Old 09-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/148.4/148

Height: 5'9"

Default Alternative products that will work on Phase 1 Part 5

Time for a new thread...
Old 09-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #2  

Here us the link to the previous one, which will be helpful at first
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-part-4-a.html

For those who don't go back to the previous thread to find the info (recommend as much research as possible!), here is info on how to pick an alternative product:

If you need specific info on WHAT to eat on IP, go here:
IP Protocol Sheets (this info is linked every day on the first post of the daily chat thread)

Here's a detailed breakdown to consider:
- under 160 calories = Unrestricted (though MOST IP packets range from 90-120)
- 160-200 calories = Restricted (once/daily)
slightly over 200 cals (or 30% fat) is super-restricted (once/weekly)
- less than 30% cal from fat (multiply cals from fat x 3; OK if lower than total cals.)
- under 8 g net carbs - unrestricted
- 9g-16g net carbs - restricted
- 17g net carbs - super restricted (only once/twice per week)
- above 17g net carbs is too high to be good for Phase 1
- at least 12-15g protein (don’t go much above 20g regularly)

* NET = Total carbs minus fiber (some people also subtract all sugar alcohols from total carbs; some subtract half; some choose to not subtract any...... sugar alcohols can affect your body similarly to sugar with spikes) Also remember NO Aspartame!

Here is a less-detailed infographic:

Last edited by lisa32989; 09-21-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

I don't know how to reference across threads but thank you JLUS for your response to the Alternative bars that are unrestricted. Anyone else know of unrestricted alternative bars that you would recommend?
Old 09-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 168/148.4/148

Height: 5'9"

shasta - I haven't tried them personally, but after doing some research it appears as though some of the Simply Protein bars meet the requirements of an unrestricted item. The ones that would qualify are the Lemon Coconut, Cocoa Coffee, Cocoa Raspberry, Caramel Peanut & Cinnamon Pecan. Be sure to double check the labels though in case I miscalculated... The reviews indicate the flavor is mild & the bar isn't overly sweet like most protein bars. The texture described in the reviews is 'crispy & kind of on the dry side'. A previous query I threw out there asking if anyone had tried them said they are a nice change from a quest bar from occasion & describe them as Rice Krispie bar-ish.

They also have Simply Protein Mini bars (and again, please follow up with your own calculations in case I'm off) & it appears as though the salty peanut crunch bars would qualify as an unrestricted if you ate 3 of them.

If you give them a whirl please post your review of them!
Old 09-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #5  

I just wanted to share (hope this is the right place) that I just lost another 3.5 lbs. this week doing IP alternatives (as I am allergic to most IP and other products) .

18 lbs. since Aug. 8th isn't bad considering I'm 54 and have PCOS, hypothyroid and am allergic many things including gluten and sucralose. When there's a will, there's a way.

I finally got my ticker right so I think we're good!

Last edited by Adventuregurl; 09-17-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAvery View Post
shasta - I haven't tried them personally, but after doing some research it appears as though some of the Simply Protein bars meet the requirements of an unrestricted item. The ones that would qualify are the Lemon Coconut, Cocoa Coffee, Cocoa Raspberry, Caramel Peanut & Cinnamon Pecan. Be sure to double check the labels though in case I miscalculated... The reviews indicate the flavor is mild & the bar isn't overly sweet like most protein bars. The texture described in the reviews is 'crispy & kind of on the dry side'. A previous query I threw out there asking if anyone had tried them said they are a nice change from a quest bar from occasion & describe them as Rice Krispie bar-ish.

They also have Simply Protein Mini bars (and again, please follow up with your own calculations in case I'm off) & it appears as though the salty peanut crunch bars would qualify as an unrestricted if you ate 3 of them.

If you give them a whirl please post your review of them!
I managed to get a hold of the Simply bars in Lemon Coconut. But my grocery store was clearing them out because they didn't sell like the other bars (duh- they are nowhere near as chocolate barish as the other so called protein bars.) Now I can't find them anywhere near me and would just have to break down & order them online. They are gluten free and dairy free and soy free. They are indeed Rice-Crispyish and not very sweet at all. If you are looking for more of a 'treat' bar and can stand some of the other ingredients you'd best look elsewhere.
That said - I liked them, because they weren't overly sweet and they didn't include a bunch of ingredients I would rather do without in my extra protein choices.
I would suggest trying out a few flavours 1 bar at a time if you have access nearby before deciding to order boxes. They are the kind of thing that you will either think "yuk! how boring," or "yay! NOT like a chocolate bar."

Liana
Old 09-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Free shipping at Nashua Today only

On all orders over $49 use TODAY49 for free shipping. Today only.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Goal: 150

Height: 5'8"

Hi! I was the one who had tried the Simply bars and described the ones I had tried. I should clarify that I have only tried the whey based bars, which are restricted by my calculation. The soy Simply bars may be unrestricted but I don't know because I try to avoid soy as the main ingredient for my protein.
I'd love to hear of any other unrestricted bars esp ones with whey protein.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:13 AM   #9  

Default quick meal

I have just discovered at my local Target, an option for a fast meal. Not a bar or IP substitute, but for the real food meal on those days where there is no kitchen time.

Atkins has frozen meals for the microwave. Four different ones at my store. An example is the Chicken & Brocolli Alfredo for 9g total carbs and 26 g protein for 330 calories.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:23 AM   #10  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilacPants View Post
I have just discovered at my local Target, an option for a fast meal. Not a bar or IP substitute, but for the real food meal on those days where there is no kitchen time.

Atkins has frozen meals for the microwave. Four different ones at my store. An example is the Chicken & Brocolli Alfredo for 9g total carbs and 26 g protein for 330 calories.
Unfortunately, Atkins foods are usually not IP-compliant. Atkins allows a MUCH higher fat content than is allowable on P1. Also if the dish contains any pasta, cream sauces or veggies that aren't on the P1 list they cannot be used on P1. It's about more than just the carbs and calories!
Old 09-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #11  
IP start date: 6/23/14

S/C/G: 294/202/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Unfortunately, Atkins foods are usually not IP-compliant. Atkins allows a MUCH higher fat content than is allowable on P1. Also if the dish contains any pasta, cream sauces or veggies that aren't on the P1 list they cannot be used on P1. It's about more than just the carbs and calories!
Also, you need 8 ounces of chicken (using chicken only because of the Atkins meal example) at your dinner meal which would have more like 50 grams of protein. We are restricted enough...you dont want to skimp on what you are allowed to have.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5'5"

Default purchase 1 IP product?

Hi Everyone,

I am using alternatives for 90% of my food but really do like 1 thing by IP and I would like to buy that. I would like to buy the broccoli and cheddar soup online.

Does anyone know where to get it?

Thanks,
Blueskies2
Old 09-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #13  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies2 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am using alternatives for 90% of my food but really do like 1 thing by IP and I would like to buy that. I would like to buy the broccoli and cheddar soup online.

Thanks,
Blueskies2
The only website that I knew of which sold actual IP product switched to alternative products about a year and a half ago. I don't think IP allows their product to be sold outside of a clinic?
Old 09-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies2 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Blueskies2
There is one seller on Ebay that I think Lisa uses. Try looking there. I think she said they don't charge shipping?
Old 09-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #15  

FWIW I didn't like the Simply Protein Whey bars at all. I ate one and returned the rest. I MUCH prefer Quest bars.
Closed Thread