get his favorite snails to eat on the cruise? I sure hope your swelling abates soon.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

Last edited by Maggie; 10-01-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #3  

Good morning gals. I was up at 5 working on the durn laundry and trying to make some progress on the darn stuff. I have got about 4 loads done so far, but I still have a long way to go. I am going upstairs and put away all the hygiene and meds stuff and clean the bathrooms and put away any clothes that Jack didn't get put away last night. Going to be a process, hopefully I can get it done through the weekend since we got groceries yesterday.

My dr apt to schedule my surgery is next Wednesday then we will get it all set up and get it over with. I didn't have any problems with it on the cruise at all.

Please pray for my brother and his family. My brother has to have a pacemaker inserted today and his son got hurt in his college football game on Saturday and is in the hospital with several injuries including a high fever and vomiting. They are afraid of a brain injury. He is only 19!

I started Thomas's second sock this morning. I ended up having to just toss out the scarf I was making to go along with the hat and mittens for my stylist. The yarn had breaks in it in several places and I kept having to splice it. I pick it up on the cruise one day and the thing was unraveling at the first splice and I saw it just wasn't going to hold together. I figured the first time she washed it that it would fall apart so I just chucked it. I bought her a Pandora style bracelet on the cruise instead. It is all silver so she can add colored beads in her choice if she chooses.

Maggie: Yes, Jack had escargot once. They only had it one time instead of every night. He had scallops a couple times instead and he had lamb and duck on the cruise, both things that are unusual for him. Glad the kitty found his treasure.

Jean: We figured it was the heat, humidity and then compounded by sitting a lot since it was painful to walk. It was really horrible. My leg swelled so badly it was shiny. I was scared it was going to just split open on me. It was painful to even moisturize it, but I did it anyway every night. I also took twice my diuretic bp meds to try and reduce the fluid build up, which is what it was completely. Both my legs and feet are almost back to normal, thank goodness. I did ride around in a cart for grocery shopping yesterday because this has payed havoc with my bad knee and it was killing me.

I better get out of here and get upstairs before it gets too hot. It is supposed to be hot here today. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #4  

Good Morning! It's very foggy in my neighborhood this morning, wet, and gloomy. The sun did come out yesterday afternoon and it was warm enough to go outside without a jacket. I'm hoping for the same today because we plan to head to Sioux Falls for Ian's football game. He and Kolby are both selling popcorn for scouts and I have my orders ready. They do the same as Girl Scouts and have the popcorn on hand. I guess the leaders figure it saves the kids an extra trip of trying to catch people home to deliver and collect the money. Beth says the problem is people will ask for a certain kind that has sold out and the girls get stuck with boxes of a least favorite kind. I have nothing planned for this morning except some laundry and cleaning out the kitchen junk drawer.

Maggie, Bob has a pink shirt too. I talked him into it a few years ago; he wears it but not very often. He has a dark suit with a tiny maroon fleck in it, and with the pink shirt and maroon tie he looks pretty sharp. Alas, the bar-b-q turned out to be grilled thick Iowa pork chops and they were very dry. I ended up cutting mine into tiny bites to share with the deck cat. They usually grill turkey fillets but our turkey plant had a fire last spring and still isn't processing turkeys yet.

"Gma," it's a lot of work coming home from vacation! I always feel like it takes me a week to get my sleep schedule back on track. I saw on TV where a football player had to have help getting up and had a concussion. The STUPID coach said it wasn't his call to keep him out of the game. If not him, then who? As a parent I'd be on that coach like he's never experienced! I hope the pacemaker does the "fix" for your brother, and your nephew has no permanent damage.

