PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 204.5 /145

Height: 5'2

Default acanthosis nigracans help

I have acanthosis nigracans and just recently diagnosed with insulin resistance. it is very dark on my neck and have some discoloration to elbows. has anyone had success on making this go completely away or less noticeable
jscottsgigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/130

Height: 5'8"

I noticed as I started eating healthier and trying to control my insulin resistance with diet, they went away on their own. I don't really think there is anything else you can do about them aside from trying to control the insulin resistance and they should naturally go away.
levoguette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:53 AM   #3  

thank you Levoguette. so there is hope, yeah I was worried there wasn't. Did yours completely go away with the diet or did some remain.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:05 AM   #4  

Well to be honest I haven't really noticed them since changing my diet.
So the color and texture is barely noticeable.

I just looked at my arm (I tend to get marks on the crease inside my elbow, neck, knees, etc) and there is a tiny line, unnoticeable unless you know what you're looking for, of darker color. I'm assuming this is because I have been eating out and eating too many white carbs as of late.

I am pretty sure in the past I have noticed them slightly return when I stop watching my eating or intake too many white carbs and sugars. But it's never been too long for me to get back on track, so they seem to clear up once my diet is in check.

Unfortunately, I don't think there will ever be a "cure" for these! They just seem to come and go entirely dependent on my food choices.
I read an article a long while ago that said that acanthosis nigricans are basically insulin deposits that build up on your skin.
That's why no matter how much scrubbing or special products you may use they won't go away. Before I knew they were related to the IR, I tried microdermabrasion and a chemical peel type of treatment with no luck.
If you think about it, it makes sense!

I wouldn't really look into any particular diet, but just read up on GI load/index, Insulin Resistance Diet, and other grain-free or low-carb diets. This is what I did when I first wanted to become healthier. I basically read up to learn the "rules" and slowly started implementing them into my life. It's all about finding what works best for you and something that you can stick to long term!
Old 08-02-2014, 04:20 AM   #5  

thanks so much for your posts. My coworker is doing a version of Adkins that she modified to fit her lifestyle. I have been trying to convince myself to start it just seems so restrictive. I have had luck before with fitness pal and just watching my calorie intake. I guess it's just time to get more serious.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:39 AM   #6  

I took it slow at first and added in new things every few weeks and am still doing that. For some it's better to ease into it, that way they don't feel entirely restricted and fail. For others it's better to go cold turkey so they don't have any temptation. It's entirely what works better for you.

My first step, like you, was to count calories in addition to switching to whole grain. Then from there I looked into trying new foods and later monitoring the carb/sugar content of the things I eat. My next goal is to try limiting grain based carbs and replace them with more veggies. That one won't be easy for me and also seems really restrictive, but it's a matter of trying it and making it work for yourself and if it doesn't work you can always change and try something different. It's all trial and error! There's no strict right or wrong answer. Everyone is different.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Mine are still fading down. The patch on my ankle is gone, but I have more to go on my elbows still.

Better diet and getting the IR under control does it the most.

If you take BCP, could consider changing what birth control you use. Some of them bother IR so that's something to check on just in case.

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #8  

I don't take any bcp's. I haven't really got my diet started to control my ir do you control yours by diet only
Old 08-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #9  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottsgigi View Post
I have acanthosis nigracans and just recently diagnosed with insulin resistance. it is very dark on my neck and have some discoloration to elbows. has anyone had success on making this go completely away or less noticeable
the only thing that works is eating healthier and limiting carb intake. Back when I was on the south beach diet 8 years ago, I had lost around 50lbs and my neck getting lighter and lighter. But soon as I fell off the wagon and started gaining weight again my neck went back to looking dark again. it can be quite embarrassing. I have invested in different color scarves to match my outfits so i can hide my neck.

as for dark elbows. i'd suggest investing in some water proof foundation and apply it to your elbows to cover it up. I have dark elbows and knees and i usually take a foundation brush and buff it into the dark areas. however i found that trying to blend foundation in a dark neck doesn't work that well.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 337.7/336.8/269

Height: 5'6

I am also a sufferer of this condition, and it sucks, I've had it since childhood. It is a very noticeable color difference between my predominantly brown skin and my black neck. That said, these are the things that are said to help -
Glycolic acid
Lactic acid
Retin-A
low-carb lifestyle
Weight loss
Metformin

I have had this condition since childhood and I'm now in my early 30's, there is a girl on Youtube named Divaslimsdown who also had this condition and it faded to normal w/her 100+ lb. weight loss. I am hoping for similar results, I've used glycolic and lactic acid over the years but not consistently, and haven't really tried the other methods. I will definitely post if weight loss appears to rid me of this condition, it usually makes me feel worse than being large.

Also Omega 3 fatty acids (found in cold water fish, walnuts, flaxseed, grass fed beef, etc.) may help as well. Right now for supplements I am taking Natrol Cinnamon Chromium Biotin tablets, Deva Vegan Hair Nails and Skin vitamins w/Biotin, Deva Vegan Flaxseed Oil Omega 3 supplements and I drink a little apple cider vinegar everyday mixed with water to lower my blood sugar. I have never been diagnosed with diabetes but I am insulin resistant and have PCOS so that with calorie counting will hopefully alleviate the problem in time.

Also please check out Using trichloroacetic acid in the treatment of acanthosis nigricans: a pilot study here is the link (if it is allowed it appears to be a government website) -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22494198
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

I started seeing traces of this in the folds under my arms at around 215 lbs.

While the sprouting lip hairs and belly fat apparently weren't motivating enough to get my act together, losing the hair on my head and developing such a hallmark sign of disordered metabolism (and thus obesity) sure was! It is completely gone at just under 200lbs.

I don't hardcore low carb, more moderate carb and no cheaply produced white flour/corn junk.
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 302/294/160

Height: 170 cm

Growing up I had no idea what caused the 'black neck'. I was mercilessly teased as a pre-teen/teenager. It was generally assumed that i must have poor hygiene (which couldn't have been further from the truth). I have a feeling my parents must have thought so as well.

I didn't notice that things had improved until well into my first weight loss journey.

I have, however, noticed that it has returned - my neck looks awful and it's incredibly embarrassing. I overheard people behind me talking about it and hadn't realized it was so prominent.

Weight loss and appropriate carb control does help! Mine had disappeared entirely.
Bardess is offline   Reply With Quote