Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default IE - Books and Resources

Let's compile a list of books and web resources that we can refer to for material, I only have a few so far.

Books:
Intuitive Eating - Tribole, Resch
Overfed Head - Rob Stevens
Overcoming Overeating - Hirschmann, Munter

blogs/websites
http://isabelfoxenduke.com/ - a food coach with great emails
http://www.refinery29.com/the-anti-diet-project The Anti-Diet Project. One woman's journey into IE
http://www.freewebs.com/consciouseaters/

Last edited by Palestrina; 05-26-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #2  

How to Have Your Cake and Your Skinny Jeans Too: Stop Binge Eating, Overeating and Dieting For Good Get the Naturally Thin Body You Crave From the Inside Out (Binge Eating Solution) : Josie Spinardi ( she doesn't get much into emotional eating though)

Starting Monday :Karen Koenig ( this deals with heavy duty emotional eating and the internal conflicts that keep us from honoring our hunger or emotionally eating anyway)

The Rules of "Normal" Eating: Karen Koenig ( I haven't read this, the title seems a little triggery but it looks like it has lots of good stuff in it.)

Breaking Free from Emotional Eating: Geneen Roth

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 05-26-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #3  

Another book:

Beyond Chocolate by Audrey and Sophie Boss.
I really want to check this one out. I read the sample last night.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #4  

Thanks Pink, you sure do read a lot.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Thanks Pink, you sure do read a lot.
LOL yes, yes I do. When Im interested in something, I kind of tend to research it to death. If I had an unlimited budget I would read even more, but sadly my husband doesn't think spending huge amounts of money on emotional eating IE books is fiscally wise. Party pooper.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 05-29-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhippie View Post
LOL yes, yes I do. When Im interested in something, I kind of tend to research it to death. If I had an unlimited budget I would read even more, but sadly my husband doesn't think spending huge amounts of money on emotional eating IE books is fiscally wise. Party pooper.
Books used to be a point of contention between me and hubby too, he mostly doesn't like them piling up and collecting dust as they tend to do. But since I've gone digital with my iTunes hooked up to my personal account there's nothing to argue over anymore. I carry a long list of books with me at all times on my smartphone and he's fine with it.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #7  

Quote:
Books used to be a point of contention between me and hubby too, he mostly doesn't like them piling up and collecting dust as they tend to do. But since I've gone digital with my iTunes hooked up to my personal account there's nothing to argue over anymore. I carry a long list of books with me at all times on my smartphone and he's fine with it.
My husband is almost a full on hoarder. So, he doesn't give me a hard time in that respect. But, buying an e reader changed my reading life. I love it soooo much. I was very resistant at first because I love paper books but I have to admit it is great to have all my favorite books on my phone and to be able to have instant gratification to download a book from Amazon or Barnes and Noble.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #8  

I find these videos by Josie Spinardi really helpful. I tap into them once in a while for inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPcy...SUmRb8B2WAVCRE
Old 09-26-2014, 05:56 AM   #9  

Isabel Foxen Duke has been a source of inspiration. I find her blog and newsletters to be informative and relevant to IE. She has begun a Masterclass video series to help women get over their obsession with food. The first 3 videos are completely free and there is the option to register in her masterclass series. Check out the free videos here:

http://stopfightingfood.com/video_series/
Old 09-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #10  

I watched those videos the other day too!

I also like Caroline Haagen the owner of the F- it diet website. I like what she has to say in her occasional emails. Like this one.

There were a lot of things that went into my final surrender and decision to stop dieting.

There were also a lot of things I did to facilitate my healing process, because it did not happen overnight. It happened in a series of epiphanies, intuitive hunches, leaps, lots and lots of lots of food, a good amount of fear, and regular worrying that maybe I was insane and would heavily regret my decision to eat everything I could for months on end.

(FYI, I don't regret it. My intuition had been right.)

But one of the big and crazy things I did, was make a huge shift in thinking:

Instead of thinking that food was my body's enemy: just calories and toxins that had to be closely monitored and controlled...

I shifted to genuinely believing that my body needed lots and lots of food, that it could handle lots of food at a time, like any other healthy body, and that "calories in" doesn't need to translate to "weight gained", but instead to a nourished body, nourished cells, repaired metabolism, and better body functioning in general.

This was a huge leap of faith for me, someone who had yo-yo dieted in eating disorder land for 10 years, and my weight yo-yo-ing right along with it.

Basically, I started believing that food, and lots of it, was metabolism medicine.

I also started acting on the idea that eating anything low-calorie was a waste of time and money and everything else, (unless I craved it). I figured... I have wasted 10 years being really really hungry most of the time (while I wasn't bingeing), eating stupid salads and weird disgusting foods and worrying I ate too much but starving 45 minutes later because I hadn't actually ever eaten enough. I decided to do the opposite... For example, I am currently eating granola with cream in it instead of milk. Because... duh.

And you know me, I don't like putting too much focus on weight, or wanting to be thin, because I genuinely know that food and body liberation doesn't come until we let go of that skewed view of weight and desire to be small above all else. Accepting a new standard of beauty, and choosing to love ourselves wherever we fall is SO IMPORTANT.

But I still believed that it would serve me, my health, and whatever weight I was supposed to be, to EAT. And EAT and eat and eat and eat. To feed my hunger. To befriend my hunger. To see my hunger as a sign of life.

Hunger is a sign of LIFE and vitality.

There are plenty of writings on metabolism you could find to support my whimsical, gut-based hunch. But still, it was a radical belief to follow, and still I followed it because my intuition was that strong. (Though I occasionally had my doubts "WHAT am I DOING?".)

And what happened? My crazy idea came true. Eating is easy. No matter how much I eat, everything is basically stabilized and normal and doesn't take any thought at all.

Also, on the flip side of how I ever was before: I forget to eat all the time now, and have to remind myself, then I eat lots and lots and lots, but no matter how much I eat- I am thinner than I ever was before. Again, I do not want to idolize skinniness. I don't. It is not the point.

The point is, the body WORKS with food. The body can HANDLE FOOD. Food is NOT the enemy.

SHIFT your beliefs about food, eating, metabolism, and nourishment, and amazing things can happen.

This is basically exactly how I started thinking and it really really helped.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #11  

Thanks for my new quote!
Old 09-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #12  

Quote:
Thanks for my new quote!
Im glad what I shared resonated. I really recommend for everyone embarking on IE to read Caroline Haagen and Isabelle Foxen Duke. They more than anyone I think really help to get people over the whole "eat when you're hungry stop when you're full" diet mentality that we can so easily slip into when doing IE.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Keep the book suggestions coming! I read constantly. I love reading self help books because they seem to reinforce my resolve and keep me on the straight and narrow. I get most of mine from the library as I don't have the funds to be buying them.

I do have an ereader, but as far as fiction books go, I buy used paperbacks and also trade with a friend. When we are finished with them, they get donated to the library's used book sale. So no book clutter here!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #14  

Quote:
They more than anyone I think really help to get people over the whole "eat when you're hungry stop when you're full" diet mentality that we can so easily slip into when doing IE.
Isn't that what IE is?
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Isn't that what IE is?
No, it's not what IE is all about. It's a principle of IE but it's much too easy to see the hunger/fullness as yey another set of rules and restrictions. IE is about learning to listen to all your body's needs including hunger, intimacy, exercise. It's about honoring your needs and living guilt free. Even if I as only listening to my hunger I can't tell you how many times I've felt guilt over eating something that I thought I shouldn't, hunger be darned. That's not IE.