I need to get dressed and put breakfast dishes in the dishwasher, and clear off the counter. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday & a Very Nice Cool Rainey Day

It’s raining and I am a happy camper. I just talked to Will on the phone and his presentation to the senior meeting was a huge success. He spoke to them last year and they liked him so much they invited him back this year. His topic this year went over so good that they want him back again next year. His talks are on the old west and happenings around here. Today his topic was on the "Wild Women of the West." He did some digging in old papers and books and clippings and came up with some very unusual gals. Some were doctors, and nurses that worked at night to make a living. One was even a serial killer and then there was the one that was traveling with the army and was married 3 times. She was lovely and always wore a vale. Her last husband removed her vale on their wedding night and discovered he was married to a bearded man who disappeared and no one knew where he went. The army guy was teased about it so much he committed suicide. Very interesting lives of gals he came up with and the folks loved his presentation. The museum director was so impressed he wants Will to do the presentation for another group.

I don’t have anything out of the ordinary to speak of this day. It is in the high 60˚s and raining so that is good. I love the sound of the pitter patter of the rain on the roof.

Krusteaz® makes a boxed mix of “No Knead Classic Sourdough." It is a way to make a good loaf without using my bread machine. I am thinking of not taking my bread machine along in the MH since I can buy these boxed mixes.

DONNA FAYE I sure do hope your nephew isn't going to have any long issues from that brain injury from that accident. What a terrible thing to happen to a young person playing a sport. My daughter had a real bad thing happen to her brain and never got all back of what she had.

JEAN That is too bad they dried out those lovely thick pork chops. Our last grilled ones were so good. The October issue of Cooking Light magazine has some Super Simple Pork Chop Dinners that look yummy.

Last edited by Maggie; 10-02-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #6  

Good morning gals. It is going to be nice today with low 70's temps. Fall is coming for sure.

I have one load in the washer to go in the dryer and then I have all the laundry caught up. It isn't all put away quite yet though. I can't carry the basket upstairs so will have to wait for Jack to do that when he gets home around 11:30. He had to take half day off to go to SS office and set everything up for next year.

I have the cuff done on T's second sock so will work on that some. I want to clean the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms today to get started on cleaning the house back up. It rained hard yesterday so don't know if we can do leaves this weekend or not. They may be too wet. I will get them swept out from in front of the door and down the walkway though so we don't drag them into the house.

Update on my nephew. He has a concussion and is doing better. His dad has stupidly decided to not have the pacemaker put in right now as he would have to retire from Ford and he has three kids in college. How are they going to have college paid for if he is dead???? He has already collapsed once and broke his hip so bad they had to put steel rods in it and this was only about a month ago. Sometimes you have to put the burden on the kids somewhat with student loans and having a job to get through, and only the oldest one has ever had a job. Mama wouldn't let her treasured daughter work, but the kid with CP had to work to have spending money. GRRRRR

Maggie: I used to watch a program on tv about the real old west. It was interesting to see how rumor and legends were so off about what it was really like.

Jean: Have you ever tried the pork chops with the dry ranch dressing as a breading on them? I saw it on FB, but Jack is too chicken to try it. Jack has a short sleeved pink dress shirt that looks nice with his black suit too. He wore his suit once on the cruise to go to the steakhouse for dinner, but he wore a white shirt and a maroon tie with that.

Well gals, I had better check to see if the laundry is ready for the dryer. You all have a very nice weekend. I am getting back my routine and it feels good to have things under control again. Faye
Old 10-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #7  

Good Morning! It's a gloomy, cold, windy morning in my corner of the world. The weatherman just said it was 41 degrees, 25 mph winds, and a wind chill of 31! I'm not ready for this kind of weather yet! We left home in pouring rain yesterday. By the time we stopped to pick up church light bulbs in Sioux City, and made it to Sioux Falls, the sun was shining. Crazy weather! Ian had a great game and made one of the touchdowns. He is intimidating because he is big and some of the boys are pretty small. Final score was 16 - 13, so he will play again on Monday. Bob got some good pictures on his new camera. I wore my winter jacket and stayed warm in spite of a breeze. On my plan for the day is to make chili and help Bob replace church light bulbs after lunch. The washer is doing its job as I type.

