Old 09-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #1  
Really Doing

Height: 5'7

Smile Tips for lower abdominals...

Right, so...

This is really embarrassing but I really need some advice. I have a lower ab 'pooch' if you will, like an apron. I've not even had kids but just from gaining weight when I was at my heaviest. It is the bane of my life, honestly. I hate to even be touched there. I have been doing lots of cardio, which I heard helps. I do 4-8 miles about 5 times a week, with one or two of them jogging. I hate it so much and I was just wondering does anyone have any tips on how to help get rid of it? Or make it shrink more? It's getting smaller but I would love for it to just be gone. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks.
reallytrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #2  
Really Doing

No? No one?
Old 09-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #3  
Losing it every day...

S/C/G: 303.8/ticker/155

I have the same problem- even when I lost weight it stayed. Someone on another thread once posted that it can take 2 years for the skin to firm up after weight loss.

I hate mine. I may save up for surgery when I get to my goal weight.
twish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

I've heard from several personal trainers that you can't "spot reduce". To just focus on building lean muscle and strengthening your core. You might talk to a trainer to get more info - THEY never seem to have a pooch!
Frances123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I have the fat apron too, and I could pay my therapist's mortgage off if I took the time to vent my pathological feelings of hatred about it.

I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has any good exercises. My back could use the help from a stronger lower abdominal area as I have that pelvic tilt forward that comes from so much extra weight in the front.

I don't kid myself into thinking any exercise is going to spot reduce the apron. After more weight loss attempts than some folks have had hot meals, I know where my body loses fat is completely arbitrary. The only consistent part of the pattern seems to be that the boobs ( yay! ) and the apron ( boo! ) are the last things to go.

I've never been thin enough to see them go completely, and I don't think a) I could be thin enough and b) I'd want to be thin enough.

At my age, I think I need to have a little meat on my bones.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #6  
Really Doing

Mine has shrunk a lot, to where if I wear spanxs, you can't tell it's there. But I want to cry when I see it in the mirror. Honest to God, my top abs are getting lines on the sides and down then middle and then I have this droopy pooch. I have heard loads of cardio. Well, I am doing it and it is going down but I just wanted to know if there were any exercises to strengthen the muscles down there. Honestly, when I get to goal, if it's not gone, I'll go and have the operation. I hate it so much. Glad to see I am not alone.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #7  
Less of a Better Me

Reduction of fat can help to some extent. Strengthening the muscles won't really get rid of fat. They may firm up the muscles, but it won't get rid of the fat on top of the muscles.

This is why some people have surgery after losing lots of weight.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #8  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

I have wrinkles and sagging from my eyebrows to my kneecaps! HA! Bat wings, apron and everything else ...even surgery scars look different now. I also heard you can't spot reduce...the fat comes off where the fat comes off!! I think about surgery but I think that's all I will ever do...think about it! Be kind to yourself..you have come so far!!
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote