Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-15-2014, 11:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Default Revaluating my plan, would appreciate some input

Hey guys!

So I have been trying to play around with foods recently to make them more grad student friendly, and I just wanted to see what you guys would think of it. I wanted to keep it low carb so here it goes! Everything is weighted out with measuring spoons/digital kitchen scale.

Breakfast (I like to keep it light for breakfast) (295)
Oatbran mixed with 2 eggs
slice of pepper jack cheese

Lunch (400)
4 oz meat (chicken breast)
6oz broccoli slaw
1tsbp mayo (I use the regular stuff, zero carb and high fat since it's my only source of fat)
1 tsbp mae ploy sweet chili sauce

Dinner (350)
4 oz tuna
1 tbsp mayo
1tsbp mae ploy sweet chili sauce
6oz of steamed brocc/cauliflower mix

Snacks
-2 carbmaster yogurts throughout the day (120 cals)
-almond+ dark choc chips mix (300 cals) ----> I think I need to drop this

So my total calories for the day is around 1500. Is that too high? I exercise 6x a week for an hour so I figure if I at least burn 300 (stairmaster which gives me a **** of a workout!) I would net 1200? I also doing circuit training at the gym 3x a week now! Our school offers free training services so I'm taking advantage of that.

I like these food because I don't feel like I'm on a diet when I'm eating them. Granted I've been eating like this for two weeks and haven't seen a drop in the scale, but it's still only two weeks. What do you guys think? Drop the mayo and mae ploy sauce? Should I add in anything?

My BMR is supposed to be around 1473 cals, so I feel like I'm pushing it sometimes with my intake, but school/studying makes me hungry and I don't want my grades to suffer.

The number crunching is driving me a little crazy too. I used to drop weight so quickly and now it takes forever to see the scale move. Not complaining since it's not going up, but still! Ah I'm so impatient!

Last edited by hhm6; 09-15-2014 at 11:23 PM.
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Seems ok to me but you need to monitor and adjust as needed over time.

I would advocate weight lifting over cardio but do what you enjoy.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:35 PM   #3  

Thanks JohnP!

I really like the burn from cardio to be honest!

Apart from lifting weights, is there anything (diet wise) that might help drop weight a little faster? Oh and how often should we adjust? Like every 10lbs or so? I've been eating this amount of calories since I weighed in the 180s to be honest (sometimes I ate even less) but I'm finding it harder to drop lower than this in school, for some weird reason.

Last edited by hhm6; 09-15-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5`2

I'd drop the cheese and add some beans. Maybe use the mayo with olive oil in it.
InATizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by InATizzy View Post
I'd drop the cheese and add some beans. Maybe use the mayo with olive oil in it.
Thanks InATizzy! I love beans but I'm trying to keep it low carb since I've seen the most success with that, just curious what type of beans are you talking about?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:56 PM   #6  
maintaining since 9/2013

Two weeks isn't very long. I'd say to give it a little time and also consider tracking your measurements--pick just one area if you like, like waist or abdomen, or a thigh. Maybe you are building up muscle mass from your workouts thus masking your fat loss on the scale.

Great that you like your menu! It's likely to be a sustainable plan. If you do something more stringent, you may burn out before you get to your goal or in maintenance.

That said, I would consider switching out the chocolate or perhaps eat it shortly before your workout. I never could lose a pound as long as chocolate or peanut butter was in my diet.

FWIW, I did very low carb, Ideal Protein diet. They have an interesting method for maintenance that may also help in weight loss phase: keep carbs and fats separate as much as possible. A carb meal would be ~ 3:1 carbs to fat grams and vice versa for a fat meal. The thinking is that it's carbs and fat together that cause insulin to store fat so keeping them separate prevents that... chocolate could be a hindrance.

Good luck!

Last edited by mars735; 09-16-2014 at 07:47 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Diet wise, it looks good to me, but I would also take out the chocolate. You could try some calorie cycling to keep your body guessing. Workout wise, I would try some HIIT a few times a week, which I've read is a great way to burn fat. I'll bet you've lost weight but are retaining water, since that tends to happen with workouts. I think you're doing great. Take photos as another way to track progress. I really wish I had done that. See how your clothes are fitting and I also think measurements are a great tool.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Skip the mayo, cheese, chocolate and almonds and you are good to go.