Maggie, I was not a history buff in school and now wish I would have paid more attention. The history teachers I had were all pretty dry and just read from the book, answered the questions at the end of a chapter, then took a test. I'll bet Will makes his presentations really interesting. We don't usually buy the thick chops and we almost always marinate them. Our's are never dry, so the first bite was a surprise the other night. Miss Kitty enjoyed her's.

"Gma," you've hit the ground running ever since you got home. Hope your nephew continues to mend. I don't understand why your brother would have to retire. Lots of people work after receiving a pacemaker. It is his choice in the end. I did see the ranch dressing on pork chop recipe but haven't tried it. I wonder if one dressing packet would do two meals.

The chili is cooking and the washer should be finished. Hope you all enjoy a nice day!
Old 10-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking

It is chilly today enough for the heater to have come on. They are having open house at the gun shop for the current owner is now the owner and he is celebrating with a hot dog feed with all the fixins for the public. The hot dogs he got for the feed are the good large sized beef ones. Our friend that has a radio program was down there and interviewed Will. He loves talking with Will for it is always interesting to his listeners. Will will be down there till about 5 PM helping out for we are good friends with the owner.

Since Will is going to be gone all day and it is too cold to clean out the freezer part in the side by side fridge in the kitchen I think I will polish my fingernails. I will use a nice base coat then a couple coats of Sheer French Color which is a skin tone then a good top coat. My nails are getting to the length that they will need to be cut soon.

JEAN I had a wonderful teachers that made history come alive when they taught class. Especially my 8th grade one and one in my Sr. year of high school. Back then it was a fact that CA was first in education and that was a magnet for good teachers to come there. They aren't doing so well out there these days.

DONNA FAYE That is good news that your nephew won't have any bad lasting things going on in his body from that beating he took in football. The movies do change history to fit their story line and give folks the wrong impression of what really went on back then.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #9  

Good morning everyone. Very cool this morning in the upper 40's and only supposed to get into the 60's today. Fall is certainly in the air today.

I just talked to Jack about my female stuff on the way home from the cruise. I said I thought I had turned a corner as it seemed to be less frequent and slowing down. I have to eat my words. I am back to square one I guess and today is starting out pretty badly. It woke me up in the middle of the night. UGH!

Today is work on the house and put away the rest of the clothing. Time to get back to normal.

Maggie: Hope the hot dog feed goes well. I have to go and get my nails done on Monday. I hope I feel like it because they have to be done they have grown out so much.

Jean: Hurrah for Ian's team! Glad they won. Lee is an electrician and maybe it screws with it somehow. I don't know.

Well, gotta go. Have a great Saturday. Faye
Old 10-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #10  

Good Morning! The sun is shining brightly and it's a cold 29 degrees in my neighborhood. I need to run a couple errands this morning and I'm sure I can find some dust and furries to vacuum. Also need to bake pumpkin cookies for the second time in a week. Otherwise not much planned for the weekend. Monday will be a time crunch to make it to Ian's game but we are planning to go. My dad has been gone 12 years today, doesn't seem possible.

Maggie, I never can get my right nails to look nice. Guess I'm not coordinated with my left hand. I'm assuming you didn't go to the hot dog feast. I always enjoy a good hot dog.

"Gma," I hope you feel better as the day goes along. You sure have put up with the female challenges way too long.

I need to get a move on or the morning will be gone before I get anything done. Enjoy your day!

Last edited by Jean; 10-04-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny not as Hot Saturday

When Will went into Wal*Mart to get a new steering wheel cover for the Jeep he came out with a ger ~prize for me. It is a cold drinking clear purple drinking container that has a clear outer container that doesn’t touch the inner chamber where the cold drink resides so it doesn’t sweat and make the outside damp. Filled with ice it holds a can of soda. It came with a purple straw which was a bit too large for me so I inserted a glass straw the same length I had which works perfectly. I had been using my WW container for my sodas and for my powdered drink both so now I have one for soda and can use the WW one for the drink. I have a top of an old sock that I slip around the outside to keep my hand from getting wet since the container isn’t double walled.

I am so happy the weather has gotten cooler for I prefer this time of the year.

JEAN Hurrah! I found my shades lens ~ it was in a tote bag that I never have put my glasses in. The bag hangs on a cart up against the wall as you enter the back door. Now I know the lens was in the frame when I got out of the Jeep and walked across the backyard and up the steps and through the back door. The glasses were hanging on the front of my blouse and the only way I can figure a lens ended up in that tote bag is that it fell out of the frame right into the top of the bag as I walked passed it. I took the glasses off the front of me and laid them on the kitchen table on the way to the bathroom not noticing the lens being gone at that time. I was after a set of keys today out of that tote bag when I came up with the lens. It is not a bit scratched (it has that scratch proof coating) and it is now in the frame with some clear nail polish coating the top and bottom of the screws.

DONNA FAYE I sure hope the cause of your female problems can be fixed soon. Now that you are getting your house all nice and spiffy you can start planning on your next cruise.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #12  

Good Morning! It's another cloudy, cool day in my corner of the world. There is no wind which makes such a difference. Been to church, read the papers, have a load of laundry in the washer, and part of our dinner is in the oven. Bob is going to grill the meat. Otherwise, not much on the agenda for the rest of the day except to make cookies. I need to get organized for tomorrow and decide what to wear to the meeting and then for the football game. It will have to be a fast change over from one to the next.

Maggie, so glad you found your lens! I'm glad Cecil wasn't the guilty party!

Guess I will defur myself and work on the afghan until lunch is ready. Hope you all enjoy a nice Sunday!
Old 10-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #13  

Good afternoon all. We just had lunch a bit ago and now I am vegging.

Jack downloaded all the photos from the cruise onto the PC and I ordered a cool Christmas present for our friends. I saw this ad on FB for a fleece blanket that you could put pictures on. I downloaded them to the website and then fooled with them the way I wanted and ordered them a blanket for Christmas. I hope they like it. I thought it was a nice memory of our cruise together.

I went upstairs and cleaned bathrooms, stripped the bed and did a load of laundry with the sheets and a couple towels. They should be just about done so I can put them back on the bed.

Jack is watching some travel show about these fancy RVs that people have. I could care less, but he always likes those kind of shows.

Busy week with a day for nails and then Wednesday is my surgical consult apt to set up my surgery. I sure wish they could do laproscopy, but not going to happen.

Maggie: Glad the lens was found. I bought these $200 Juicy Couture sunglasses on the ship that I got for $70 and thought I had lost them! I was plenty mad at myself, but they were safe and sound in the car. I am missing my keys though. I was sure I left them home when I went on the cruise, but I can't find the darn things anywhere.

Jean: We had chicken for lunch and it was pretty darn good. I need to go out and clean up the dishes though. Sounds like a nice quiet day for you for once. We are just hanging out this afternoon too.

You all have a nice day. Faye
Old 10-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #14  

Good morning to you all. Hope your day is starting out well.

We are having a rainy day today. I sure need to get some work done today but it is going to be another rough day physically. I seem to be having a tough day with the female stuff again today.

I finally got the pictures of the cruise up so if you would like to see them, they are on my FB page under Allure of the Seas Cruise 2014.

There is a lot of clunking going on next door. Wonder what they are doing over there. It has been going since about 6 AM! They just remodeled and bought the place a few months ago so I am sure they aren't moving.

Nothing much else going on here. You all have a great day. Faye
Old 10-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Rainey Monday

I am not doing so well this day. Just before it was bed time last evening I started getting a migraine headache. I took some Vanquish and was able to get to sleep but today I am not functioning on full throttle. However, I am so thankful I don’t get the pain ~ just the goofy feeling.

Will has gone to get a blood test to see if his white cell count is up high enough to get a chemo treatment tomorrow. Hopefully the count is high enough and he can get back on track and get these treatments done with.

DONNA FAYE Guess I won't see your pictures since I don't do FB.

Last edited by Maggie; 10-06-2014 at 11:33 AM.