Last edited by IanG; 09-16-2014 at 08:50 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

Maybe just portion control? I don't know if this applies to you, but i tend to become too flexible with portion sizes and the calories slowly start to creep up. I'd rather have slightly smaller snacks and meals than to cut and entire snack (almonds and dark chocolate). I'd propably use less mayo, but then again i'm a vegetarian and don't use a low-carb approach to my eating habits.

Also, i don't think you should eat less than this, because you are very active!

Last edited by Marina Brasil; 09-16-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Skip the mayo, cheese, chocolate and almonds and you are good to go.
Yeah the chocolate and almond should go the mayo and cheese are my only source of fats though, still ditch them?
Old 09-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I feel like I have no standing to contradict IanG, who has had such amazing success, but I'd hesitate to drop the fat from your diet. Give yourself some more time. Two weeks isn't very long and all that working out, at least for me, leads to water retention that can mask true weight loss.

Also, 1500 calories absolutely does not seem to be too much.

I found these recent New York Times articles about low-carb-with-fat eating to be very interesting:

http://nyti.ms/1pjKjg2

http://nyti.ms/1u723Sk

Best of luck to you!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I would say I don't think any of those things need to go. I eat chocolate, regular mayo, nuts...I have cheese at almost every meal. I eat 1550 calories a day and I'm continuing to lose at a 1.5 to 2 lbs per week.

Over the course of the last 5-6 months, I've dropped my calories from 1750 to 1550. I know I'll have to keep doing this as I get closer to goal. But before I do, I allow myself a month to make sure it isn't just my cycle playing havoc with the scale. And when I do drop my calories, I always find a way to incorporate the things I like so I don't feel like I'm on a diet.

I realize this is just my experience and it may not be the same for you, but I'd consider giving it a little more time before making a change. What's a few more weeks, right?
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #13  

That is true! Honestly I might only ditch the chocolate and almonds because it tends to make me crave more chocolate/cakey type things so I might ditch for some diet soda or something.

Thank you all for the replies!

I know this might not be the right place to ask, but how often do you switch up your workouts? I used to run a lot but got bored, now I do the stairmaster and it makes me super tired, but I feel like im just focusing on my legs and will have a flabby upper body? Or does it not work that way?

I guess I hear some people say they lost all their weight off an elliptical whereas others say they had to switch it up because they never saw a loss. Should I just trust my HRM and workout until I'm burning into the calorie range I want?
Old 09-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #14  

Hi guys!

So I've checked my weight today I am 177 =(

I don't know what I'm doing wrong now. I feel like it's not water weight since I've been eating the same thing, stopped working out this week since we have block exams, and I'm gaining. I can also feel it too. Everything is tight, and I'm so uncomfortable, AND I'm always hungry!!!! I've been chewing on gum, diet soda, and keeping within my cal range, but I'm miserable!! I feel like giving up and just binging on carbs right now!!

Should I drop the calories more maybe? Since I stopped exercising? I need to find foods that give me more for less calories or something. I feel like I'm going downhill at the moment, and it's really depressing. ughhh weightloss is so hard at times like this!!!
Old 09-26-2014, 01:26 AM   #15  
(they're flowers)

S/C/G: 174/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'4''

Diet soda can definitely cause you to crave sugar more, so I'd personally keep that in mind if you have any types of sugary cravings. With that said, I still drink diet soda daily (bad on me!) and am able to still lose (as of now). I noticed you're attempting low carb, but I'm just curious...would you ever consider attempting low sugar? I know that type of eating lifestyle isn't for everyone, but it is something that works for me. If you wanted to consider something like that, you could try cutting the sweet chili sauce and replacing it with a low sugar sauce variant (personally I'm a sucker for buffalo sauce).

Also, I might just be super oblivious, but I just Googled this carbmaster yogurt thing. Where in the sane heck do you find that?! I can definitely ditch the Dannon Light & Fit for that, judging by that sugar count! (Though I stopped yogurt altogether because I couldn't account for one yogurt being over half my daily allowance of sugar) Is it costly?

Another thing that I let myself have from time to time is a diet soda float with no sugar added ice cream.

^ For the record (if you happen to want to read up on this more), I'm following Jorge Cruise's Belly Fat Cure, which allows up to 15g of sugar and 6 servings (up to 120g) of carbs per day. I do try to keep the carb count down to half that, but it works for me.
Atarimae is offline   Reply With Quote